• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SHV F1, Razor Gen 1, Razor Gen 2

Joemannnnn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys,
I've been pulling my hair out trying to pick a new scope and have finally narrowed down to these 3. This will be going on an 18" Grendel AR I'm building. This will be mainly a range gun as I teach myself to shoot long range and work with a scope for the first time. Likely under 500 yards, but would like to find space and push further to 1,000. Also, I do think this will end up as a hunting rig. I started with much less of a budget, but thanks this forum, found myself wanting to buy once, cry once.

I've found a few deals and want to jump on one abd move on finally. I realize these scopes have some varying quality when comparing, but I'm also trying to weigh in value, etc.

There is a deal running for a nf shv f1 with a free kestrel. I don't see a need for the kestrel yet, so that's something I could flip to recoup some funds.

There's another deal on a gen 1 5-20 razor for $1,100.

And finally, I have the option of a like new gen 2 razor 3-15 in the $1,500 ballpark. I don't mind spending this much of it's worth it. But the weight of that scope on an AR worries me, that's my biggest hold up. Other than that, I love everything I read about this.

What would you do for your first scope? Appreciate the input

I understand your mental struggle with this decision. I think if you could define your intended use a little more.....it might help others to come up with solutions for you.

When you talk about shooting at the range 500 to eventually 1000 yards.......are you talking paper target or being able to hit a steel gong? And when you talk about using this rifle for hunting.....are you talking stalking deer? Or setting up for varmint hunting? You'll want to prioritize your Wants / Needs for this rifle and scope.

From the sounds of it.....you are running into the problem of the one gun catch all. I think it will be very hard for you to set up that rifle to do bench rest 1000 yard shooting and still have it work as a deer stalking rifle....that you will carry for miles. High powered bench rest scopes or higher powered tactical scopes tend to be larger and heavier than say a 1-6 power AR scope. Size and weight are not your friend when you're walking for miles. I've used my varmint hunting rigs ( 5-25 power) and had no problem hitting the 1000 yard target. But, it was much better ( Easier to be more accurate ) when shooting my rig with a 10-50 power scope. But......there's no chance I'd use my 10-50 power rig for big game hunting. For long range paper punching.....high magnification can really help. For big game hunting...you generally won't use high magnification. So, different scopes for different jobs.

There is a world of knowledge and experience on this site. I'm sure some of the experts can offer advice / information to you. I think any of the scopes you mentioned in your post would serve you very well.

Last edited:
Another I’’d throw in would be an 4.5-18 LRHS or LRTS from Bushnell. They’’re a little high on low end for close range hunting/stalking at 4.5x, and maybe a little short at 18x for precision long range work, and reticle at 18x a little thicker than I’’d like, but glass Is very good, tracks true, is 30mm and far lighter than all those you’’ve noted above. And does have an abbreviated G2 reticle for holds without dialing. I have two on 18/20” Grendels and would not hesitate recommending this as an option. And should be in the $1000-1100 range if you do some shopping. You’’re going to like Grendel once you’’ve had a chance to work with it.

The Gen2 Razor is at a different level from the other scopes you mentioned, and an amazing optic, but I personally wouldn't put it on a gas gun because of the weight issue.

I'd go with the SHV F1 over the Gen 1 Razor. The Bushnell ERS/LRHS is a good recommendation also in the $1000-$1200 range.

I've broken or had issues with almost every Vortex optic I've owned, including a 5-20 Razor. The Gen II Razors seem to be solid scopes though, no complaints (other than weight) with that one so far.

Thanks for the input so far. I do think I'm between the shv and saving some money vs the gen 2 razor at this point. About ready to flip a coin, ha

Ide go with the SHV I don’t think it can be beat for the money especially if it’s going to be for hunting ultimately. I only sold mine to get a more suitable scope for matches since I don’t get to hunt often

I'd go SHV-F1 all the way, because of weight+cost=Value(Right tool for the job!) It's will get you to 1000Y no problem.

I'd check out a Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 or the 2.5-15x50(both F1) For the money it might be a better choice?

I use use mine for stalks or power line sitting

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i150.photobucket.com\/albums\/s101\/WOLF223_MIA\/55FF3346-848A-47C4-9F72-AA3099C1F0D0_zpsjsa8acjy.jpeg"}[/IMG2]

I have a 20" Grendel, love the cartridge. I wouldn't go the Gen II Razor either. great scope, but I would rather have the Nightforce for this application.

And take that free Kestrel, believe me, when you start stretching to 1k, you'll have a use for it. I carry mine everywhere, even when I hunt. It was invaluable in the decision making process on whether or not to take a 970 yard shot at a very nice bull elk this fall. The wind was nasty and the Kestrel helped me realize it was simply too inconsistent to risk it. It's a great tool for long range shooting.

I don't disagree with any of the scopes mentioned, but i would recommend attacking this from a different angle. You stated you are going to teach yourself long range shooting. I recommend taking a 2 day precision rifle class. On top of the skills learned, you will learn a lot about what you want in a scope, and what features you dont need. You will also be able to get behind other scopes, and check them out.
You may have to borrow a scope for the class, but your final purchase decision should be more solid.

Last edited:
One of the best scopes around fitting for an AR is the Bushnell 3-12x44 Elite LRHS! I just so happen to be selling one.

Personally I don't want a heavy scope on a short AR. Think about the compact and lightweight theme of a carbine like you have. I replaced a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 with that LRHS and wouldn't go back.

I bought that shv f1 with free kestrel, and it was a steal... Hope you clicked "purchase". On another note, i have a gen 1 razor 5-20 and now my shv f1 arrived. To my eyes the glass is very equal, i do really like the reticle in the f1. I learned quickly after purchasing my vortex, i didn't really used the Christmas tree reticle because i dial for elevation and hold for wind. I would also agree with others that taking a class would be extremely beneficial. You wont "teach" yourself any bad habits this way. Good luck. Hope you got that deal on the NF you wont see anything like that again IMO.