• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I rebore a barrel or scrap it?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Setting my TRG22 up with the KRG nut system and replacing the existing aftermarket 6.5CM barrel with a sotic 6.5CM. I think my current barrel is close to a heavy palma contour.

By switching to the KRG barrel, I will still have the existing shouldered 6.5CM barrel and I started thinking... how much would I be into this if I had the existing barrel shank turned down and cut for KRG barrel nut threads, shortened the barrel to 20" and had it rebored/chambered in 338 federal?

Why? Because why not.. that's why. Also the KRG barrel options are limited and it would be neat to have a larger caliber barrel for elk if I ever got the change to go out west. But the real question is would it be cheaper to obtain a new blank and have the work performed on that, or would I save a little money by have the existing barrel worked on?

Typically, it's way more expensive to rebore a barrel, than it is to just buy another better aftermarket blank, especially a pre-fit that uses a nut where you can headspace it yourself with a set of Go/NoGo gauges at home.

Rechambering by running a reamer for a larger cartridge of the same calibre can be done, EG .222rem to 22-250.

Opening up the bore itself to a larger diameter is not not really feasable.

You would pay a retarded amount of money for that and if you actually called a barrel maker and asked them to do that they would probably ask why the fuck you would want to. I’m sure they would happily take your money though if you really wanted to waste your money on such a dumb thing.

No, these days it’s usually way cheaper to rebore a barrel, but getting the accuracy from it that you probably want from such a rifle probably isn’t going to happen. If you’re willing to gamble a couple hundred bucks on a rifle that will be good enough to hunt with at reasonable ranges,(338 Fed isnt going to be real long range anyway), but probably never be impressive match quality, give it a shot. However…. After having all that other work done to the barrel, plus reboring, It may be a wash price wise.

To me, rifles like this, like multi caliber handguns, are a waste of a perfectly good excuse for buying another rifle/pistol. :D

Thier website says $250 for a 3 groove rebore. I don't know if a 338 federal would clean up a 6.5 chamber. In the long run a new pipe might still be a better option. Reboring in my mind is a better option for old rifles you want to keep looking original...... I have a 50caliber muzzleloader barrel rebored to 58 caliber that has been a great shooter.

I also have a 16" 338 federal ar10 and it is an awesome little combo. I'd recommend the cartridge. 16" is a bit short 20" would probably be about perfect.

Reactions: rangerlong
Reboring is a waste of money. You can set back the barrel you have now and get more life out of it. Basicaly they cut off the first 1-1.5" of threads/chamber and then just rethread and chamber the barrel you have. It usually cuts out a lot of the firecracked area in the first part of the barrel in front of the chamber where it degrades accuracy. If you didn't want to just toss the barrel on there now then that's an option. How many rounds down the barrel that's on there now?

Reboring is a waste of money. You can set back the barrel you have now and get more life out of it. Basicaly they cut off the first 1-1.5" of threads/chamber and then just rethread and chamber the barrel you have. It usually cuts out a lot of the firecracked area in the first part of the barrel in front of the chamber where it degrades accuracy. If you didn't want to just toss the barrel on there now then that's an option. How many rounds down the barrel that's on there now?
If you're reboring the barrel to a larger diameter bore for a longer cartridge, it will clean up and remove the old throat... So you wouldn't need to set-back the chamber, unless the new cartridges neck and/or length dimensions are shorter than the previous chambering. Going form a 6.5CM to a .308 Win would require no set-back, as the .308 Win case is longer, the neck is farther forward, and the bore diameter is larger, removing all the old material from the old throat.

The .338 Federal is essentially the exact same dimensions as a .308 Winchester, just opened the neck up for .338 diameter bullets. Even the case length, shoulder angle, and case wall taper look identical to each other. This means that going from a 6.5CM to a .338 Federal rebore, should only requite maybe a rebore & rechamber job. They wouldn't even have to reset the headspace on the barrel... They could do it with the reamer, and then final verify during assembly with Go/NoGo gauges, and make small adjustments to dial it in perfectly.

If you're reboring the barrel to a larger diameter bore for a longer cartridge, it will clean up and remove the old throat... So you wouldn't need to set-back the chamber, unless the new cartridges neck and/or length dimensions are shorter than the previous chambering. Going form a 6.5CM to a .308 Win would require no set-back, as the .308 Win case is longer, the neck is farther forward, and the bore diameter is larger, removing all the old material from the old throat.

The .338 Federal is essentially the exact same dimensions as a .308 Winchester, just opened the neck up for .338 diameter bullets. Even the case length, shoulder angle, and case wall taper look identical to each other. This means that going from a 6.5CM to a .338 Federal rebore, should only requite maybe a rebore & rechamber job. They wouldn't even have to reset the headspace on the barrel... They could do it with the reamer, and then final verify during assembly with Go/NoGo gauges, and make small adjustments to dial it in perfectly.
No shit!?!? LOL Of course it would as you are removing all the bore. LOL But reboring is a waste of time and money IMHO. I was telling him about setting back his barrel to still use it in his caliber and then have two barrels.

Why would re-boring be a waste? $400 barrel+ $200-$300 for chambering and machine work.

A re-bore is cheaper. $250 for 3 groove, and JES does a good job.

Why would re-boring be a waste? $400 barrel+ $200-$300 for chambering and machine work.

A re-bore is cheaper. $250 for 3 groove, and JES does a good job.

Set back a barrel is the same price and you know how the barrel shoots already. Barrel maker made the barrel in that caliber. You can spend your money having someone rebore a barrel and end up not knowing about stress relief or anything else that might happen but not wasting mine. If he just wanted a blaster then rock on and spend his money. Again my opinion on the process. Plenty of ways for people to spend their money in this sport.

No shit!?!? LOL Of course it would as you are removing all the bore. LOL But reboring is a waste of time and money IMHO. I was telling him about setting back his barrel to still use it in his caliber and then have two barrels.
I've done it, but you don't get quite 2 barrels out of it, you just prolong the inevitable for about another half-life, because all those shots the first go-round still creates a massive amount of wear on the rifling itself throughout the entire bore. You get about 1.5x accurate barrel life from my experiences. But you're right, it's still WAY cheaper than buying a whole new tube, and does help you prolong some life out of a good barrel.

I've done it, but you don't get quite 2 barrels out of it, you just prolong the inevitable for about another half-life, because all those shots the first go-round still creates a massive amount of wear on the rifling itself throughout the entire bore. You get about 1.5x accurate barrel life from my experiences. But you're right, it's still WAY cheaper than buying a whole new tube, and does help you prolong some life out of a good barrel.
Yeah my experience too but he didn’t say what his barrel count was either and why I asked. He might just think he is near end but might not be. I had a 6.5 set back in my original 6.5 back around 2010 when it was burnt out and I got about 1200 rounds out of the set back and the first went 2300. Just an option if he likes the caliber and wants to use up his barrel now before swapping to the new one.

Reactions: FuhQ
The barrel came with an estimated 2000 rounds on it, I'm shooting it in PRS this year and planned on another 500+ on the same barrel. Its not shooting bad, but I know the end is coming. I have done the rebarrel route years ago, and I hate shipping the rifle, dealing with the down time etc, so I am converting the rifle over to a KRG barrel nut and setting it up as a switch barrel so I can change the barrels myself.

KRG offers a 24" 6.5CM that I have ordered already, and I am going to order their 16" 308 barrel this fall.

Once I pull this used barrel off of the rifle, I will have a beat up shouldered barrel just collecting dust in the corner, and I was trying to think of a way to set it up to use the barrel nut so I would have a third caliber option. It was my thinking that if a new KRG barrel costs me $750, but reboring and converting my current barrel came in less than that, then its a win. It doesn't have to be a match winner, its just gotta be a fun side project that keeps me entertained when the snow is up to my ass and the loads for the 6.5 and 308 barrels are dialed in.

If you set it back and get it set like the KRG you will have the barrel doing something and not have to get set up in some other caliber. All it is is cutting off the threads and rethreading and chambering the barrel that’s on there now.

Also sending it off is not always needed. If you use a smith that keeps records then you only have to send it once and you can order shouldered prefit barrels without sending it back.

The barrel came with an estimated 2000 rounds on it, I'm shooting it in PRS this year and planned on another 500+ on the same barrel. Its not shooting bad, but I know the end is coming. I have done the rebarrel route years ago, and I hate shipping the rifle, dealing with the down time etc, so I am converting the rifle over to a KRG barrel nut and setting it up as a switch barrel so I can change the barrels myself.

KRG offers a 24" 6.5CM that I have ordered already, and I am going to order their 16" 308 barrel this fall.

Once I pull this used barrel off of the rifle, I will have a beat up shouldered barrel just collecting dust in the corner, and I was trying to think of a way to set it up to use the barrel nut so I would have a third caliber option. It was my thinking that if a new KRG barrel costs me $750, but reboring and converting my current barrel came in less than that, then its a win. It doesn't have to be a match winner, its just gotta be a fun side project that keeps me entertained when the snow is up to my ass and the loads for the 6.5 and 308 barrels are dialed in.
If they can do a 1:8 twist 7mm barrel, then a 7mm-08 AI 40º would be an awesome option...

I actually considered a 7mm-08. Or even a 7BR for something odd ball to play with.

I actually considered a 7mm-08. Or even a 7BR for something odd ball to play with.
A 1:8 twist 7mm-08 AI 40º pushing Berger 195's is very fun. I have a Berger 210/215 load for my .308 Win, and it's a 1,000-1,200 yard monster. The 7mm 195's have even better BC, and with a proper 1:8 twist would be insane for 1,500 yards and in target shooting.

Select a good bullet and the 6.5 will dump elk. I've seen plenty lost to a 300win mag, and plenty dead from a 6.5. Just don't use a light weight target bullet.

Buy a new blank and start over.

After you re-bore you have to re-chamber. So you're saving $100? Easily worth the piece of mind to start with a fresh blank and go from there.