• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should i retire??

1moaoff

Safe space provider? Nope!!!
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2008
    cincinnati, ohio
    Literally just hopped on flight #2 to get from CA to OH. Customers are pushing me off and I have lost the desire most days to continue.

My goal was to retire at 40. I couldn't bring myself to do it because I get bored easily. Now im 45 and my patience is gone. I can afford to so its not money. I used to love my job... now I hate customers..

When I get home may have to have the talk with her.

What did you guys that retired early do to transition into it?

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Hi,

LOLOLOL started 3 other companies and currently working on either another or making it a division of one of the other companies.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Thats my worry... I can't sit still... I have investment properties etc I qould mess with but I think I'll end up right back where I am...

Reactions: nesikabay
    If you have to ask the question you might not be ready to retire. Regardless of that my answer is yes, retire as soon as you can and do something else. Retirement is often spent worrying about health instead of enjoyed. Retire when healthy enough to enjoy it, if finances allow.

I retired at 55. This allowed me to partake in a really nice retire plan. With 55 being the earliest I could retire, I would have gone earlier but I couldn't pass up on the money.

Reactions: Familydude
    Lots of good advice on this on the Mr. Money Mustache site.... as others have pointed out you should have a set of things you want to do after you stop a traditional job. I have started making a list... like learning to weld/taking a welding class.

I also have made detailed spreadsheets of what my expenses have been over several years so I have a really good idea how much I need and where I would be able to trim once retired, as well as where I would be adding expenses.

Lastly, think about staying with the same company, but changing the things you don't like about your job... travel, etc... and see if you can bank some extra money... in my case if I left I could always go back somewhere, but probably not at the same rate... and with the same benefits that generally get better the longer you are with a company.

lastly plan for inflation... you may have enough today but most people today are living much longer, so think about making it to 80+... 35 years from now

Reactions: rhsc
    I'm in the same boat . Late 50s . One 401K was going to be cut by 50% if I didn't retire quickly because some accountant screwed up . The other pension was taking $100.00 a month for every year past 30 . Now during this Covid BS and in the middle of winter , I'm bouncing off the walls with cabin fever ! Donated time at a local food cupboard , but that's once a week . Yahhhhh ! ! !

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I had no problem with early retirement.
    1613843949676.png

Yes.

My Dad retired at 56. He bought a fishing boat that he could handle by himself. Already had a stock pile of guns and reloading supplies.

His days consisted of shooting, hunting, fishing, and reloading.

He got bored, so he started working part-time at a gun store. Now he's got something to do on a schedule, and his paycheck just goes back for gun stuff at cost.

Do something to keep busy, hobbies or whatever. On the other hand, make sure you can cut away and go on a month vacation when the desire arises.

Life is too short to be unhappy. Retire and spend time doing something you enjoy.

For me that would be either spending time outdoors or inside tinkering and making things.

If I went back to work it would be something outside like a park ranger or something to do with a hobby.

If you can turn a hobby or something you enjoy into a passive income, even better.

I'm 48 and just left my career of 20+ years. I'll be spending the first couple of months helping family then I plan to try and find a part time gig at one of the many gun shops in my area.

Find something you love. I mentally retired long ago when I made my first fuck you money. However, I stayed working for my current employer because I genuinely like what I do.

If I didn't like what I do then I'd leave and find something else to do. If you have financial independence then the world is your oyster!!

I really used to love what I do but over the years it just seemed to get to be more of a chore every day to get up and go to work, got to where I hated it. I did not retire early but when covid started I said screw it I'm done and I love it, do what I want to do and not have to listen to a bunch of whiney scumbags all day long. Damm if you can retire at 45 I say go for it, more range time, time for you and the family, do what's good for you.

I retired 1.5 years earlier than I wanted (medical), and I felt guilty about it (plan was 60). Now, not so much. I try to stay somewhat active, but, if I don't, I don't give a poop.
    Biggest issue, was to have all our finances squared away. We made sure the vehicles were paid off, c.c.'s paid off, anything that we had outstanding, we paid it off. Mortgage(we could pay that off, if we wanted) and everyday expenses, are all we have, just like others. We minimized our lifestyle and stuck to the basics. I live a pretty simple/boring life, but, we do like to travel, but, this lock-down has taken the wind out of my sails for that.
    I use to miss working with people(volunteer, give a helping hand stuff), now, I'm good.
    Don't miss the bitch'n and complain'n or telling others what and how to do.
    Just make sure you have things to do that you enjoy, the rest will fall into place.
    I thought I would be bored, and I wasn't, then this Covid crap hit and my Country shut-down.
    It's getting long in the tooth now, but, I still have hope. I might have to pull a 5 gal. bucket out of the shed and plant my ass over a hole in the ice, even if it's 10 deg. below, Naw..F that! Good luck with your choice, I totally get it. Mac

I‘m also close to retirement and there are days I don’t have the energy to face the onslaught of it all. People, problem solving, personnel issues out the nose, policy decisions, life-altering responsibilities etc. I do it because it matters. My legacy and my family name matter as well so, off to work.

Sometimes a few days away can be refreshing, albeit there are still the texts, emails and occasional phone calls. The break however, can recharge the batteries.

All that said, I’m looking forward to retirement. I’ll find something I enjoy that still challenges me mentally and physically (enough), but certainly not to the same level I am currently.

Take a vacation, go back and see how you feel, then decide.

Life is too short to be unhappy. Retire and spend time doing something you enjoy.

For me that would be either spending time outdoors or inside tinkering and making things.

If I went back to work it would be something outside like a park ranger or something to do with a hobby.

If you can turn a hobby or something you enjoy into a passive income, even better.
    This. Exactly.

I’m only 38 just got my 20year service plaque that they think I’m gonna proudly hang on the wall(garbage can)... I think about retiring every morning when I get up at 5am🤣... so my young inexperienced advice would be retire and do whatever u want every day!

Reactions: demolitionman
    Ranching will keep you busy. Buy a small ranch.
    You’ll never lack for something to tinker with or fix. If you have enough room you can even set up a shooting range and hunt. That’s what does it for me.

Attachments

• 041A6CF6-3316-409A-876B-63D112D3F0EF.jpeg
      041A6CF6-3316-409A-876B-63D112D3F0EF.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 62
    Damn if I could retire early (can’t because I’m all back and no brains) it would be easy. I’d mountain bike on Monday. Road bike on Tuesday. Bass fish on Wednesday. Go to the range Thursday. Do chores on Friday and then ride dirtbikes all weekend. Repeat until injury or death.

I retired at 50. My wife stills works, even though she no longer needs to, but she loves her job. I haven’t looked back since retiring. I have several hobbies/interest with shooting being one of those, that are easier to do when facilities are less crowded during the week. I also travel with my wife on some of her business trips as my schedule is open since retiring. I was in the same situation as you and no longer enjoying my profession. I would say go for it!

Reactions: ClintQuint
    Those of you who retired early (before being able to draw from a retirement account), what financial state were you in, generally, before deciding it was time? I.e., kids grown/gone, house paid off, pension/retirement check coming from previous career, etc...?

I retire in 693 days. I'll be 51. Don't know what I'm doing yet, I don't care. I'll work at Home Depot or Costco or the local Quick Lube till I figure it out.

24 years of wearing a uniform. The day I become eligble, I take a 40% pay cut if I stay. Because I'm no longer working for the amount that is now guaranteed.

The rest of my life belongs to me.

I joined the military the same way women become strippers. "Well, fuck it. This is an easy paycheck...." and now, going through the process of getting medically retired....My second career will be for me and for what I want to do. After my second career, with hopefully 2 pensions and rabidly following Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace" outlines for many years, my bank account will be super fat and the only thing I plan on doing is surfing my ass off while enjoying lots of reefer and going on epic climbing expeditions with my son. El Capitan and Denali are both on our to-do lists.

Thats my worry... I can't sit still... I have investment properties etc I qould mess with but I think I'll end up right back where I am...
    Im in the same boat. But for other reasons. With oil going up it pays to much to retire. I want to but then what would i do. I LIKE PLAYING THE GAME

At this point in life . I work to have some thing to do. But i only work 25 to 30 hours a week. And set my own hours.

This is really and easy proposition - let your career kill you or let the things you enjoy do it instead. As Americans most of us have been engrained to work BUT that does not mean until the day we die. We old Gen Xers is the first generation where many of us can retire early. While some might enjoy their jobs there is much more to living a good life than working.

My job has no stress. I have no kids that care take it over. Maybe its just when i stop i dies with me. Me and the wife take a week vacation every month.

I retired at 55, the transition for me was easy, I was gut full too. Shoot, help people, shoot more, help kids, take in games. 62 now, the last 3 winters here have highlighted how little I have to do. With pets, tough to rent in the south to find a suitable location to buy a winter home. Not shooting in 35 deg weather.
    Volunteering is always an option, but I didn't retire to have someone tell me when I was needed, newsflash, no schedule here.

1moa, if you dislike people at your age, just fucking wait, retire and you will have way more free time to notice shit. Watching people can be a pastime, sometimes you feel like you'd like to be introduced to the parents to see just where the disconnect occurred.
    Also, am I alone in thinking we tend to get more political as we hit retirement age?

If you can and want to by all means no one ever said work till you drop enjoy life shoot more take the wife out and go on shooting vacation , travel or stay at work for ever know at least 9 guys that made the choice to work till they dropped dead an most of them have on the job . The one guy was such a tight ass he hid his money on his property did that for 50 years now the family has did it all up and they have no clue where to start looking its sort of funny but mostly sad . Good luck to you which ever decision you choose to make not sure if there is a wrong answer to your question but it's all up to you and what you want .

Those of you retiring in your 50's or earlier, what are you doing for health insurance?

That is the one thing I can't seem to get figured out for a reasonable cost

I can't stand the woke work force of today, I could continue to deal with 'the job' its the fucking people I am done with.

Reactions: Snipe260 and Skunk
    Damn it. Didn't want to get drawn into this one, but gonna anyhoo.

For me, I need some definitions in this thread. "Retired" - what does that mean zactly?!

I joined the Army at 17 and "retired" at 37 due to injuries that prevented me from playing shoot 'em up again. According to Uncle Sugar.

I was hardly "retired." Uncle Sugar threw a few bucks for booze and golf my way monthly, but there was no way in Hell I "retire" on what they were paying. A wife. 3 young kids - nope. I took it as a chance to be the Dad, I couldn't before and started a new career. So, to me, working again. Jack and shit in the bank on that pay. Just sayin'.

Next career, my wife needs an advanced degree to succeed. So I start paying on that and establishing myself as a stinkin' civilian. Then the divorce. Wiped me the fuck out. Put me in the hole in fact. She rides a broom and is evil. Lesson learned.

Get my advanced degree, hustle and start making real money. Pay off the disastrous divorce. Start saving for real. Kids through college, etc.

I'm now mid-50s (ish). Got some cash on the side (investments and otherwise) besides the 401k and IRA rollover stuff.

Reckon, the soonest I retire (as in, no more "work" required to support me till I croak) is 62. That is my plan. I want a certain payout every month without draining something else to hold me in case my dumb ass lives into my 90s. But, I also do not want "work" when retired. I want to wander around the woods, hunt and travel to keep the new woman settled. I give two shits about seeing the world-already have for the most part. They can have it.

Is "retired" in this thread, what I think it means, or is it, "I want to not work for the man and do what I want?!"

If'n you have the money to cover the difference-"retire" do what floats your boat. If you have a passion, it isn't work. It is what you are. If'n you need the security of money coming in - keep working for "someone" that is taking the risk and paying you for profits.

Doing your thing should ALWAYS be the goal. No matter what.

Apologies for the novella here boys - it seems we are not saying the same shit with our words.

And for those asking about health insurance-all you have to do is let assholes shoot at you for a couple decades. Uncle Sugar will cover you till you are a Medicaid baby and expendable. Lucky us. :D

Literally just hopped on flight #2 to get from CA to OH. Customers are pushing me off and I have lost the desire most days to continue.

My goal was to retire at 40. I couldn't bring myself to do it because I get bored easily. Now im 45 and my patience is gone. I can afford to so its not money. I used to love my job... now I hate customers..

When I get home may have to have the talk with her.

What did you guys that retired early do to transition into it?
    Definitely retire, but have a plan to do something afterwards.

I retired at 58, because the company that I worked for started to suck really bad after being there 30 years. I still liked the people I worked with and loved dealing with customers but the company had a change of leadership and sucks ass bad now. I was only retired 11 days. I drove back up to Montana and was fishing the Flathead River with my father when the calls from other companies started coming in, one of them made me an offer I couldn't turn down. I am going to retire permanently June 2022.

For you folks who plan on working a part time job after you retire, what's the sense in retiring? I retired and the last thing I ever want to do is to work for anyone again. Retirement isn't about working a part time job.
    I'm doing it because my soon to be ending career has turned into something I don't recognize anymore.

I fucking hate it... I don't talk about it away from work, and within 6 months after I've left, I guarantee I will have done such an efficient data purge that I probably won't even be able to tell you names of coworkers.

That being said, I like structure and I like having someplace to go to everyday. I want to be useful. 20 years ago I drove a local garbage truck. I got a very simple sense of self satisfaction in knowing that I provided a needed service and that once my route was done for the day, it was done and over. It just didn't pay much.

I don't fish, I don't hunt anymore. I shoot of course, but I'm old, fat and broken...not going to set the PRS world on fire debuting at 51 years old. It would take me about 3 months to get all the shit done around the house that needs doing...then what?