• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SHV v NXS?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    How does the SHV line compete to the NXS in terms of durability, glass and tracking?

Maybe all SHV's aren't created equal but the one I had the turret settings were very mushy feeling with less clicks per turn. It did track fine though. The one I had didn't have zero stop or illumination. The glass in the SHV is a little less clear at higher magnification.

Reactions: deersniper
    I have 2 nxs scopes and they are rock solid the shv are good but its like asking do you want a honda civic or an f150 both will get the job done but one is made for a little more harder use

I only have the SHV but I’m really impressed with it for the money. Glass is great, turrets, tracking etc. mil-r reticle is nice I like it simple. At 1k I can see my hits/misses no problem. Have it mounted on a 6.5 Creedmoor rpr and about to put another on a .308

I have 2 nxs scopes and they are rock solid the shv are good but its like asking do you want a honda civic or an f150 both will get the job done but one is made for a little more harder use
    Are they water proof to a deeper depth? Able to stand more recoil cycles ? They are both NF 30mm scopes. The SHVs are newer and from what I understand have as good or better glass.

Neither are mil spec glued together scopes.

From where I stand the SHV is the way to go if the tracking and durability is there. And you are on a budget.
    I have NXS, NX8, and ATACRs but I like FFP and it gets expensive to put the high end stuff on guns you don't shoot much. I do have a 4-14f1 coming.

Are they water proof to a deeper depth? Able to stand more recoil cycles ? They are both NF 30mm scopes. The SHVs are newer and from what I understand have as good or better glass.

Neither are mil spec glued together scopes.

From where I stand the SHV is the way to go if the tracking and durability is there. And you are on a budget.
    I have NXS, NX8, and ATACRs but I like FFP and it gets expensive to put the high end stuff on guns you don't shoot much. I do have a 4-14f1 coming.
    I haven thrown my rife in a lake to test the water proofness but tracking is spot on. The glass is very good i am easily able to spot a 55g 223 imact at 700 yards. Ya the problem with quality is its expensive i get that personally i dont need or want ffp i prefer the finer reticle but thats just me
    From what i under stand nxs are extreamly durable i have run one on a 338 lapua for years and it hasnt failed me
    If your leaning towards the shv go for it i dought you will be disapointed and if it matters to you it is a little lighter than the nxs and not as expensive too

The SHV F1 is an easy decision for the money. Damn good scope and the glass isn’t far off from my ATACR’s.

SHV glass = NXS glass. I can’t tell the difference.

NXS glass is disappointing for the price.

NXS turrets have better “clicks”

SHV 4-14x has a less forgiving eye box

SHV has capped turrets (usually)

SHV has slightly mushy dials but they’re tight

SHV made in Japan, NXS made in USA (usually)

NXS = more options for reticles, magnification, turrets, and focal plane

edit to add: I wouldn’t hesitate at all to buy SHV. You get a lot of bang for the buck.

I felt that the NXS line is stronger and more durable than the SVH. I know glass clarity can vary depending on people’s eyes. But, I was not that impressed with the SVH glass. Nothing wrong with it. Just looked darker during sunset compared to other Vortex and NF scopes I had at the time. The NXS line does have some nicer features like locking eye piece and better turrets and more reticle choices. I just wish there were more FFP options in the NXS line.