• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Shoulder holster for Afganistahn

reelman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I posted this in the equipment forum also but thought it might be a good idea to put it in the handgun section also.

My nephew is being deployed to Afganistahn this fall and needs a shoulder holster rig to carry a M92F. He's a pilot and is required to carry a weapon at all times. Concealment is not required, or even desired, for this rig. Does anyone have any suggestions for a QUALITY shoulder rig that points the muzzle down?

Diamond D. Custom Leather. They will issue him a Galco otherwise. Technically he should be using what he qual'd in. If he's Air Force that will be a safariland 6000 series, possibly a SERPA if he brings his own rig to his qual day at the range. They might not be doing that anymore however, due to buffoonery by complacent shooters.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the requirement to carry in a shoulder holster muzzle down, but I have long since given up trying to rationalize AF regulations. I would seriously recommend confirming the muzzle down requirement, but have some suggestions regardless:

Muzzle down:
- M9 Tanker holster (easily found on ebay). They are a pain in the arse to strap on, and have been a military issued item for over 20yrs.
- A high quality tanker holster is made by El Paso Saddelry, and their leather work is top notch, e.g., pass down to the grandkids kind of quality. Be sure to double whatever lead time they quote though. 1942 "Tanker" Holster - 3" to 5" Barrels
- Guides Choice holster from Diamond D. They are very high quality (also much better than the issued one), and carry across the chest. Link: Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

Muzzle parallel with the ground:
- Galco, as others have mentioned.
- Mitch Rosen "Stylemaster" would be my personal choice, as it rides high under the arm and doesn't require tie-downs. It is rather spendy, but is of much higher quality than the Galco, but it might take >90 days for Mitch to put it together. If you call and mention it's for a deployment, however, he may put you in front of the line. Rosen Product Line

Tell him not to be a douche and get a belt holster like everyone else. Every pilot thinks they need a shoulder holster so when they are in PTs everyone will still know they are a pilot.

As far as ghe air force goes, Not wearing a shoulder holster is really out of place over there. Either a drop leg safariland or serpa is the only other option. The old school suicide flap web belt holsters are only worn by guard and reservists who dont know or care any better. The whole "muzzle down" thing is largely ignored, although there may be a reg on the books somewhere. Personal holster choice is really one of those gray areas where different regs for different services overlap, and various levels of give-a-shit by base leadership means he might have to PTT to find out.

If he's wearing body armor, use the Blackhawk Serpa canted 45 degrees on his chest. There's a MOLLE attachment that makes it the bomb! That's what I wore in Iraq. Weagon is out of the way, visible and handy. Draw from the chest is very, very fast.

For "around the base" I wore a riggers belt with a Serpa on the strong side and two Kydex mag holders on the weak side.

I myself would go against the El Paso Saddlery holster. I do have one and wear it daily but it's not what I expected for the money I spent. I carry the 5 inch XD in it horizontally and I find it one hell of a reach to get to in case of need (I really have to stretch to get to it). When I got it I opened the box and thought it was made of plastic. Fits the XD very well but isn't the most comfortable to wear (shoulder straps are to narrow). It is exceptable but not (in my opinion) not a class act holster. Just my thoughts.

Tell him not to be a douche and get a belt holster like everyone else. Every pilot thinks they need a shoulder holster so when they are in PTs everyone will still know they are a pilot.

You've obviously never had to sit in an aircraft with your sidearm strapped to your waist before. There are reasons "fly-boys" like the shoulder holster and it isn't JUST that they want to look cool...

And yes, the AF makes you have your M9 muzzle down because people felt "uncomfortable" looking down the barrel of holstered Berettas.

If he's stopping in Turkey, Pop's Leather has some nice holsters!

You've obviously never had to sit in an aircraft with your sidearm strapped to your waist before. There are reasons "fly-boys" like the shoulder holster and it isn't JUST that they want to look cool...

And yes, the AF makes you have your M9 muzzle down because people felt "uncomfortable" looking down the barrel of holstered Berettas.

If he's stopping in Turkey, Pop's Leather has some nice holsters!

Worth a special trip from Istanbul? I'm going to be there for 2 months this summer.

Worth a special trip from Istanbul? I'm going to be there for 2 months this summer.

If you are going to be near incirlik anyhow, id swing by Pops. Best leather flight jackets ive ever seen. Some "neat" holsters, and more knock off gucci than you can shake a stick at!

Muzzle down shoulder holster are a requirement on most of the larger bases here, regardless of service. Once you get away from KAF, BAF, etc, sanity returns.