• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SHTF rifle

Re: SHTF rifle

My SHTF is a Garand and a somewhat larger than average basic man load of ammo in enblocs.

One needs to think in practical terms. Just how much can be carried before the weight becomes unnecessarily burdensome. I think that's a lesson our modern military could get somewhat better.

While my best choice would be to hunker down and stay out of sight, I also think it's best to do advance planning as if that option will at some time eventually be denied.

For a partner, I maintain a Norinco SKS with a Choate Dragunov stock, and a B-Square gas tube mount and a dot scope. This has its own ChiCom ammo vest with dedicated ammo in strippers.

SKS for SR/MR, the Garand for the whole arena.

When envisioning my end, the world's end, and a genuinely colossal SHTF, I honestly expect those events to occur in the order I just listed.

Greg

To the OP,

If your heart is set on an AR, and want to learn something in the process, might want to check out the Del-Ton website. Buy a stripped receiver and build your own. You can make upgrades to the base carbine or rifle models.

This is the answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SHTF - what is it to you?

$800? No question in my mind:

AK47 / Surfire G2 / 1/2 dozen mags / 1k rounds of ammo

Good luck</div></div>

I agree with the AK guys. Cheap to buy, ammo as well, and if it jams you just hit it on the side and you're once again in business. Water, dirt and dust don't seem to affect the opperation and picking up the dead guy's ammo is a definate plus. Save the .223 and .308 for the longer range protection you might need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If SHTF you pretty much just want some high capacity detachable mag fed rifle and plenty of ammo. AK, AR, it doesn't matter. will say I was in NO during Katrina and downside of AKs is cops see you and think "gangbanger." Their instant impression might not be good. </div></div>

That would probably be an advantage. The New Orleans "Cops" were avoiding gangbangers and criminals, and only disarming those that would allow them.

Are you talking Red Dawn or a 28 Days Later zombie apocalypse? If my suburban neighborhood transformed into Kandahar, I would grab this. Very handy, common caliber (223), piston driven, and surprisingly accurate.

5234.jpg

5235.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too recommend RRA rifles as excellent "entry level" AR-15's. They feature good quality parts, 100% reliability when properly maintained, and very good accuracy which RRA guarantees and stands behind.

For an $800 budget, you are looking at the basic CAR A4 (flattop) or CAR A2 (carry handle/fixed) rifles. <span style="font-weight: bold"> For just a little more money ($900), you can get into some of the more "optioned" rifles that feature upgraded parts like stocks, sights, FF handguards, etc.</span>
</div></div>

My vote would be to save the extra $100 or so and then buy something more of the features that you ultimately want. When I got my Bushmaster it was abouit as plain as you could get. I ended up spending more on upgrades and accesories than I did on the original rifle. That being said, I'm very happy with the finished product:

25z6kua.jpg

The good news is that the S**t will probably not be hitting the fan for a little while, so you have some time to plan and save.
Also, think about buying some ammo and spare parts: an extractor, firing pin, maybe even a spare BCG. A spare LPK wouldn't be bad to have either. If things go bad and stay that way for an extended period, a repair may be nessecary.

My 3Gun AR
IMG_0949.jpg

...or my MSAR STG for reasons already pointed out by Ohiogunnut.
IMG_0874.jpg

The coll. stock AR has been sold but it would have been in the running too.

If I couldn't get to one of those, this is my third choice:
IMG_0957.jpg

(assuming great distance isn't a requirement). 16.25" .30-30. Handles great, shoots quite well out to 100yds, and quick follow up shots aren't a problem.