• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I get this older Cronus?

Sutherlandsd

Bears. Beets. BattleStar Galactica.
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
NE TN
OK scope people here is the deal, I sold a couple of 1911's so have a little surplus to upgrade the glass on one of the rifles and yes this rifle is not for hunting its just a range gun out to 1200+. It currently has a 3-18 older tango6 which honestly is a hell of a little scope I just desire a better reticle since it has just a mildot.

So I found locally this guy with an athlon cronus pre BTR 4.5x29 that I can get for $800, I have had some time behind the BTR and its very nice, never behind the pre btr. So drop the cash on the $800 cronus, buy an ares etr off the exchange for $900ish, buy a tango 6 4-24 that people are basically giving away right now on the exchange and clearancing on many sites, none of the above wait for another fish to swim by.

Help spend my money man!

I would skip all that above. Save some more $$$ and buy better glass and better reticle.
Example Vortex offers decent glass and good reticle in range of $1500.
Thats my opinion I'm sure other people with more experience will give better opinion.

I would get the Cronus. I have one (my Second) and I love it. For the price you can’t beat it, especially at that low price. I had the ETR as well, and while it looked very good, I didn’t care for the floating dot. While many will say choose the Razr over it, I don’t think it is worth twice the cost, not by a long shot, not for me. Is it better in some ways, sure. I think they are close optically, but I like the lighter weight and lower side focus personally. Reticle should play a major role in your decision as well, so make sure you know the reticle you are comparing. I personally really like the Cronus reticle and it is why I got another. It has always received very high reviews, but people were mostly hesitant as a new brand. It has been out a while now, and I think most of those worries have not been realized.

Keep in mind this is not the BTR Cronus its the Generation preceeding it. If it was the BTR it would be a no brainer.

A pre-BTR Cronus is a great buy for $800.

I used the original Cronus for a little while, and now it’s on one of my father’s rifles. I liked it enough to go with the BTR over the Razor Gen2.

Optically is pretty much even with the Razor Gen2. I’ve shot them side to side and prefer the Cronus reticle.

I have a lot of confidence in scopes made by LOW.

Keep in mind this is not the BTR Cronus its the Generation preceeding it. If it was the BTR it would be a no brainer.
Looking at the differences that were made, they were not massive changes. Both of mine are the pre-BTR because I liked the reticle before the change in the BTR. The illumination cap change wasn’t a big deal to me. Other than that, it is basically the same. And that is a great price. I don’t remember right off (May have) seeing any go below $900 here and they are usually $950-1000.

Buy the pre-BTR for $800. It and the SWFA HD 5-20 are the bell of the ball when it comes to glass quality for the money. The SWFA has a little better reputation for reliability, but the Cronus is no slouch in that department and has a better reticle and more magnification. If you don't buy it for $800, let me know...

I was going to tell you that I've got three of the pre-BTR Cronus scopes & a couple of the BTRs, and I prefer the pre-BTR reticle. When I dial back power to 10x-12x for movers, the pre-BTR's slightly heavier + aiming point is a fair bit easier to see than the BTR's thinner +. Two of my pre-BTRs are on 40X 22RF repeaters, and even though I find myself shooting at some pretty small targets during 25-50yd stages, that heavier + has never obscured the target to the point that it's a liability. But now that you've gone ahead and made the deal for the used pre-BTR, guess I don't need to tell you this....lol

I like all of the Cronus scopes on my rifles, quite a bit. Never had an issue with any of the five I own.

You will not be disappointed with the pre BTR Cronus. I have both the pre BTR and the BTR. I like the retical better the the 1st gen. Its on another level cimpared to my Burris and Vortex PST scopes.

Ya... I've already had it out to the range. It was a very good purchase, pretty significant upgrade over my tango6 3-18.