• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidewinder vs APAs bastards

OH58DViper

Resumé- have Apache, lacks conscience, will travel
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Have a couple proof barrels on the way for my AXMC and need a couple new brakes. I have always used the LB on my 6&6.5’s and FB’s on my 30’s and up. Anyone try the 338 Sidewinder Magnum brake yet? And if so how does it compare with recoil reduction of a Gen 2 Fat Bastard?

I like the pva brakes better than the two you have mentioned. I have 2 mad scientist and 1 jet blast.

Yes, I have tried the SW 338. By far the best brake you can buy.

Went Sidewinder, I had a FB on the steel barrel so I figured I’d try something else. If I don’t like it I’ll just replace it. I have it in hand though and it seems tits!

Area 419 Sidewinders cannot be beat!

I have an APA Gen 2, it performs quite well.

I wish the bulky lock nut was a low profile knurled nut, I use a strap wrench to tighten it anyway. It'd look a lot more sleek against my Rem varmint contour barrel. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Area 419 if the performance is equal or better than the APA.

+1 on the Sidewinder by AREA419. Run it on my 300 winmag, and it is wonderful for recoil management. No issues thus far.

APA is a great brake and works very well. The 419 brake is nice because there are adapters for cans and its easier to time up the brake. I ether run a can or brake, I don’t switch between the two so the 419 feature is of no value to me. The rearward port design work better than straight to the side design IMO

I’ve got a apa f.b., and a ar30 armalite brake, the armalite is better in recoil and blast deflection, is the pva real good about recoil and blast deflection, I really don’t honk much of my apa to be honest. This is on a pair of 338 Lapua s, I shoot phone off bipod and apa is terrible

I have an Area 419 brake on my .260 rem and can shoot on 35x with my NF 7-35 and spot my own shots no problem. That really amazed me.

Another vote for Area419. I've got five of them on various rifles and they're extremely high quality. Also, their suppressor adapters are really good.

Resuscitating this thread I found in my search for clear tests results and unbiased opins.

What's the verdict? I'm torn between the Area 419 Sidewinder and the Fat Bastard Gen 3.

This guy might be a contender too https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/testing-videos

And where can I get them cheaper than MSR?

6E60524E-263F-4EE1-A622-0E49821D099B.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
I have a Fat Bastard Gen 2, a Fat Bastard Gen 3, and a Sidewinder. TBH it's a toss-up between them. They're all great brakes and perform close enough that I wouldn't pick one over the others based on that alone. Now for looks, the Fat Bastard Gen 2 looks a little too.... nozzle-like... for me (once you see it, you can't un-see it type of deal) But it was available when I needed it and I haven't replaced it.

Ok, liking the sounds of the Gen 3 reviewed here. https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/09/29/new-apa-gen-iii-little-bastard-muzzle-brakes/
It may be more brake than I'll ever need (or even grow into) but for the idea I can! The only reason I hesitate now is I might not want to risk this: (in the smart words of one commenter)

"I worry that the ports will introduce just one more thing to adjust that actually may hurt by covering up a symptom of a particular shooter’s poor technique..."

Oh, and I'll be shooting 300 prc, with Hornady 225 gr Atip and 250 gr. bullets
Thanks.

I've got both a FB and LB Gen 3 and I leave all of the ports plugged on both. When I was originally picking them out I thought it'd be nice to have the adjustability and honestly never found the need. But like you said, with a correctly set up gun and good recoil management/fundamentals, you don't really need them.

I shot a gen 3 on a 6 GT for a bit.. I couldn't imagine the punishment you would take with a 300 PRC.
have a look at the Insite arms Heathen 4 or 5 port.. work great and dont rattle your teeth

I shot a gen 3 on a 6 GT for a bit.. I couldn't imagine the punishment you would take with a 300 PRC.
have a look at the Insite arms Heathen 4 or 5 port.. work great and dont rattle your teeth
Teeth being important, I'd like to keep mine from rattling their sockets. Thanks... Will check it out.

Teeth being important, I'd like to keep mine from rattling their sockets. Thanks... Will check it out.
My sidewinder is on a 7 saum.
At the shooter it’s pretty reasonable.
Anywhere else it definitely gets your attention, I was kinda surprised when a friend shot my rifle.

I have a Heathen on a 260, it’s really nice to shoot And not bad to be around.

I have a sidewinder on a 6 creed it works well and isn’t teeth jarring. I have heard a few gen 3 little bastards and they seemed really loud but I wasn’t shooting the rifle so it may not be as bad when your shooting it but I also have a mpa 4 port brake and it’s terribly loud to the shooter

Another brake that I have been very happy with is the Ultradyne Apollo brake. Can be found around $90, self timing- and made in the US. I only have the one for 6.5 right now.... but I'm getting a .30 for a future 300 rum build.