• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I toss out the brass?

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
I recently loaded a few rounds too hot.

Primers were knocked loose from the case and there were heavy ejector marks on the head but no bright ring near the head of the case.

This is twice fired RP brass 308win

Should I junk the cases that were exposed to overpressure or are they safe to reload again?

Thanks

Re: Should I toss out the brass?

If it were me, I would toss the brass...308 isn't that expensive and alot less expensive than plastic surgery to fix hands/face and eyes if something comes apart.
If you insist on using those cases:
Use the paperclip test to see if there is impending case head seperation. Bend a paperclip at 90 degrees about 1/16" from the tip with needle nose pliers and run it up and down along the case walls near the case head. If you feel a little ridge toss the brass.

Also, if the primers were pushed out, are the primer pockets still tight?

Once again if it is a "few rounds" I would toss the brass and chalk it up to a learning experience.
madd0c

Thats the way I was leaning but another reloader I know said that he would take them if I was going to throw them out. I don't want it on me if they fail, so I thought I'd get a few more opinions.

Edit: He's not really a reloader, he's stockpiling brass to get started reloading.

I'd pitch it. He should be told to pass too. Explain pressure and case head seperation.

Mark them with a permanent marker like a SHARPIE pen and keep them seperate for die or bullet setup. Just don't load them.

When in doubt chuck em out

Perhaps keep them for other purposes ie homemade guages, determining annealing time and temps and stuff like that

Best to play it safe in this game

I had that same thing happen to me, and stupid me I reloaded them anyways. I didn't get any kaboom but I did have a primer fallout and get stuck in my magazine. Not fun.

Toss them.

I think loose primer pockets makes for the end of life for brass.

I recently had a 25acp loaded hot, get a primer that fell out stuck between the trigger bar and the frame.

Primers in the gun can jam it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark them with a permanent marker like a SHARPIE pen and keep them seperate for die or bullet setup. Just don't load them.</div></div>

+1 Use them to make some snap caps, die setup, etc.

Brass is cheap, toss them or find another use, don't risk screwing up an expensive rifle.

Let me see, 55,000psi going off right in front of my eye and cheekbone.........

Use some of them for die set ups and snap caps. The rest, crimp the mouth shut with a pliers and toss them.

Get rid of them. Don't even think about giving them to anyone else.

I'm going to mark them and set them aside for snap caps and die set up or whatever else may come up.

Thanks for the input guys