• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Show your 1911 build

martinez_ian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
havre, mt
I've wanted build a 1911 for a long time now. I got the money, now I'm just looking for some ideas. Any pictures and descriptions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: Show your 1911 build

There are all kinds of options. To name a few in the photos below:

Flattened Slides
Grooved Slides
Checkering vs. Scalloping vs. Stippling FS/BS
3 hole vs. Solid triggers, etc.
Different Sights
Bobtail Frames
Ball cuts (there are different types)
Naked Slides
Crowns

Here are some technical descriptions and here. Also, the SVI 1911 Builder assists some with ideas (you have to register to use it ...).

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

NHC-Tact.jpg

Here are a bunch of pics of a Caspian Commander that I built. It is the second Caspian that I did and I have to say they are nice!

azraelsept2009002.jpg

azraelsept2009003.jpg

azraelsept2009004.jpg

azraelsept2009006.jpg

azraelsept2009008.jpg

azraelsept2009009.jpg

azraelsept2009010.jpg

azraelsept2009011.jpg

azraelsept2009015.jpg

azraelsept2009018.jpg

url]

url]

url]

I built a 1911. It obviously isn't the most amazing gun, but it's a pretty decent one. I owed an army buddy some money and built one for him at his request and that was my excuse to build my own. I'm a little rusty but when I took the gun out it was shooting ragged holes at 10 yards and that's not awful. The sights were low so I had to replace the front sight with a lower one and I haven't gotten out to shoot again since. I made a you tube video about the build process:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjCmcapwq0E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjCmcapwq0E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Please make that the last time you ever thumb the hammer down on a 1911 pistol.

Thanks for the pics and the info, these are some nice looking 1911's. Thanks for the video. I was gonna ask-what is the best trigger for like comp. shooting in your opinion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barnes12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top: Custom Longslide Caspian in 10mm
</div></div>

Details? My next 1911 will be a 10mm longslide, and this looks like quite an attractive option. Did you build it yourself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barnes12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_2522.jpg

Bottom: Customized Springfield 45</div></div>

Who customized the Springfield? Who checkered the front strap?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the pics and the info, these are some nice looking 1911's. Thanks for the video. I was gonna ask-what is the best trigger for like comp. shooting in your opinion? </div></div>

Probably down around 2.5lbs. The lighter the trigger gets the faster accurate shooting will be. My gun is 3.5 there and it's a duty style settup, not nearly as precise as one I have that is ~2.25 or so. You have to waste more time squeezing the trigger for equal precision the heavier it gets.

I'd be pretty surprised if any of the major name competitors had triggers over 3 lbs.

Ken Crawley of Crawley custom did the work to both guns. He did a 25 lpi checkering on the Springfield, trigger, hammer and sear, sights and finish. On the 10 mm it is a Caspian slide and frame, bar sto barrel, bomar sights, and lots of Wilson, Ed Brown and STI parts. Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs on both. His work is world class and the guns will shoot with the best of them.

Here is my STI Legacy. Pretty much a factory pistol, added a magwell, SHC the trigger guard and added some thin TI grips.. I must say, magwell is a must have on a single stack.
1198777.jpg

I was out doing a demo today and finally had a chance to shoot it at 15 yds offhand. I'd taken it out previously only to learn I needed a lower front sight to raise the POI. (frustrating)
In the time in between I tweaked the trigger down to around 3.5lbs and it feels really nice now.

I built two, one for an Army buddy, and mine is on the left.
img1297ye.jpg

dscn0454j.jpg