• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes should i go 34mm?

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    have a SN3 on order from the nice folks at USO, its still several months out and im wondering if i should add 34mm tube to the order...

its for my 308, so im wondering if i should have the extra elevation just in case.

am i just being paranoid? seems like all the other 2k+ scopes have 34s and if im already that deep...

enlighten me gentlemen.

Re: should i go 34mm?

Why not 35? it costs less than 34mm. The only reason I would go 34 over 35mm is if I already had a 34mm mount or special rings I wanted to use.

I would go 35mm also. With a 35mm tube you will have 80-90 miniuts of elevation, more than you will ever need.

yes sorry i got the 2 mixed up. i wont even speculate why 34 cost more than 35.

seems like the world of 35mm rings is pretty narrow.

in reality i would be roaming the pastures this side of 1000 yards, shouldnt need more than ~12. mil/~40 moa of adjustment. yes?

Seekins, USO, IOR and TPS all make good rings in 35mm. My first pick would be Seekins!

Millett makes 35mm rings also if you want a lower cost option.

Also, IMHO USO scopes look very anorexic with 30mm tubes.

hah, i know
    people need to stop making things better, always makes the old versions of things seem less cool for some reason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, IMHO USO scopes look very anorexic with 30mm tubes.</div></div>

HEY! Leave my 30mm USO alone. It's not anorexic, it's petite. LOL

LOL!!!
    grin.gif

noticable weight difference between the petite and... plus-size models?
    wink.gif

If you want a bad ass solid 3 ring mount, check out Near Mfg. but its only currently available in 34mm as far as I know. Most likely I will never use a different setup for a precision rifle. Its called the Alpha Mount and runs around $350, so its not as affordable as a standard ring setup but its true and well worth the price. That mount on a Surgeon action...talk about rifle and scope being one solid hunk of metal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">noticable weight difference between the petite and... plus-size models?
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

I couldn't answer this question for you. Maybe someone that's moved up? I wouldn't think there would be much of difference in weight though. Few ounces maybe?

correct $2,000.00+ USD

the day i find 2000 yards to shoot... ill have enough saved for a rifle that can reach that far (later than sooner)

Availability of 35 mm rings is bad. I know there are companies that make them, but they are rarely in stock AND in the correct height. I think 34mm is more the standard and the best choice.

I use a 30mm SN3 on my 7wsm for shooting well past 1000yds. I thought I might need some extra elevation so I used a 30moa Badger base. Now I have 24+ mils of elevation from my 100yd zero. That is WAY more than most anyone will ever need.

CM

You can find IOR and USO rings with ease, Seekins rings are my first choice in any size, and Glen said he was going to do a run of 35mm rings real soon.

If elevation is your ONLY concern, 30mm will be just fine. I am in no danger of running out of elevation with my 30mm tube (even without a canted base).

They do look better though!

The lack availability of cheap rings should not be an issue either. Do you really want to carress your new baby in cheap rings? You should want to put it in good rings and the quality rings come in bigger sizes.

Scope tube diameter is one of the last thing I would select and I would select it based on application. For a rifle needing to conserve weight you probably do not want a 34 or 35mm tube, but if your are setting up a heavy (or mid-heavy) barrel rifle for precision work at distance you are already focused on higher magnification and a bit more weight should not be a problem. I have a 35mm tube USO SN-3 (3.2-17x)on my heavy barrel 308 and it is wonderful! I am using 35mm Badger Ord. rings on a Badger 20MOA slope base.

But lets say you are making up a lightweight tackdriver and are using a heavily fluted 20" barrel from a good manufaturer on a short action receiver with a Manners light or McMillan Edge stock, if you stick with a 3-10 or 4-14 Leupold VX3 (or Zeiss Conquest) with a 1" tube and lightweight mounts you can have an accurate rifle and keep it under 10 pounds. My 308 above is 12.5 pounds with the USO scope and fluted Kreiger barrel, like I said, I love it but which one would you choose to carry on a long hike?

Now if you have to have all the features of a good tactical scope then you will have to get a bigger, heavier scope with a 30mm or bigger tube. It is your choice, just make it based on YOUR actual needs.

24" M24 contour 308 in an A5... nothing light about it.

i bit the 34mm bullet.

just diddnt want to leave anything to regret OR have any excuses to buy another scope anytime soon.
    grin.gif

true, it is 6% of the scopes cost, but im gonna be happy as a clam when it shows up and never look back.

thanks for the input guys, very much. dont know where i wouldve turned for this kind of advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillHPBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope tube diameter is one of the last thing I would select and I would select it based on application. For a rifle needing to conserve weight you probably do not want a 34 or 35mm tube, but if your are setting up a heavy (or mid-heavy) barrel rifle for precision work at distance you are already focused on higher magnification and a bit more weight should not be a problem. I have a 35mm tube USO SN-3 (3.2-17x)on my heavy barrel 308 and it is wonderful! I am using 35mm Badger Ord. rings on a Badger 20MOA slope base.

But lets say you are making up a lightweight tackdriver and are using a heavily fluted 20" barrel from a good manufaturer on a short action receiver with a Manners light or McMillan Edge stock, if you stick with a 3-10 or 4-14 Leupold VX3 (or Zeiss Conquest) with a 1" tube and lightweight mounts you can have an accurate rifle and keep it under 10 pounds. My 308 above is 12.5 pounds with the USO scope and fluted Kreiger barrel, like I said, I love it but which one would you choose to carry on a long hike?

Now if you have to have all the features of a good tactical scope then you will have to get a bigger, heavier scope with a 30mm or bigger tube. It is your choice, just make it based on YOUR actual needs. </div></div>

Badger makes 35mm rings???

USMCj,

They used to, but not any more. I have a set of Seekins 35mm rings on my Surgeon and I'm very happy with the setup.

YMMV & IMHO