• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder bumping for a short spec’d chamber.

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I appreciate the help on the last few inquiries, you guys are great.

As I mentioned in some posts before, I have a short chambered 223 rem. It’s .0001” from minimum (it’s at 1.460”).

Being that my virgin brass is measuring at 1.4595 or 1.460”, is it ok/advisable to shoulder bump virgin brass to 1.458”? Or just run it as is? (I’ve spot checked it, and it all chambers).

How would you approach shoulder bumping once fired brass for this short of a chamber?

Thanks in advance.

As I mentioned in some posts before, I have a short chambered 223 rem. It’s .0001” from minimum (it’s at 1.460”).

Being that my virgin brass is measuring at 1.4595 or 1.460”, is it ok/advisable to shoulder bump virgin brass to 1.458”? Or just run it as is? (I’ve spot checked it, and it all chambers).

How would you approach shoulder bumping once fired brass for this short of a chamber?

Thanks in advance.
Will it chamber without issue? You said it chambers, so I'm just asking if it chambers without you cranking the bolt handle or something. If so, then it's fine. See what it measures after you shoot it, and measure the length (OAL ) of it before and after you shoot it.

The reason we bump brass is to make sure it chambers without issue. We bump it as little as possible while ensuring it will chamber without issue. If it does in fact stay at 1.460" then bump it next time and see if it again goes to 1.460" , if so then bump it .002" less and roll with it.

Yes, virgin brass all seems to chamber without issue (at least without a bullet loaded).

Question is, shoulder bump it even shorter from the get go? Shoot as is and then shoulder bump after first firing?

Yes, virgin brass all seems to chamber without issue (at least without a bullet loaded).

Question is, shoulder bump it even shorter from the get go? Shoot as is and then shoulder bump after first firing?
Edited to give you a full reply

I just had a similar situation with new starline 223 brass. On my comparator it measured right at what my fired brass does. It all chambered fine and I shot it without bumping the shoulders.

Reactions: Dolomite

Thanks in advance.

Treat it like any other brass. If there's enough room for the shoulder (whichever method you choose to use, wheeler, etc), then just F/L size it without touching shoulder. Once it's formed long enough to need it, start bumping the shoulder back your desired amount.

If your virgin brass fits at least as well as you'd want your fired and sized brass fits, then just run it. If the brass doesn't fit in your chamber properly, either bump the virgin brass shoulder back that it fits, or have a reamer run deeper into the chamber.

Also, unless you're using an indicator stand and such, if you're using regular calipers, don't attempt to get measurements down to .0001. Calipers are only accurate to +/- 0.001. Which is likely why your chamber measures 1.460 and your 1.460 brass still fits fine.

Reactions: Dolomite