• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Side by side pic of NXS vs PST

hewlett260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
California (Hell)
I have finally decided what scope I will be picking up for my Howa sometime next year which is going to be a 6-24 Vortex PST. I have a Nightforce on my AI AW so I am trying to see what the size difference is between the two. If you have both I would like to see them just to figure out what I'm working with. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Side by side pic of NXS vs PST

All I can say is that since you are use to a Nightforce the Vortex is going to be inferior to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Jano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is that since you are use to a Nightforce the Vortex is going to be inferior to you. </div></div>

Ditto, not even on the same planet. My Nightforce scopes are much brighter and have superior resolution that my Vortex PST scopes and I'm sure the Nightforce scopes are more robust than the Vortex. . But that is to be expected when the price difference is $1K +. You get what you pay for. I think a much fairer comparison would be with the Vortex Razor line.

Yeah but he save $1K gets all the features only slightly down grades. If he wants to spend $2K he can get a Razor and be in front of a NXS.

A new NF 15x or 22x can be had without ZS new for under 1580 so I'd just save couple hundred more and get the NF myself. I love both of mine.

If he owns a Nightforce and a AI AW . I'm sure he understands that a PST/Howa is not in the same league. But you don't need a AI AW/ Nightforce for everything you do. I have put together alot of "budget precision" just for fun guns and I get just as much enjoyment hitting with those as anythingelse.

I have one Nightforce NSX. Because of the cost it is the only one. I too am looking at the Vortex line and think it is what I will get next. Shooting with what you can afford is better than not shooting at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csdilligaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have one Nightforce NSX. Because of the cost it is the only one. I too am looking at the Vortex line and think it is what I will get next. Shooting with what you can afford is better than not shooting at all.</div></div>

Amen

I have owned a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS, and now I own a Vortex 6-24x50 PST. I can honestly say that I am overall happier with my Vortex, than I was with my Nightforce.

Honestly, the glass (to my eyes) definitely wasn't clearer in my NXS over my PST. MIL/MIL vs. MIL/MOA, definitely WAY in favor of my PST. Turret function, audible clicks, firmness, goes to Vortex. Features, goes to Vortex. Complete and total 100% no questions asked warranty, goes to Vortex. The price of the scope being $700.00 cheaper, goes to Vortex. Overall "sexiness" of the scopes, about the same. And yes, that is important!! LOL

DK

If you can only afford one NF and are adding a Vortex, figure take that $1000 from the Vortex and the $1500 you could get for the NF and sell it...buy a used S&B and use on both rifles. Its what I've done and I'm much happier. YMMV

Hey guys, thank you to the replies. As for why I'm doing the Vortex, it's not meant to compete with my AW. The Howa is more for me to get my wife into shooting since she was never that big on it. The AW is my "Dream Rifle" or in other words, "The one I was allowed to go all out on" without the wife getting pissed. Now however(one child later) money is becoming an issue again.

My wife understands this: AW + NXS = high end "dream rifle".

Remington + custom work(GAP or SAC) + another NXS = high end custom alternative to AW.

Howa + PST = Wife & sons budget precision.

I'm mainly just interested to see the scopes side by side on somebody's rigs to SEE how they compare in external dimensions. I know the glass is not the same quality and 'If' I wasn't on a budget would just be getting another HS ZS mil/mil Nightforce.

I have looked up the spec pages on the PST, but it's hard to picture it without any visual reference if you know what I mean. Thanks again.