• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Should I shoot a 6mm

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
I have an AIAT set up for 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. There is a want for me to own a 6mm Creedmoor, but by the time I purchase the barrel, reloading accessories, and all that jazz I'll have well over 1200 into a new cartridge. Is the "want" enough to justify running 3 cartridges or should I stick with the 6.5 and sh shoot that up, then decide at that point?

I would wait and decide unless you have a need for a 6mm.

Well it sort of depends on what you want and how valuable what you have to give up for it is to your personal situation? Some people make that in a month, some in a day.

So many of us out here started our CF rifle shooting careers with 243s, that it's hard to think of life without a 6mm rifle of some sort. I bought a new M70 sporter in 243 in 1968 for $123, put a used Weaver K4 on it, adjusted the trigger down to 2lbs, and thought I had the world by the tail on a downhill pull. Used it for prairie dogs, coyotes, and on paper. However, through over 30yrs of competitive shooting, I didn't get another 6mm until I had a 6 Dasher bbl done for my Nesika K Palma rifle in 2004. That kinda opened the floodgates though, as I've built myself numerous Dashers, 6x47L, 6XC, & 6RATs, since then, and will be building another Dasher on a Bighorn TL3-SA & 6XC on a trued M700 this spring.

Bbl life may not be as good with the 6x47L/6XC/6CM as it would with a 6.5 case of the same capacity, but the bullet selection is excellent & getting better, plus they're less expensive than 6.5mm bullets. Try a 6mm - you'll like it.

I will say when I first started shooting it was all about the 6.5mm... Never thought about the 6mm. We have been shooting longer and longer and have had a great time doing it. My father bought a 6mm Dasher Norma. EVERYTHING CHANGED. It is so sweet to shoot. NO RECOIL! Even at 100 yards you get to watch the bullet pass through the paper. at 300 its easy to follow the shot into your target! I find it tougher to do the same with the 6.5s because of being pushed off target at first. But there so no fatigue shooting that 6mm! its a dream! Like I said I have never given 6mm a thought until now. Chad talked me into the 6mm Comp Match and I am having a barrel spun for my TL3 build so 6mm here I come! Also it seems that a lot of the technology is gearing for the 6mm because its so sweet to shoot for PRS. Even if you don't care to compete there is a reason people gravitate toward it. Easy to watch your misses to correct. Any decision is a good one. Pick your path and enjoy. I owned a lot of 6.5 stuff. Got some/most of my money back on it... Worth it to me.

Comes down to wants and need. If you want it and can afford it then get it. Don't not feed the family for it but if you can swing it and it's really eating at you then get it. If not then just wait. I have a .243 as well as my Creedmoors and .308s but don't shoot it as much as the Creedmoors. I have toyed with a 6 Creed and might when the .243 goes but I stand with my post above.

Unless you already have a small firing pin you'll most likely have to add another $250ish on top of your total investment. My AIAT had a large firing pin and would constantly crater the primer or sporadically pierce them. I had it bushed down by Stuteville Precision and the primer problems went away. For me the 6mm Creedmoor barrel life was too short, so I switched to 6.5x47L with the 130gr Berger and couldn't be happier.

I have an addiction to new calibers and 6CM has been my favorite for comp use. If you want one and the money isn't a huge problem snag one up.

6mm is a good bullet diameter to work with. A lot of good high BC choices. In midsize cases though, it's a barrel burner when loaded to it's maximum performance. It does quite well in the smaller cases based off the BR case. That said, unless you have the money to just go get it, I'd use up the 6.5Creed you have and then take a stab at 6mm. Or, you could go with 6.5 again, and find a little more velocity in the .260/.260 imp. (30 deg.~I don't like the 40 deg shoulder). It's always a tradeoff when finding more velocity, with a higher BC bullet, from a minimal case...etc.

Unless you already have a small firing pin you'll most likely have to add another $250ish on top of your total investment. My AIAT had a large firing pin and would constantly crater the primer or sporadically pierce them. I had it bushed down by Stuteville Precision and the primer problems went away. For me the 6mm Creedmoor barrel life was too short, so I switched to 6.5x47L with the 130gr Berger and couldn't be happier.

I've been running a 6xc on my AIAW with a large firing pin. I have had zero issues with it running 115 grain DTACs at 2940. Super easy to load for, and alot of fun to shoot.

That said, I think you would be just fine to stick with the 6.5. I shoot 142 smk in mine and I think it is probably a bit better in the wind. Unless you are having problems handling the 6.5 recoil I don't see an advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennturk
Instead of the 6mm CM.......why not consider a 6mm Dasher? This round will compete with any 6mm round and use less powder. I was doubtful until I built my first 6mm Dasher. We are pushing Berger 105gr. VLD's at nearly 3100 fps through a Krieger 1:8" twist 28" barrel. It has been a laser beam.....that you can watch the bullet strike through the scope.

Give it a shot and see if you like it. I run a 6XC and a 6.5 Creed on my AT. The XC is a blast to shoot and a laser, but I really prefer the consistency of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I developed one load for the 6.5 and ran it for 2500 rounds with very little velocity change. It seems like I'm adjusting loads every few hundred rounds with the 6mm.

I also have a AI AT, 308, 243, 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Since I am a big fan of the 6.5 I mainly shoot the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, but every once and awhile I will go to the 243 because 6mm are just plain fun to shoot. Ray

I have been running my .243Win now for several years. I went that route vs. my tried and true .308Win after my shoulder tear. I keep trying to talk myself out of the little 6mm, but every time I take it out, it still continues to impress me over and over again. I just sold my 6.5Creedmoor barrel and brass and projectiles, and immediately went and got more of the 6mm pills. It is my drug of choice!!

DK

Anyone running the 6SLR? Sounds like it has the benefits of the Dasher without the fire forming brass issue. I believe you just run a .243 case through the SLR FL die and you're good to go. All that material at the neck/shoulder junction on the .243 goes to lengthening neck, which would allow for greater protection of the throat of your chamber. This should aid in obtaining greater barrel life, would it not?

I am a 6.5 lover, mainly because of barrel life...That being said, I am contemplating a new rifle build and have a friend who is just starting on the SLR adventure, he doesn't have any solid experience with it just yet. Since he got it, I have done quite a bit of research with regards to it, and it looks very promising. Additionally, Sierra has a 110SMK with an absolutely stupid BC of .617 (published). If you're running that at 3150-3200, you could still use it in the PRS.

What say the 6mm folks?

I too am torn, I have both .260 and a .243, the 260 shoots terrific and seems to plant bullets way out there easily. The 243 hasn't been tested enough to feel as confident..