• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

siera 69gr 223 load

Re: siera 69gr 223 load

My 20" RRA 8 twist does not like AA2520 at all with either the 69 or 77smk.
BL-C2 and varget have gave me the best groups at 100yds with the 77.

I tried the load stated on pg 1 about varget and the 69SMK.

I loaded 5 each of 25.0 to 25.5 in .01 increments, ramdom brass, CCI 400 primers.
Chrono battery was dead when I got it all set up, so no vel data.

25.2 grouped under 1/2" at 100. 25.0 and 25.3 were under 3/4" at 100.

When I get some time I'll get back with another batch and my chrono and get some better data.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1/9" bbl will stabilize the 69's just fine. </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25 grns of A2520 shoots under .250 out of my Rock River with a 69 grn Sierra. </div></div>
RRA Predator Pursuit 8 twist 20'' barrel.

I have found that my AR with a 16" 1:9 Colt Match barrel seems to really like the 69-gr SMK seated at magazine length with 25.5 grains of Varget. My target load.

Varget accuracy load VS 2520 pet load. so ive never used varget before and had to borrow some for this test. on the left my pet load 24.3 grains of Accurate 2520 on the right Varget. 3 shot group out of savage 12 bvss in 223 1 in 9 twist. That accuracy load just cant be a fluke it worked for me

IMG_0006.jpg

Ignore center shots / 300yd test for 55 gr load with sighter bottom left.
these are my test loads for 69gr smk and varget

[img ]http://www.flickr.com/photos/r1rn04/6356219611/]
6356219611_e956bab99a_z.jpg
[/url]
2011-11-16 11.58.50 (2) by r1rn04, on Flickr[/img]

more smk 69grn varget
Im going to re shoot the 24grn load, and sierras accuracy load with cci br4 primers just to see. also going to try the R15 accuracy load.

[img ]http://www.flickr.com/photos/r1rn04/6356145599/]
6356145599_b2902b881f.jpg
[/url]
trgt69gr1 by r1rn04, on Flickr[/img]

ok maybe this is just a shot in the dark, Im pretty sure I need a chrony. if my barrel is a 1 in x twist and we shoot the same bullet at the aprox same velocity out of the same length barrel, isnt it reasonable to expect the accuracy would be about the same? thats without taking into consideration shooter, and environmental conditions. or am I wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZombieSlayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok maybe this is just a shot in the dark, Im pretty sure I need a chrony. if my barrel is a 1 in x twist and we shoot the same bullet at the aprox same velocity out of the same length barrel, isnt it reasonable to expect the accuracy would be about the same? thats without taking into consideration shooter, and environmental conditions. or am I wrong? </div></div>

Not really, some barrels shoot better than others even with the same specs.

nice group, Opening day for rifle season is here , so load development will have to wait a couple of weeks, have a bunch ready to go now just need trigger time, sking santa for a chrony this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Initial load development for my SPS with 22.6gns of IMR-4895 and a CCI BR-4. It has grouped better than this, but I didn't snap a pic. 22.9gns is almost as good.

IMG_04541-1.jpg
</div></div>
You should be able to go higher without any issues, try the 24.1g area if you're interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will build a few in that neighborhood. I am running these in LC brass, and getting about 2625fps. I will try working up with different brass, as I have plenty of Winchester to load in as well. </div></div>
Yes Winchester brass....I should have mentioned that.
smile.gif

OK I ordered a chrony, now how do I use it to get an accurate load? Am I trying to copy the load data Velocity? I understand ES and SD, I think. what is considered acceptable ES, the more es you get the wilder the load right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZombieSlayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I ordered a chrony, now how do I use it to get an accurate load? Am I trying to copy the load data Velocity? I understand ES and SD, I think. what is considered acceptable ES, the more es you get the wilder the load right? </div></div>
ES = the difference from your lowest velocity round to the highest velocity round.
SD = The difference from your average velocity each round will likely to be equal to or under.

SD of 25 fps or less for all practical use and you're fine, but don't get too picky (other will chime in I'm sure) as for short distances of 300-400 yards you will see vertical stringing (groups taller than they are wider). This is caused by greater ES...everything else being perfect that is.

Go here http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ and read up on another approach to load development...guaranteed 33rds and you're done.
smile.gif

I've been loading by his method for going on 8 years and it has never failed me.

69gr mk with 24gr benchmark out of rra upper and lower with dpms 18in mini sass 2850fps 1/2moa at 100 hitting 8in plate at 600 all day.
loading 77gr mk with 23.5 benchmark now for a little more kick on plate at 600yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZombieSlayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok maybe this is just a shot in the dark, Im pretty sure I need a chrony. if my barrel is a 1 in x twist and we shoot the same bullet at the aprox same velocity out of the same length barrel, isnt it reasonable to expect the accuracy would be about the same? thats without taking into consideration shooter, and environmental conditions. or am I wrong? </div></div>

Not really, some barrels shoot better than others even with the same specs. </div></div>

They might be a "little" different, but for the most part, they should be pretty much the same, I would think. I guess it all depends on your level of acceptable accuracy.

ok gents, going out tomorrow to try the new load (25.5grs R15, 69 smk and cci br4 primers). that is if the weather holds 8)

+2

A 69 gr SMK shoots well in a 1/9". I started shooting NRA Service Rifle with a stock Colt 1/9" HBAR upper. The only load I shot at 200 and 300 was the 69 gr SMK, I even got pretty good results from the 75gr Hornady BTHP.

got to ring some steel this past weekend , windy and cold 20's. wind was 5-10+ ranged using mildot ( need way more practice with that) approx 525yds. the 69grn pill just dosent like the wind, but much better than the 55. didnt shoot for any groups at 100. just alot of fun burning powder.

RRA Varmint Upper w/9 twist w/RRA Two-Stage NM trigger
Sand Bag Benched at 100 yds
Cheap WalMart Centerpoint 4-16x40 glass

69g SMK's
25.5g w748
WSR
once fired LC04 brass(trimmed w/flash hole deburred)
Loaded progressively on LNL AP

AR-15RRAVarmentLarge.jpg

everyone is posting some great groups, I think the 69 with r15 at 25.5 is going to be real good. shot steel at 500 this past Saturday and best group was 4" with 5 shots and 3.25 with a three shot group. forgot my phone so no pics. had one really ugly group with about 5.5 of vertical string ( Im thinking that was something I did wrong ) Later and good shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC0331</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i use 25gr varget with 69's </div></div>

same here
</div></div>

same here