• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I ditch my M1A for a DSA FAL?

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
I have an M1A and am thinking about ditching it for a folding stocked DSA FAL. My main concern is the M1A's long term field reliability. Seems like the FAL runs better in a dirty combat enviornment. I want to have a .308 that runs and runs even though its not my main go to rifle.

Re: Should I ditch my M1A for a DSA FAL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F no. </div></div> Could'nt have said it better myself.

My main concern is that the FAL will run much longer in much worse conditions with less cleaning. Granted any rifle needs to be cleaned but I prefer the one that needs less. I want it for a survival rifle to defend a postion. Im going to be tired, hungrey, and the last thing I want is a rifle that needs to be cleaned durring down time.

I love my M1A but was wondering what advantages a FAL would have? Is one more reliable than the other in extended, woodlands, (rain, snow, mud, dirt, etc), conditions?

Maybe I will keep my M1A and buy a National match. I want to have a suppressed .308 with optics but it needs to run every time I pull the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F no. </div></div> Could'nt have said it better myself. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+2</span>

I would trade a SA M1A for a DSA FAL. But this debate is in the list with 45 vs 9, AR vs AK, ford vs chevy.....

I think the FAL has an edge in reliability and I like the machined forging vs the SA Cast reciever. Now if we were talking LRB.....my answer would likely be different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F no. </div></div> Could'nt have said it better myself. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+2</span> </div></div> +3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to have a .308 that runs and runs even though its not my main go to rifle. </div></div>

... Sell the M1A and upgrade to an M14 custom built to
your specifications on a new SEI M14 Barstock Receiver.

DSC05910.jpg

Better options then both if your looking for a .308 battle rifle, such as a LMT MWS.

I have a DS Arms SA58 Carbine I bought about six years ago. I had it Duracoated black. I was looking at the M1A as well but the FAL is quite a bit easier to clean and maintain than the M1A. Parts like magazines used to be readily available and cheap a few years ago too. I recently put a rear peep sight on it much like an AR15 rear sight. It has helped my consistency in accuracy (or lack thereof). LOL

My FAL is my goto SHTF weapon, but I still want a M1A someday.

where did you get the reciever? I was told you could only get one if you bought it as a complete rifle

I had a fal and a M1A socom and I still have the socom traded the Fal off both are good I just think the M1A is the USA go to battle rifle lots of goodies for them too my two cents

they all have their positives and negatives. for a really dirty enviroment i would not want a DI AR10. a SCAR could work, FAL, M1A all of em are good, its all down to personal preference i think and which fits you best.

I have both and really like both but for a pure SHTF I give the edge to the FAL. Its not an accident its the most widely distributed .30 caliber battle rifle distributed to several nations.

M14 for this nation and a few others.

The M14 has been distributed to: Argentina, Greece, Israel, the Philippines, South Vietnam, Taiwan, Turkey, Venezuela, Chile, Columbia, Iceland (which doesn’t have a military), and Lebanon in the 1970s and 1980s and the new Baltic countries of Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia in the 1990's.

M-14s were seen in the hands of Nicaraguan Contras, Eritrean rebels and Angolan freedom fighters in the 1980s. While many thousands of these weapons have in turn been retired and scrapped in these countries they are still seen regularly in photographs taken by war correspondents from those regions. In 2009 a German warship captured Somali pirates who were armed with former US M14s. Taiwan, in addition to receiving thousands of surplus US weapons acquired the tooling for the weapons from H&R and have produced locally some one million M-14s ( designated the Type 57 rifle) for general issue.

M14 adopted by:
USA
Taiwan

FAL adopted by:
Angola Argentina Australia Austria Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belgium Belize Bolivia Botswana Brazil Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Chad Chile Colombia Costa Rica Cyprus Congo Djibouti Dominican Republic Ecuador Fiji Gambia Ghana Greece Guyana Honduras India Ireland Israel Jamaica Kenya Kuwait Lebanon Liberia Libya Luxembourg Malawi Malaysia Malta Mexico Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Nepal Netherlands New Zealand Nigeria Oman Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Portugal Rwanda Saint Vincente Grenadines South Africa Sri Lanka Suriname Swaziland Syria Tanzania Thailand Togo Trinidad Tobago Tunisia Turkey Uganda United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Uruguay Venezuela West Germany Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

like springer m1a alot and it definately has an edge in accuracy especially if mounted with a decent optic over the cia clone FAL ive played with. but id prolly give the edge to FAL design in a dirty environment where match ammo aint available anyway. granted ive not got to play with any dsa rigs to date which might make my m1a love fade a bit if theyre all they claim to be.

It comes back to personal preference, they're both good. Ideally, if I could keep the M1A and save up for a FAL I would. But given the choice of only one I prefer the FAL.

This is really a non-starter. Bottom line is, you will run out of ammo before a well maintained M14/FAL malfunctions. Most modern weaponary will function at least several thousand rounds before they malfunction....so....PICK WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both.....Gonna keep em both.... </div></div>
Me too, good advise

One of each! Always the best option!
laugh.gif

I'm not an FAL fan, personally, but whatever floats yer boat...just don't expect a lot of accuracy. Both are fun to have if only for the historical value behind them. But then, so is an AK, and an M1 carbine, and a Garand, and an '03 Springfield, and a Lee-Enfield, etc., etc.

It never ends until the money runs out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
M14 adopted by:
USA
Taiwan

FAL adopted by:
Angola Argentina Australia Austria Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belgium Belize Bolivia Botswana Brazil Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Chad Chile Colombia Costa Rica Cyprus Congo Djibouti Dominican Republic Ecuador Fiji Gambia Ghana Greece Guyana Honduras India Ireland Israel Jamaica Kenya Kuwait Lebanon Liberia Libya Luxembourg Malawi Malaysia Malta Mexico Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Nepal Netherlands New Zealand Nigeria Oman Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Portugal Rwanda Saint Vincente Grenadines South Africa Sri Lanka Suriname Swaziland Syria Tanzania Thailand Togo Trinidad Tobago Tunisia Turkey Uganda United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Uruguay Venezuela West Germany Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe </div></div>

Not to mention that the FAL served for over 50 years as a standard issue weapon in many first world western countries. The M14 served for less than 5 years as a main battle rifle and is now being used as a stop-gap "marksmans" weapon in very limited numbers.

If you ask this question on any American gun board, the vast majority of the responders will pick the M14 due to emotional attachment to the weapon/design since it was a very popular service rifle/match gun.

From a functional standpoint, I would pick the FAL based on:
-Ease of use/maintenance (you can disassemble and pull the bolt in less than 5 seconds)
-Reliability (you can shoot hot ammo without bending your op-rod by adjusting the gas system and it will digest all ammo)
-Ergonomics (including the position of the safety and charging handle, which is non-reciprocating)
-Cheaper (you can buy a new DSA FAL for way less than the price of a used M14 with junk cast parts)
-Much easier to mount a scope

The M14 has a very slight edge in accuracy mostly due to the fact that it has far better adjustable irons than the FAL.

Larry Vickers posted an article on his site about this topic that is a very worthwhile read:
http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/battle-rifles/

All that being said however, if I was in the market for a .308 semi battle rifle right now, the obvious choice would be the SCAR 17S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not to mention that the FAL served for over 50 years as a standard issue weapon in many first world western countries. The M14 served for less than 5 years as a main battle rifle and is now being used as a stop-gap "marksmans" weapon in very limited numbers.</div></div>

tired.gif

sleep.gif

Sounds like you need an ak47. Never worry about cleaning and it always works.

I always hear that the FAL's arent accurate and that maybe so for the most part. With surplus my DSA STG58 will shoot your average 4 or 5 inches at 100yds with good glass But with FGMM or handloads with 168 matchkings it shoot well enough to where some will argue the fact so I wont mention it but I will say It's made the run to south Texes several time's to spank some Wild piggies. And as far as accuracy goes mine will out shoot my M1A SocomII hands down I dont think you can go wrong either way.....

Someone brought up the SCAR 17... that should work after missing the initial public jump on it and working out some issues in a few months.