• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Should I switch guns?

lightsareout

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Clarksville, TN
I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 about 2-3 months ago. It came with a cheap Remington 4-12x scope, 75$ rebate and it was also on sale so I was happy with the price. I was hoping to shoot the rifle with the scope until I could afford a better one (I was thinking it could be a year or more). Well the scope sucks and I'm ready to buy a new one. But now I'm thinking should I trade in the Varmint and get a Tactical. The shorter barrel would be nicer for hunting. I will only ever shoot up to 600 yards at the range; from what i've ready the tactical is still very accurate at 600.

Will I be loosing anything or making a bad decision going to the tactical? Or should I just have the barrel on the varmint whacked?

Re: Should I switch guns?

I have the SPS Tactical and I shoot it to 1000 yds with an S&B on it. So, I think you'd be fine with it. You have to be the one to decide if you want to spend the money or not, but the Tactical model is an accurate little gun. I do recommend swapping the stock though - I hate the hogue!

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the SPS Tactical and I shoot it to 1000 yds with an S&B on it. So, I think you'd be fine with it. You have to be the one to decide if you want to spend the money or not, but the Tactical model is an accurate little gun. I do recommend swapping the stock though - I hate the hogue!

Good luck! </div></div>

The hogue is still better than the cheap varmint stock

I don't know that much about the remington rifles but from just looking on the website it looks like the varmint barrel is 6" longer. So if you decide you want a shorter barrel you could always get the varmint barrel cut down, re crowned and threaded if you like (like how the tactical is).

It seems like you got a really good deal on the varmint. If you sell it to buy the tactical then you might lose $$ on that and then you will need to buy the new gun and you may not get a good of a deal on it. but I don't really know the going rates and how much better the tactical stock is, if at all.

Many people make it to 1000 yards with short barrels and pretty accurately too. But, you will lose velocity by going with a shorter barrel. Its up to you really. and remember you can always get the barrel cut down if you dont want it that long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....Will I be loosing anything or making a bad decision going to the tactical? Or should I just have the barrel on the varmint whacked? </div></div>

I do not think you will have any accuracy/performance issues if you are targeting shooting out to 600 yds with either model.

From your description it would seem your scope inveestment is the next one to make; having some decent glass certainly makes shooting more enjoyable for me.

The barrel length, stock, trigger, etc etc become more personal choices. For me hunting with a 26" barrel would not be preferred - I would rather max out around 24" but I am not sure I would swap out the firearm or spend moeny to have a smith cut it down. But for you that may bug the heck out of you everytime you hunt with it so that one is your call.

However there are a few phrases that pop up here that I found to be spot on:
- start with a basic gun and "shoot the crap out of it and then you will know what you want", and
- "buy once, cry once".

Get the best glass you can afford, shoot the crap out of what you have, and then go from there....

My 2 cents

Thanks for the advice, I am looking at getting a Nikon Monarch 4-16x mildot scope and mount it on a nice base and a good set of rings. I doubt with the varmint stock that it would shoot as good as the hogue on the tact. I'll have to weight my pros and cons and see how much i could get for the varmint if i sold it.

If you are going for a scope with a mildot reticle I would recommend looking for one with a mil turrets. Makes things MUCH easier...... Once I started using turrets that match the reticle I found I did not like using my other scopes and now switching the old ones out.

You're going to take some sort of a loss by selling a used rifle and getting a new one.

Send it to Randy (HATECA here) and have him cut the barrel to 22" and thread and install one of his RAD Brake's while it's there. Probably $200 total with shipping. You'd be close to that with selling one rifle and buying another and this way you get a brake with it.

Or if you are going to sell and buy, look at the AAC Remington that is threaded and 20" already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're going to take some sort of a loss by selling a used rifle and getting a new one.

Send it to Randy (HATECA here) and have him cut the barrel to 22" and thread and install one of his RAD Brake's while it's there. Probably $200 total with shipping. You'd be close to that with selling one rifle and buying another and this way you get a brake with it.

Or if you are going to sell and buy, look at the AAC Remington that is threaded and 20" already.

</div></div>

Also, the AAC is a 1/10 twist for a little heavier bullet where as the tactical sps has a 1/12 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt with the varmint stock that it would shoot as good as the hogue on the tact. I'll have to weight my pros and cons and see how much i could get for the varmint if i sold it. </div></div>

You will be surprised.

You are going to take a hit if you sell the Varmint. You are not really going to gain anything at all with the "Tactical".

Buy your scope, if you find that the barrel really causes you trouble then have it cut back. With an expected range of only 600 yards you could cut it back to 18 inches and still be fine. However I don't have much trouble threading through the woods with a 26" barrel.

I feel that getting the Tactical is going to put you right back where you started.

Bear in mind I have had a SPS-V, restocked SPS-V, SPS-T AAC-SD, and 700 ADL Varmint. There is little accuracy difference until you work on that stock.

I would stick with your current rifle and save up for better glass or reloading equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Send it to Randy (HATECA here) and have him cut the barrel to 22" and thread and install one of his RAD Brake's while it's there. ... </div></div>

If you do end up going for a brake then I would second a vote for the RAD brakes Very easy for on/off. Makes it nice and easy to clean. I do not have any experience owning any other brakes but this one works very well for me. If you get one just order a thread protector and you can shoot with the brake on or off (some ranges are not as brake friendly).

The good thing about a Remmy, every one on earth has one, or has had one at some point. I would keep your current stick as the others have said. If the barrel length bothers you, get it cut.

The thing is this:
1) You are now invested in the Path to Remington. If you really plan on shooting, keep what you got and have work done to it.
2) Pick one thing at a time if that is all the money you have, and take care of it. The scope for instance, get a better one. Then consider a stock, or the barrel being cut down.
3) Keep an eye on the For Sale here on the Hide, you can run across some Fantastic Deals!!!

Another thing to consider is that by having the barrel cut, you might possibly even gain some accuracy when the smith re-cuts the crown. You also may as well consider getting the action trued up.

Face it, you are "in the soup now" !
smile.gif

Have a good one,
Gary