• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show me your varmint AR

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Show me what you have an what you love about your gun (and maybe what you would have done differently).

I'm putting together a varmint AR and still need to purchase a number of components such as pistol grip, BCG (I know, terrible timing on this one), handguard, and various other bits. I know these are not really the most critical components, but I want to see what you have

Please tell me what you have on it:
Barrel
Handguard
Pistol grip
Trigger
Stock
BCG
Optic (and reticle choice)
Any other components you want to show off

Load me up with your pictures and opinions!!!

Re: Show me your varmint AR

Here's my baby. I like to show her off every chance I get:

ar6.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Upper</span>
Noveske 18" barrel
SWS 14" rail
Vortex flash hider
VLTOR MUR upper receiver
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40
ADM Recon-S mount
BCM Gunfighter CH
Stippled XTM/KAC panels
Atlas V8 bipod w/ ADM mount

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Lower</span>
RRA lower receiver
RRA lower parts kit
Geissele SSA trigger
LMT SOPMOD
Ergo grip
LMT buffer tube
Spikes T2 buffer

I am in love with this gun and it's a dream to shoot. Honestly I can only think of two things I would change if I were to do it over again. First off, I would rather have the Noveske NSR rail instead of the SWS rail. The SWS is only about 4-5 oz heavier than the NSR but in the field every ounce counts. Second, I would have gotten a regular forged upper receiver instead of the VLTOR billet upper. I went with the VLTOR just because I think it looks better but I would rather save the money and weight by going with the forged upper next time.

Now for the pro's. IMO the Accupoint with the green dot is the best hunting scope out there. It's lightweight and you can't beat it in lowlight situations especially for the money. The LMT SOPMOD is by far my favorite stock out there. It's fairly lightweight and I could easily take a nap on it. The ADM mount locks up solid and the levers are extremely easy to use compared to my old Burris PEPR. And of course the Noveske barrel. I've only put 73 rounds through her but so far she drives tacks out to 200 yards. This is my first experience with a Noveske barrel and I am very impressed so far.

Good luck with your rifle!

9-26-12013_zpsa67499f5.jpg

RRA 24" Varmint
Geissle NM trigger
SS 5-20 with TPS rings

The only thing I might change is to put a PRS stock on and maybe an Atlas instead of the Harris.
Trigger is perfect, breaks right at 42oz.
TPS rings are OK, prefer Luepold MK IV's. Need the base to have the scope forward enough for my eyes.
Unloaded weight, right around 14lbs. Need TAB sling
20" barrel better option?Possibly...
Shoots 77gr SMK's out to 600yrds very well.
On a 60deg day,my varget loads clock at 2800 fps.

FYI, we had a very dry summer, tough year for the lawn.

Mine is a DD m4v1 upper with a RRA lower. It works great for getting out of a vehicle fast and getting rounds out before those pesky coyotes duck you behind a hill. Lets see if I can get a pic uploaded***

257k8jq.jpg

NovVar_zpsffcc3fb8.jpg

Noveske 20" Varmint Upper
NSR Handguard
Vortex Viper HS 5-15x
Burris Pepr mount
Mega lower
Timney Trigger
PRS Stock

Shoots the 69gr bullets best

I Don't really care for the Burris mount. I hope to switch that out in the future.

WOAEA2231_zpscc8d469c.jpg

White Oak 223 upper (scope is temporarily mounted)

SD65Grendel_zpse441864d.jpg

Specialized Dynamics 6.5 Grendel

Dogginriflescopy_zpsbf98254c.jpg

Sorry had to throw in the bolt guns. Most of my Varmint bolt guns wear Leupold 6.5-20s. I like the newer ones with the 30mm tube, side focus/paralax and the 40mm obj. makes for a really low mount. My favorite reticules have been the target dot or the Leupold dot but both are hard to find. Side focus is mandatory in a p-dog town as you scan the horizon you never know at what distance you'll find your best target.

I don't have a dedicated varmint AR as a prefer a bolt gun but my LMT CQB MRP goes everywhere with me and is responsible for many groundhog dirt naps. This one was a head shot at a little over 150 yards.

71523126-342C-41E4-ABF2-B0018C421AFD-2320-000004E888D0BD58.jpg

It's just an MRP CQB with a AAC Ranger 2 can and Troy sights.

That is a very nice set of bolt guns, no reason to be ashamed there. Bolt or gas!

204.jpg

Sorry for the cellphone pic, this reminds me I need to take a picture of this thing with a real camera.

RRA lower
JP Trigger
Magpul Grip
DPMS Slickside Upper
PRS Stock
JP Handguard
Lilja 23" .204 Ruger Drop in Barrel
JP Adjustable Gasblock
6-24X50 Vortex PST
AADMOUNT Scope Mount

file-7.jpg
[/img]

This is my Larue Stealth there are others like it but this one is mine.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No varmints as of yet on this one.....

76A72719-EC85-499E-991B-BA69ABE6194C-4677-0000036B27DD7935.jpg

</div></div>

What do you think of the side charger set up?

My varmint slayer

bushy-1.jpg

Barrel is a Wilson SS that I had Cerakoted flat black so it doesn't reflect sun light.

Handguard is a Hogue free float.

Pistol grip is a G27.

Trigger is a JP single stage.

Stock is Magpul PRS.

BCG is a full auto CMT

Optic is a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x

its an accurate bastard too.

group-1.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, I'm not much on photography.
IMG_0948_zps34fcd5b4.jpg

Rifle is a DPMS "Bull 24"
-24" Fluted stainless bull barrel
-Magpul PRS stock, trigger guard, and magazines.
-Ergo grip
-Harris Swivel Bipod
-ADM Recon 20moa mount
-Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14, Illuminated TMR reticle
-Timney Skeleton 3# trigger (awesome)

Shoots pretty good too.
IMG_0344-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No varmints as of yet on this one.....

76A72719-EC85-499E-991B-BA69ABE6194C-4677-0000036B27DD7935.jpg

</div></div>

What do you think of the side charger set up? </div></div>

I like it a lot. I do a lot of my shooting from prone and built this gun for coyote hunting. You never have to reposition to cycle the bolt and never have a hard time getting at the charging handle under the scope. Additionally I am putting a switchblock on for a suppressor. So when I completely turn off the gas it won't be as cumbersome to reload.

Is it worth the extra effort to build one like this set-up? Probably not, but it serves me well. The mega receiver set is built like a tank, and the white oak barrel is top notch. Only thing I'd do different is build it in 6.5 grendel. The 77 grain SMK's don't come out of the barrel very fast and they are super wind sensitive. This gun has taught how to shoot in the wind!

My AR four & two legged varmit rig~

Barrel is a stainless steel Wilson / round floated handguard.
Lower is Bushmaster
Jewell 2 stage trigger
PRS rear stock
Mk4-16X Leupold scope / Duplex
Harris Bipod

I got the upper on a whim with the intent of pulling the barrel and swapping with a Keieger but the Wilson barrel has shot really well thus far. Using Sierra 52 BTHP match bullets I can easily group 5/8" (.625) at 100 yards so I am using it as is.

My trusty Steiner 10X50's and my Bushnell laser range finder that still works well. I think its the original model!

My "best" shot was a chuck peeking out of his hole at 385 yards.

Flattopar_zpsf6bfa26c.jpg

Excellent rifles!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post. They are really helping me make decisions for my rifle.

Keep them coming!!!

Seekins-upper4.jpg

Seekins upper/rail with SunDevil lower. Noveske barrel with matched LMT bolt from MSTN. UBR stock, Ergo Deluxe grip and Timney 3# trigger.

I sold the Burris 1-4 and Larue mount. I got a Noveske/ADM mount and I'm waiting on the SWFA SS 1-6. So far the only blood on it is hog. Need to change that and will when the scope comes. Only regret is selling the Burris so quick before the SS will get here but I needed the money to put towards the new scope. Been keeping the bolt guns handy lately though.

small-415-yote.jpg

My 6PDK I built last summer

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGWfq6T9Cjk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGWfq6T9Cjk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Ohio G'Hog Hunting

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81pMVGZNGi0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81pMVGZNGi0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

SU1BRzA2OTcuanBn-1.jpg

SU1BRzA3MDAuanBn.jpg

18" Saturn 6.5 grendel
LAR Grizzly billet sidecharger upper receiver
DPMS panther lower
timmney 3 lb trigger
PRS stock
JP Vtac free float tube
JP adjustable gas block
AAC Cyclone suppressor
Weaver 3-15x50 tactical scope