• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I have got the brake ?

Anointed1

It's the pills I swear
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2021
    Pacific Northwest
    Sure hope you guys got the patience for some questions...the more I read and I've read a lot the more I realize there's so much to know it's daunting to say the least. I'm doing my best to search first for my answers but some stuff I can't quite find. This one is about the brake I ordered with the MPA PMR Pro rifle for PRS type events. I guess I should say this everytime so there's an understanding of my background and knowledge...I dont have any...literally....never shot a rifle with a scope and only shot a rifle maybe 3 or 4 times in my life.

So after a bunch of reading I came away with the understanding that recoil mattered in a few ways...basically less is better. With that in mind and after reading about what a brake does as far as mitigating recoil...and then realizing MPA offered a brake that could be installed as part of the build...I ordered the gun with one.

Fast forward now and one of the threads I was reading in was the "range etiquette" one in the bear pit. I all of a sudden realized that brakes on a rifle change how the sound is heard...in other words a lot louder to people close by the shooter. Then I thought crap...maybe those are frowned upon at PRS type events...so now I'm asking before my order from MPA is built...should I have ordered it with the brake or maybe not ?

Reactions: Boomslang57
    Yes nearly everyone in prs is running a crazy loud break. Buy good ear pro and put Advil’s in your pack. It’s unfortunate we all can’t be running with a can, life would be so nice. Best thing about 22prs is you can pretty much get by with no ear pro.

Reactions: Patriots1884
    Guns are loud. If your range neighbor is offended, they can leave. That being said, I shoot suppressed 99% of the time just playing at the range. PRS matches and practice are shot with the brake.

Long strings with suppressors are more problematic than with a break. Them gun mufflers get hot fast, and wash out your image.

Brakes are ubiquitous because they work. Too damn loud but they cut recoil by 35-40% thereby making spotting impacts possible

Ahh ok...I'm safe then as far as how I ordered the gun with a brake on it...I realized I forgot to say what the caliber is and came back to add that part in...there was already 5 or 6 answers....you guys are quick lol...it's a 6mm creedmoor.

Long strings with suppressors are more problematic than with a break. Them gun mufflers get hot fast, and wash out your image.
    Yeah it took me awhile to figure out why the end of some rifles had a wrap of material on them...like I said...I'm about as noob as you can get lol /shrug

I’m an asshole!
    Love my brakes!
    When my 338 goes off with almost 100 grains of N570 the sensitive types scatter.
    Wow... thats alot of powder! Im running 91 grains of 7977... what you getting about 75 rds per pound?

A brake will reduce recoil and increase noise. I hate them. I also hate straight pipes and loud cars, but if I had a top fuel dragster, it wouldn't have mufflers on it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
    You may or may not like my bike then...it's a little loud 😜 20180419_151353.jpg

Wear double ear pro.
    Yeah I bought a couple pair of Walkers Razor ear muffs...of course I haven't been able to use them yet so no clue if they were worth the money. These are noise canceling if I remember right where supposedly I can hear normal conversation but when a gun goes off it reacts and blocks that noise...hopefully I'll find out soon if they actually work. With ear plugs in and muffs on I wont be able to hear squat if they don't.../shrug

Well that's just ridiculous lol...never even "heard" of them...pun intended lol.

Yeah my bike's not really that loud...just loud enough to help keep me safe while riding in traffic...I can't tell you how many close calls I've had =/

Yeah I bought a couple pair of Walkers Razor ear muffs...of course I haven't been able to use them yet so no clue if they were worth the money. These are noise canceling if I remember right where supposedly I can hear normal conversation but when a gun goes off it reacts and blocks that noise...hopefully I'll find out soon if they actually work. With ear plugs in and muffs on I wont be able to hear squat if they don't.../shrug
    Thats how I roll foamies or custom plugs and walkers. You can turn the electronics up to hear conversation / commands.

Quiet helps you concentrate.

Reactions: Anointed1
    So I'm kind of a noob as well so I'll chime in on the OP's thread - I'm running a brake and love it. Loud it is but the recoil reduction lets me spot stuff I'd never see un braked. I'd *love* to run suppressed but it's not legal in Illinois. My question: Do cans/suppressors have any effect on recoil? Is there any braking effect to a can or is it simply suppression?

Thanks in Advance and apologies to the OP.

VooDoo

So I'm kind of a noob as well so I'll chime in on the OP's thread - I'm running a brake and love it. Loud it is but the recoil reduction lets me spot stuff I'd never see un braked. I'd *love* to run suppressed but it's not legal in Illinois. My question: Do cans/suppressors have any effect on recoil? Is there any braking effect to a can or is it simply suppression?

Thanks in Advance and apologies to the OP.

VooDoo

A can does have an effect. Just not as much as a brake. Can also change the characteristics from a quick punch in the shoulder to a hard shove.

A can also eliminates concussion and some muzzle flip.
    Great on intermediate calibers.

The recoil seems not as sharp as w/o.