• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SHTF rifle

Irish1972

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2010
Florida Panhandle
I am looking to buy or build a SHTF rifle and am thinking of going with a AR platform.. I have about a 800$ budget and I have seen the MP-15's on CDNN but i would rather have one local just figured i would get your thoughts on make model.. etc..

Re: SHTF rifle

I too recommend RRA rifles as excellent "entry level" AR-15's. They feature good quality parts, 100% reliability when properly maintained, and very good accuracy which RRA guarantees and stands behind.

For an $800 budget, you are looking at the basic CAR A4 (flattop) or CAR A2 (carry handle/fixed) rifles. For just a little more money ($900), you can get into some of the more "optioned" rifles that feature upgraded parts like stocks, sights, FF handguards, etc.

You can check with Legal Transfers (the site that Silverbullet-2 linked you to) and see what kind of prices they can offer you...just make sure you know what is and isn't in stock and their expected wait-time if it isn't immediately available. My preference for RRA rifles/parts is RB Precision. Rob and Krista are great people and offer highly competitive pricing.

http://www.rbprecision.com/rock_river_arms_ar15_rifles.htm

Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDNN has some nice COLT used rifles, at your price point. </div></div>

But, you have to watch the Colts because of the pin size issue. Only on some, and it won't matter on a complete stand-alone rifle but will affect swapping uppers.

Some may not be familiar: Colt at one time - thinking late 1980s or early 1990s - used different sized hinge pins on AR-15 destined for civilian sales to prevent putting an M16 upper on easily. Hence the "large pin/small pin" questions you may see.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at used Colts. You want small pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rjroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDNN has some nice COLT used rifles, at your price point. </div></div>

But, you have to watch the Colts because of the pin size issue. Only on some, and it won't matter on a complete stand-alone rifle but will affect swapping uppers.

Some may not be familiar: Colt at one time - thinking late 1980s or early 1990s - used different sized hinge pins on AR-15 destined for civilian sales to prevent putting an M16 upper on easily. Hence the "large pin/small pin" questions you may see.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at used Colts. You want small pin. </div></div>

This can be overcome with a front pivot pin from Brownells. If the "deal" is "right", don't let the pin size be a deal breaker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rjroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDNN has some nice COLT used rifles, at your price point. </div></div>

Just something to keep in mind when looking at used Colts. You want small pin. </div></div>

This can be overcome with a front pivot pin from Brownells. If the "deal" is "right", don't let the pin size be a deal breaker. </div></div>

Thanks for the PIN information. I was not aware of that.

SHTF - what is it to you?

$800? No question in my mind:

AK47 / Surfire G2 / 1/2 dozen mags / 1k rounds of ammo

Good luck

I have had nothing but great things to say about my M&P AR-15T Three thousand rounds later without a hickup! I would say go with Smith and Wesson over RRA without a doubt.

Just as a update I located a Bushmaster complete lower for 300$ I am seriously considering... there is also a gun show this weekend so i will look at uppers.
Keep the opinions coming
Thanks Irish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SHTF - what is it to you?

$800? No question in my mind:

AK47 / Surfire G2 / 1/2 dozen mags / 1k rounds of ammo

Good luck </div></div>

+1

Especially if its Zombies.

For 150 yards and under a good AK rifle with red dot and mags.
Past 150 any decent .223 rifle.

For urban use and close to moderate range and AK is hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FAL .308 with a chainsaw bayonet and a rail accessory to hold my Cheetos dispenser. </div></div>

This.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FAL .308 with a chainsaw bayonet and a rail accessory to hold my Cheetos dispenser.</div></div>
Shank, since you brought it up, who makes the best rail accessory to hold a Cheetos despenser? Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irish1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as a update I located a Bushmaster complete lower for 300$ I am seriously considering... there is also a gun show this weekend so i will look at uppers.
Keep the opinions coming
Thanks Irish </div></div>
Sounds like a decent price for a complete lower.

If you like real forged parts then you might look at colonial machine and tool. Which would be labeled as a stag or colt. I would also recommend an lmt or bravo company manufacturing. I have heard that lmt has been using cast steel for their gas keys but i dont know if this is true. Highly recommend bravo company though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 150 yards and under a good AK rifle with red dot and mags.

For urban use and close to moderate range and AK is hard to beat. </div></div>

I'll +1 this, AKs will keep firing no matter what the environment. [img:center]
SSR-56-2a.jpg
[/img]
Arsenal USA/Global Trades SSR-56-2 1.8mm receiver & EOtech 512.65

I've got a different take on SHTF rifles than a lot of people. I think a good bolt action, suppressed .22LR would be the way to go for most of what SHTF scenarios could be imagined.

A somewhat inaccurate, loud, but reliable gun such as the AK would not appeal to me too much personally. I'm not military, trained to run one, and I'd probably avoid conflict as much as possible in SHTF. A .22LR would be good for hunting, virtually silent so it wouldn't attract attention from the dudes with AK's hunting for resources, you can easily stock up and transport a boatload of ammo for it, and it could be used for defense if necessary and especially if coupled with good fieldcraft. Probably the ideal would be a combination of a defensive carbine and a good .22LR... maybe an AR-15 with a removable .22LR conversion kit and a decent can would be a good thought in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a different take on SHTF rifles than a lot of people. I think a good bolt action, suppressed .22LR would be the way to go for most of what SHTF scenarios could be imagined.

A somewhat inaccurate, loud, but reliable gun such as the AK would not appeal to me too much personally. I'm not military, trained to run one, and I'd probably avoid conflict as much as possible in SHTF. A .22LR would be good for hunting, virtually silent so it wouldn't attract attention from the dudes with AK's hunting for resources, you can easily stock up and transport a boatload of ammo for it, and it could be used for defense if necessary and especially if coupled with good fieldcraft. Probably the ideal would be a combination of a defensive carbine and a good .22LR... maybe an AR-15 with a removable .22LR conversion kit and a decent can would be a good thought in my opinion. </div></div>

I agree thats why everyone should have a .22 due to the amount of ammo you could carry and an AR or AK in the event you couldn't avoid confrontation.

I was going to suggest a converted 5.45 Saiga and lotsa surplus mags and ammo, but actually for the price you are looking at a Spike's Tactical fits the bill pretty well. (I'd recommend the middy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A somewhat inaccurate, loud, but reliable gun such as the AK would not appeal to me too much personally. </div></div>

How would a surprisingly accurate, extremely reliable 7.62 AKM that's quiet appeal to you?

IMG_2561.jpg
smile.gif

Those S&W deals won't last and they are a steal at that price. Consider the rebate from S&W and it becomes a no-brainer. Smith is going to give you a lifetime warranty from the factory and a chrome-lined barrel made by Thompson Center. They are very accurate and reliable. I would not hesitate to pick one up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A somewhat inaccurate, loud, but reliable gun such as the AK would not appeal to me too much personally. </div></div>

How would a surprisingly accurate, extremely reliable 7.62 AKM that's quiet appeal to you?

IMG_2561.jpg
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ooh yes.. now that is appealing to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMG_2561.jpg
smile.gif
</div></div>

That thing is awesome, can we get some details on this weapon.

A ture SHTF rifle shold be extremely common, reliable and versatile, and the only two semiautos that really fit the bill are the AR and AK. The question to as is whether you prefer accuracy and range or durability and close-in power. For my money, a converted Saiga or a Rock River or Smith and WEsson AR are your best bets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMG_2561.jpg
smile.gif
</div></div>

That thing is awesome, can we get some details on this weapon. </div></div>

Thank you.

I call it my 7.62 Norinco T56SHTF.

It's a pre-ban ChiCom AKM that I added UltiMAK rails, T-1, Vltor receiver tube extension, LMT SOPMOD
butt stock, 14 X 1M left hand DC Vortex, ERGO grip, AFG and SEI/Fisher M14-DC sound suppressor to.
It cycles sub sonic ammo
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a different take on SHTF rifles than a lot of people. I think a good bolt action, suppressed .22LR would be the way to go for most of what SHTF scenarios could be imagined.

A somewhat inaccurate, loud, but reliable gun such as the AK would not appeal to me too much personally. I'm not military, trained to run one, and I'd probably avoid conflict as much as possible in SHTF. A .22LR would be good for hunting, virtually silent so it wouldn't attract attention from the dudes with AK's hunting for resources, you can easily stock up and transport a boatload of ammo for it, and it could be used for defense if necessary and especially if coupled with good fieldcraft. Probably the ideal would be a combination of a defensive carbine and a good .22LR... maybe an AR-15 with a removable .22LR conversion kit and a decent can would be a good thought in my opinion. </div></div>
I think you are on the right track except for the fact a good accurate handgun you can conceal on your person reasonably well will be very handy. read up on the aftermath of the katrina and some of the other places where there have been natural disasters or social collapse .

I keep ak 47 and AR -15 M1A and a pile of drum mags for all plus ammo Im so old that shtf does not worry me all that much oh and the 50 cal BMG for hard targets . I also have bdu rats and gear for five guys in short a A team now working on nv stuff and a nice clean APC. A man got to collect stuff right over the years it piles up regards

If SHTF you pretty much just want some high capacity detachable mag fed rifle and plenty of ammo. AK, AR, it doesn't matter. will say I was in NO during Katrina and downside of AKs is cops see you and think "gangbanger." Their instant impression might not be good.

Whereas a guy with an AR looks at least like he "might" be friendly. Regardless, just make sure you have money for ammo and a short carbine class. You're better off with a cheap AK that you have been trained to use vs an expensive AR platform rifle that you have just plinked at the range with.

Rock Rivers are great. Get one with a fixed front sight and detachable carry handle or better yet no rear sight and then buy a Larue fixed rear sight or Troy folder. This should be doable for $800. If you go the BUIS route, you'll be set for optics if you ever want them.

If I had to bug out for an indefinite period of time, my .22 mag semi-auto rifle and pistol would for sure go with me!

Why no mention of the Mini-14/30? They are a solid dependable, effective weapon system. Ammo is readily available, as are hi-cap mags. And are accurate enough for minute of chest, in a SHTF situation. Are not as "unfriendly" looking as an AK, will chew up and spit out whatever you feed it, and are well within the price range. I've had both, and still have a Mini, love it for what it is. A solid dependable weapon.
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was in NO during Katrina and downside of AKs is cops see you and think "gangbanger." Their instant impression might not be good.</div></div>

Good point, but that may not be the case these days. A good number of 'average Joe'
type people added AKs to their personal arsenals post Katrina and the cops know this.

Someone already said it... Spikes middy, if you need an AR in that budget range.
I prefer a SBR in 6.8 But once ammo is gone, well....

a surpressed 22 semi auto rifle

and a 22 pistol

Ammo is incredibly abundant, and 22lr has claimed more lives than any other caliber...

nice thing about the AR platform is that you can buy the base gun shoot it...and add more later

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Garand. </div></div>

+1

I've got an Bushy A3 16.5, no rails or anything, in fact I haven't customized it at all, fun to shoot no problems or jams. It was my first AR and it plinks real well.

Think I saw one in the sale forum for your price point.

Anyway, if you end up getting that complete lower you can get uppers mailed to you, so I'd check web sales as well as sale forums and the gun show you were talking about. You might find some great deals.

H2O - that's a sweet AK man.

I love my Rock River Armys Entry Tactical rifle. Was getting excellent accuracy out of the box and F.T.E. on me 1 time due to a magazine issue. With my pgmags and unknown tons of ammo later, no problems.

And as they advertise it,
"Tough, reliable, just ask the DEA"

In a real SHTF scenerio, you want more than one rifle. My suggestion would be to have a good reliable .22LR, a shotgun, a handgun, and a "get down to business rifle" with lots of ammo.

If I had to bug out real fast I'd take my 10/22, my 870, one of my handguns (probably 9 or .40 because of ammo availability) and one of my AK's and AR's. That way you should be set if you're forced to provide food for yourself.

As for your $800 budget... you should be able to build a decent AR, which would be better than most entry AR's sold. An example would be a BCM upper with a decent yet inexpensive handguard rail, then an inexpensive but good lower group (something like CMMG). Throw some cheap BUIS on (like Magpul's). Later when you get more $$ you can add to it. I'm about to build something similar strictly as a truck rifle.

When the SHTF they will probably find me dead near the opened cases of myriad and sundry configurations of FAL because I took too long trying to pick which one to take with me.

FAL, and you can build one for maybe a bit over $800

Bravo Company, CMMG, RRA, Colt, S&W are all on a very even playing field as far as function goes with the AR15 family. At work we have both colt and RRA. The thing thing that sets the two apart is price and availability. RRA are far easier to obtain and are less expensive.

If you are looking for an AR and price is a factor, buy the RRA. The RRA will serve you well and if you decide to sell it the buyer will recognize the value of the name brand.

Concerning the SHTF weapon. Several have posted valid reasons to go with one weapon system vs another. I agree with going with the AR platform. The AR system is easy to learn, user friendly, easy to work on, there are millions of them in circulation which means parts will be easier to find than lever actions, various 22s, Garands, various scatterguns etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 150 yards and under a good AK rifle with red dot and mags.

For urban use and close to moderate range and AK is hard to beat. </div></div>

I'll +1 this, AKs will keep firing no matter what the environment. [img:center]
SSR-56-2a.jpg
[/img]
Arsenal USA/Global Trades SSR-56-2 1.8mm receiver & EOtech 512.65 </div></div>

What is the mount you used on this rifle? I want one for my AK.