• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SiCo Scythe review

Supersubes

Heathen
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 6, 2006
    Eastern Sierra
    This seemed like an interesting suppressor for the hunting and general purpose folks, so I thought id try one out for the good of the forum. This is not an exhaustive review, just some show and tell. I have no affiliation with SiCo, but I am a SOT and purchased this from Allen Arms at the dealer price.

I like light/short cans for hunting, and own a pair of Ultra 5’s for the purpose. Always been happy with them, and they do really well on medium length barrels(20”-22”). The Scythe should be a fair bit quieter, for only a small weight and length penalty.

The Scythe is a 100% titanium can which is 6.16” long, 1.76” in diameter, and weighs 7.3 oz (more on that). Its 300 Rum rated with no barrel restrictions. Thats pretty stout, and after a quick perusal of the web, there are other rum rated small ti cans, but none without barrel restrictions. It comes with a direct thread mount and a single baffle brake. It also includes the bravo tool, a spanner tool, and something they're calling the radial tool.

The Scythe looks very well made. All of the machined surfaces are perfectly finished, including the threads. The laser welds are perfect. There is a slight color variation across the can surface (see below). The advertised weight of 7.3 oz doesn’t include the DT mount. On my scale, the complete can weighed 8.3 oz, with the DT mount weighing 1 oz by itself. Definitely on the light end for Ti cans, but 7.3 oz with the mount would have been awesome. My firing tests used a Ti Area 419 suppressor adapter on their standard steel universal-adapter, which weighs 8.5 oz total.

IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg

Weight with DT adapter and brake.
    IMG_0284.jpeg

Complete weight with the Ti Area 419 suppressor adapter and steel universal adapter.
    IMG_0294.jpeg

Ultra 5 Gen 2 6.5 with the 30 CB mount for comparison.
    IMG_0303.jpeg

I cut a muzzle thread in the lathe and took the opportunity to check the straightness with the included DT mount. Measuring from just inside the end cap bore(not the brake baffle), total indicated runout was just under .0035”. This is very good, and basically what you’ll find from Thunder Beast cans.

I didn't go crazy with the the firing portion. I used a U7 Gen 2 30 as the baseline since its zeroed on my 6cm. Two three shot groups with each can on steel at 525 yards, dialed for elevation with no adjustment or holding for wind. Cans were swapped between each group. It was a calm day but the first two groups were affected by some left to right breeze. Very small test, but there doesn't appear to be any meaningful degradation of accuracy or shift as compared to the U7. If you're wondering, both cans shot one .5 moa group and one .3 moa group.

IMG_0720.jpeg

First group fired, largest of the test, U7 30.
    IMG_0879.jpeg

There’s a downloadable manual on the website which makes mention of a radial tool. It doesnt show a picture, or talk about its use, but it must be this thing. This would allow for tightening the can onto your mount of choice. I like the idea of a soft vice insert for the purpose, but this works too and doesn't require a vice.
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg

Regarding sound, I cant tell the difference between the Scythe and the U7. There’s just nothing between them to my ear. I didn't shoot it next to the U5 gen 2, but no doubt the Scythe is quieter. I wasn't able to shoot it on a 30 cal magnum, but I seriously doubt its the quietest 300 wm can SiCo has tested. Seems like a weird claim that could only be possible if they've never tested any medium to large cans that are known to work well on magnums. The Scythe would be a good choice on a 30 cal or other magnum hunting gun though, that I have no doubt.

I hated the anchor brake that the omega 300 came with, and I removed them and replaced with the Hansohn bros flat and caps. The Scythe brake doesn’t seem to add noise, but as best I could tell, didn’t reduce recoil with a Creedmoor sized case either. Speaking of the Hansohn flat end caps, the Scythe accepts the Omega version. The Omega 300 gets quieter with these caps, but the Scythe didn’t seem to be affected.

Hansohn end cap with no mount.
    IMG_0292.jpeg

SiCo’s first attempt into the Ti can segment seems to be a good one. While I was playing with this one I kept thinking how expensive it was at $1174 MSRP. The configuration I was shooting it in using Area 419 Ti adapter adds about $180. I kept thinking the Diligent Enticer S, or Otter Creek Hydrogen S or K would be the better buys, with almost no tradeoffs. I just checked this morning though, and it appears that the MAP pricing for the Scythe is $996, so that makes it a little more reasonable. Still puts Otter Creek and Diligent one to two hundred bucks cheaper.

I bought this one through Allen Arms (dealer only distributor), and they had a bunch in stock. They're a big outfit so your dealer may have access to them. I’ve no affiliation with Allen Arms other than they’re my go-to for purchases. Captiol Armory has them in stock for MAP price at the moment. Silencershop shows them for the MAP price, but none in stock.

Im sure I missed something so fire away with any questions.

Last edited:
    Love the review thanks for doing it. (Especially checking runout!) Been looking at this can for a little bit. Compared to ultra 7, how does it do for recoil reduction?

Seems if all else is the same between those two cans, if one reduced more recoil that would be the deciding factor for me.

Love the review thanks for doing it. (Especially checking runout!) Been looking at this can for a little bit. Compared to ultra 7, how does it do for recoil reduction?

Seems if all else is the same between those two cans, if one reduced more recoil that would be the deciding factor for me.
    I looked into it to include measuring free-recoil movement across the shooting bench. Thats not a very sensitive method, and was inconclusive. I cant feel any real difference while shooting each of them. Perhaps a magnum cartridge would show more.

Reactions: Luckyshot
    While the reply is much appreciated, it doesn't change the fact that a few of us continue to tinker with the product to get it to work (level, tape shims, calibration, whatever, etc.). Myself and a few others who use the V4 have overthrows that never existed on the V3. The issue is the small tube causes kernels to clump and then suddenly drop with slow trickling. This is not ideal. I regularly have 20 perfect throws followed by a few throws that are over by 0.5+ grains, for example. The speed of the V3 is significantly faster than the V4. I can post a video to demonstrate this easily.

I mean, a previous poster demonstrated developing a tip to prevent this issue. So, yes, the issue still exists and persists. I know many local shooters that have similar issues with no solution other than increasing tilt, though it appears to be a temporary one.

I am no stranger to your units and have used them for years. Not stirring any trouble, just giving some honest feedback.

View attachment 7799863

In external dimensions, yes. The dominus is $330 more expensive, a little over two ounces heavier, full auto rated, and has limited mount flexibility. I dont think these occupy the same market space.

How is its mount flexibility limited? It is available in HUB.

I've thought about buying one of these for the last 6 weeks. I already own a Dominus, U7, and U5. I just can't justify spending $1K for a hunting suppressor that is (within fractions) the same size, diameter, and an ounce lighter. Now, if I just want another hunting suppressor so I don't have to swap cans then it may be worth it. But then this weekend I was checking out suppressors on Primary Arms website with their 13% discount and a Enticer-s is less than $400. An S-Ti is less than $600. 1.6" x 6.25". 9 oz. Fractions of a difference.

Reactions: wind gypsy
    I've thought about buying one of these for the last 6 weeks. I already own a Dominus, U7, and U5. I just can't justify spending $1K for a hunting suppressor that is (within fractions) the same size, diameter, and an ounce lighter. Now, if I just want another hunting suppressor so I don't have to swap cans then it may be worth it. But then this weekend I was checking out suppressors on Primary Arms website with their 13% discount and a Enticer-s is less than $400. An S-Ti is less than $600. 1.6" x 6.25". 9 oz. Fractions of a difference.
    Yep, big fan of the S ti.

Arent a few on that list present in the data they posted a few months back?
    Yeah. Obviously not the Scythe. The videos Ray does shooting them back-to-back are pretty cool tho. And I don't think they've done a litghtweight hunting suppressor shoot off yet. Same host, same ammo, same day.

Reactions: YotaEer
    I won one of these at the PRS Finale, hoping to get it soon and try it out. I did shoot it on their 6.5CM on Friday there and it seemed to have a great sound.

Thanks for the review. You've got all the suppressors Im interested in! Specifically to be used on a light weight hunting rifle with a low mounted scope. Can you speak to the difference looking through the scope between the 1.5" diameter TBAC cans and the larger 1.7" Scythe? How much FOV is being taken up at the lower mag range?

Thanks for the review. You've got all the suppressors Im interested in! Specifically to be used on a light weight hunting rifle with a low mounted scope. Can you speak to the difference looking through the scope between the 1.5" diameter TBAC cans and the larger 1.7" Scythe? How much FOV is being taken up at the lower mag range?
    It would depend on the barrel length of your rifle and the low end magnification of your scope. Its not something ever been bothered by.

Thanks, in this case it would be going on a 18-20" barrel with a 3-9x33 Leupold.
    I just finished hunting this weekend with a 16" 300BO AR that was wearing a 1.7" x 7.5" can with one of those Cole TAC suppressor covers that adds like 3/4" diameter to the can. You can see the suppressor in your 6:00 field of view when you dialed the scope down to 1x and 2x but it still wasn't in the way.

Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about it. It's never been an issue on any gun/ scope, suppressor combo that I've used.

Can anyone answer how much length is added from the muzzle with the direct thread mounts installed? This can seems like it could be the right answer for a compact bolt build I’m planning.

Can anyone answer how much length is added from the muzzle with the direct thread mounts installed? This can seems like it could be the right answer for a compact bolt build I’m planning.
    All my threads are 5/8" long so overall added length would be around 5.5 inches assuming it fits flush

The direct thread adapter looks to be flush and thus does not add length.

@Supersubes can you help me with a measurement of tube length not including the brake. I ordered a mirage cover and they need that dimension. I've read 5.8", maybe 5.7" would be a safe dimension to provide?

@Supersubes can you help me with a measurement of tube length not including the brake. I ordered a mirage cover and they need that dimension. I've read 5.8", maybe 5.7" would be a safe dimension to provide?
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg

I use Cole-Tac covers and order them 1/2” short. So in this case 5.25”. Cole-Tac says order 1/4” shorter for the Python cover they sell.

Edit: the caliper pic is just the tube length, I installed the DT adapter after. So 5.8” is about dead on if you include it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wind gypsy