• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I get a PRS???

chuter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm looking real close at the Magpul PRS for my AR-10T. Anyone have good or bad experiences with those stocks? Eventually I'd consider adding the mono-pod to it.

Re: Should I get a PRS???

I love mine but there are others who prefer the A2 because they believe the PRS offers no functionality other than to look "tacticool".

Perhaps someone should tell these guys in the sandbox (Iraq) that the Magpul PRS is only useful as a "tacticool" item.

105696wb2.jpg

9d1b1a1c2aabc4402c1a042b2a65d3f4-gr.jpg

oiakg5.jpg

Have a PRS on my .308 REPR. No issues what so ever. Would recommend you replace the sling plates that come with it with the Cascadia Armament QD's though.

I love mine, but it is just alittle heavy compaired to others. Bought mine from Valhalla Tactical supply with the mono-pod on it for a good prise.

I'm a big guy and like the adjustable stock vs the A2. The A2 is too cramped for me prone. They are heavy though.. so I only put on my bigger stationary rifles like my 20" AR10 and 20" AR15.

Really like mine on the .223 AR platform but not so much on the .308. The shorter cheek piece on the .308 is too short to be of any use for me, the center of my cheek ends up right at the begining of the comb. So I leave the cheek piece down, wish I would of gone with the UBR.

To all: thanks for the input. An online retailer called "Need More Gear" has them for around $176, no mono-pod though. VTS didn't show the AR-10 version and OEM is well... full retail.
My 10 has the standard stock and I dont' want to add a "pad" for the cheek weld like on my M1A.
Again thanks and Merry Christmas. (yes, this is my Christmas gift to myself)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all: thanks for the input. An online retailer called "Need More Gear" has them for around $176, no mono-pod though. VTS didn't show the AR-10 version and OEM is well... full retail.
My 10 has the standard stock and I dont' want to add a "pad" for the cheek weld like on my M1A.
Again thanks and Merry Christmas. (yes, this is my Christmas gift to myself) </div></div>

If you can get an AR-15 model cheap, you can buy the AR-10 cheekpiece from Magpul and still come out ahead. Also the monopod is from Accushot, so it is not included with the stock.

I have one on my LR-308 and it made all the difference in the world. I would buy one for every prone AR I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine but there are others who prefer the A2 because they believe the PRS offers no functionality other than to look "tacticool".

Perhaps someone should tell these guys in the sandbox (Iraq) that the Magpul PRS is only useful as a "tacticool" item.

105696wb2.jpg

9d1b1a1c2aabc4402c1a042b2a65d3f4-gr.jpg

oiakg5.jpg

</div></div>

The last pic would be considered "tacticool" in my opinion, what's the point of the adjustable stock if it's not adjusted? I bought an ar15 and it had a prs stock on it and the mount I used I didn't need to adjust the comb. I have one on my ar-10 and it allowed me to set up the comb and lop to fit me perfect. I will use a prs when I build my lower for the .260 upper I'm having built right now, I love being able to pull the rifle up and have a perfect sight picture.

I like the PRS stock. I have one on my POF .223 and also my GAP 10. I like the adjustability on them.

Here's a link to a thread where I was contemplating the same question: SPR: PRS or A2

I went with the A2 BTW, so far I'm happy with my choice.

I have the PRS on my AR10. In its current optical configuration I do not need to raise the comb and the LOP is fine closed. I could get away with an A2 but I prefer the flat bottom and the squared off profile. This allows me to drive the rifle better.

When I revamped my AR15 I installed a Choate A2 with the "hook" on it. It is ok, but I prefer the feel of the PRS even with the weight penalty. I will eventually put a PRS on the AR15 as well.

Additionally the PRS allows me to set the rifle up for another shooter if I loan the rifle out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a big guy and like the adjustable stock vs the A2. The A2 is too cramped for me prone. They are heavy though.. so I only put on my bigger stationary rifles like my 20" AR10 and 20" AR15. </div></div>

agree. I'd only run the PRS on a 20" or longer build

If the rifle is going to be mainly used for prone use and you're not going to be moving much with it then I'd go PRS. If you're planning on using it for prone and also hauling it around then I'd go with an ACS or UBR, or one of Magpul's newer stocks like the STR.

I love my PRS and wouldnt trade it for anything. I have it with the monopod on my AR target rifle and it helps you get the natural point of aim just right before you fire. Plus the adjustable cheek rest lets me perfect my cheek weld to exactly where I want it. Buy one. You will love it. They are heavy though, so its for more of a target type AR.

I went with the A2 for my SPR just because it's a mk12 mod 1 build. I've debated of the PRS several times but i've always read it's heavy and IMHO it looks kind of bulky. The design seems great though. I guess it's not something i would like to carry around just buy looking at it. Who knows if i tried it, it might be a comfortable fit and would be fine.

I have the PRS on a 20" precision build and have been very pleased with it. It is on the heavy side but that is a non issue for my general application and it balances the rifle quite well. The cheek riser has been great for optic changes and the adjustable LOP is quick to adjust and useful when wearing multiple layers.

Here's my take on the PRS.

I don't own and never will after using one. I prefer to shoot nose to charging handle. This lets me control recoil better with faster follow up shots. Now I'm not sure how some of you shoot but I like having the ability to adjust the LOP on the fly to accommodate the clothing, gear, and position I'm shooting in. I hunt year round with my AR. This took me awhile to understand.

I believe the better stocks are the adjustable kind. However I do have a Vltor A1 on a dissy build that is very comfortable.

I just sold mine. I decided that on my SPR that I prefer a carbine adjustable length stock to that that would get me the perfect check weld while shooting prone.

DernHumpus: orderd my OD PRS yesterday. Should have it for Christmas. Hopefully you'll find a buyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should always try out something as personal as a stock, however, I love my PRS. </div></div>

^^^ Agree with this 100% ^^^

I had a PRS on a rifle I sold. I liked it. I played with the adjustments but for whatever reason it didn't really make it any more or less comfortable or easy to shoot. It may have a great deal of effect for others. Yes it's heavy, but what I noticed is it will make a front heavy rifle more balanced and easier to shoot offhand (and make it even heavier). I'll take a well balanced 16lb rifle anyday over a nose heavy 12lb one.

Installed the stock this morning. Hope to get to the range in a couple days. Immediately noticed an improvement in the ease of acquiring the correct scope “picture” versus the OEM stock. The PRS is about ¼” shorter and that alone is worth the investment. The OEM stock is longer by the thickness of its recoil pad. I elevated the cheek piece by 6 clicks, just under 1/8th inch. Very natural feel overall. I mounted the sling on the left side ahead of the cheek piece elevation knob. Good investment and very pleased so far. Still thinking about the mono-pod too but for now I’ll wait.

Glad to hear you like it! For a precision semi-auto platform, I think it's the best option available and when you add a monopod it just gets better. For a CQB semi-auto, I like the Vltor stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The last pic would be considered "tacticool" in my opinion, what's the point of the adjustable stock if it's not adjusted? </div></div>

Perhaps thats where it fit's him? Or he likes it there.

To the OP, You will love it. I love mine!!

Well, as nearly everyone said, I really enjoy mine, it allows you to really get a good cheek weld, and perfect sight picture. LOP is nice for hunting clothes vs summer range time. It is a bit heavy, but most guns people put them on are heavy anyway.

I have mine on an AR-15 in 25WSSM, and I wouldn't have it any other way the way that rifle is put together.

C_K

I have a PRS on my 6.5 G, and I love it. When I threw my M1A in the Troy MCS, I put a Vltor IMOD stock on it, and I wish I would've put a PRS on it instead, since I use it for long range shooting predominately. I'll pick one up for it eventually, and I will be getting one for my MA-Ten build as well. The PRS is the shit, IMO. YMMV

Had some range time yesterday and I'm going to use a saying I've heard from friends who have had hip, knee or other body part replacement surgery... "I should have done this years ago". And yes, I should have purchased a PRS years ago when I first saw them become available for the AR-10. I'll still consider the mono-pod but so far I can't say I'll be needing it. The fit and feel is excellent. The additional weight of the PRS will not issue. Very pleased.

It depends how you like to shoot. and eye relief with a PRS is kind of a pain depending on the scope.