• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra 175gr Match King vs. Hornady 178gr A-Max

PanaDP

Private
Minuteman
Good afternoon, all.

I'm starting to develop a load for a new rifle. It's a rem700 action .308, 20" barrel with a 1:12" twist rate.

It seems to me that either of these bullets, sierra's 175gr match king and hornady's 178gr a-max, should be excellent in this rifle. They are nearly identical.

I am leaning toward the 178gr A-max because it is suited better to hunting and would allow me to make and get comfortable with one load for hunting and long-range targets rather than two.

Any reason the A-max bullet shouldn't be the main test subject? Anything that would make it inferior to the match king as far as target shooting or varmint shooting would go?

Re: Sierra 175gr Match King vs. Hornady 178gr A-Max

+1 for Amax together with Varget you can go wrong.

Id run the AMAXs simply for the reasons you cited. Great bullet. Enjoy.

43.5 varget, win brass, cci primer 178 amax 2.8 works great in my remington LTR. Velocity isn't that high but accuracy was excellent.

Amax are usually cheaper than SMK too
smile.gif

I don't think you can go wrong either way but I also shoot the Amax. I use 168's with 45.0 of Varget because I was told to by someone who has a couple of world records.

I used to shoot SMK's but was going for some training and the guy told me that they get great results with the Amax's out to 1200+ in a 308. So I loaded up 400 of them and went to see him and he had me ringing steel out at 1180 so I never looked back.

Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headgear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 168's with 45.0 of Varget because I was told to by someone who has a couple of world records. </div></div>

What brass?

I'm at 42.8gr Varget, LC Match brass, CCI 200. Velocity = M118LR.

Use the Amax. They perform identically and they're 6-8 bucks cheaper per box than the Sierra's.

I also just started load development for an AAC-SD which is the 20 in tube with 1:10 twist. I am still a newbie to reloading but have read a ton of info here and other places. I loaded up my first 18 rounds a couple days ago and shot them. I used 178 A-max and Varget. I loaded 5 rounds with 41 gr, 5 rounds with 41.5 and 5 rounds with 42.0. I seated all rounds .01 off the lands...going with the CDI bottom metal soon! I know these charges are on the low side but had to start somewhere. I will be increasing the charge up to 45 gr next reloading session.

The 18 rounds I reloaded all shot very well...at 100 yards that is. All 5 shot groups where sub moa. 42.0 performed the best, all shots thru same hole exept one which touched the other 4 shots...that was me.

I will follow up more when I get back to the range.

Thanks guys, glad I won't be the only one. I kept seeing "sierra match king" this and that and kind of wondered if there was a good reason that there's very little mention of other bullets for long range work.

Nebrask123, 45 grains is to hot of a load if you are shooting that rifle supressed! You will be popping primers, getting a very sticky bolt, and ruining your brass. That is to much powder for 178's. I would not go much higher than where you are now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebrask123, 45 grains is to hot of a load if you are shooting that rifle supressed! You will be popping primers, getting a very sticky bolt, and ruining your brass. That is to much powder for 178's. I would not go much higher than where you are now.</div></div> 43.5 gr varget seems to be just about right with the 178's in a 20" 1:10 for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm at 42.8gr Varget, LC Match brass, CCI 200. Velocity = M118LR. </div></div>

I also use LC Match brass, 41.5 Varget 175 SMK, WLR Velocity is 2715 FPS. I seat mine from the Ogive 2.202

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brass?</div></div>

Lapua.

Yeah, I am not shooting the gun suppressed and agree 45 gr varget is too much for the 178 grain bullets. I will work up to 43.5 gr and see where that takes me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I am not shooting the gun suppressed and agree 45 gr varget is too much for the 178 grain bullets. I will work up to 43.5 gr and see where that takes me. </div></div>

Don't worry about a 45 grain powder charge. 45 is hot and about all the powder you want behind a 178 AMAX but it will work. I know I tested that load and found 44 to work better for me. But I wouldn't be scared to try it if I were you.

45 grains of Varget behind a 178 would be ok with maybe winchester or lapua brass during the colder months but, in the summer months when it hits 100 degrees or so you will have over pressure issues. 44 grains is about max safe load for year round shooting. If you are shooting during the summer I would try and keep my rounds sitting in the shade and not direct sun. Just speaking from personal experience.

my hornady bullet of choice is the 30715 AMP 178 grain bullet.

I have had excellent performance with 43.8 grains of varget at 2.810 (at least in my bolt gun)

It locks up my ar10

Mate you hit the nail on the head. The Amax flat out destroys game where the occasional 175SMK just passes right thru.

If your smashing into heavy bone they all work, otherwise the Amax will give better results even on soft tissue.

I've never used Amax bullets but was considering trying them just based on reports I'd seen. I just Googled them and found plenty of threads saying NOT to use them for hunting. Even Hornady says not to. It may be like the Lapua Scenars. The traditional wisdom says they're not designed for hunting, but I've seen plenty of stories about them taking big game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 grains of Varget behind a 178 would be ok with maybe winchester or lapua brass during the colder months but, in the summer months when it hits 100 degrees or so you will have over pressure issues. 44 grains is about max safe load for year round shooting. If you are shooting during the summer I would try and keep my rounds sitting in the shade and not direct sun. Just speaking from personal experience. </div></div>

I have to agree with this. I loaded 43.5grn varget in Win case under a 178Amax and I was starting to see slight pressure signs. Nothing major but it's starting. Winter might be ok...I would be careful in the summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gruntbull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm at 42.8gr Varget, LC Match brass, CCI 200. Velocity = M118LR. </div></div>

I also use LC Match brass, 41.5 Varget 175 SMK, WLR Velocity is 2715 FPS. I seat mine from the Ogive 2.202 </div></div>

My load can be duplicated in WIN brass with 44.0gr Varget, everything else the same

i get same ballistic out to 600 yds with the 174 SMK and the 178 both loaded in win brass and 44 gr varget.

I load 178gn amaxs with 45gn of 2208/varget for my 308 and have used it to take fallow, red and sambar deer, and also punched pigs without any problems out to 600 yards and they work awesome and seem to stabilize better at longer ranges I'm getting 4" groups at 500yd with them the only problem is that they are suited to a 1-12 twist so you may not stabalize them properly if I were you I'd lean towards the 168gn amax which is suited to 1-12 twist to be safe

I am running the 178gr amax in my lmt mws with 44gr of varget. Shoots great to 675yds which is the furthest I have tested it, and brass isn't showing crazy pressure signs, even through august.

Out of my 16" .308 ar barrel I'm getting 2460fps. I chose the amax simply because it shoots just as well as the SMK, but is a hair cheaper. However, when my suppressor arrives I'll be backing the charge done a hair to be sure everything is safe.

Recent fired brass:
100_2212.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am running the 178gr amax in my lmt mws with 44gr of varget. Shoots great to 675yds which is the furthest I have tested it, and brass isn't showing crazy pressure signs, even through august.

Out of my 16" .308 ar barrel I'm getting 2460fps. I chose the amax simply because it shoots just as well as the SMK, but is a hair cheaper. However, when my suppressor arrives I'll be backing the charge done a hair to be sure everything is safe.

Recent fired brass:
100_2212.jpg
</div></div>

Those look pretty fucking flat to me, man.

So I guess after reading this post, the go to round will be the Hornady? Seeing as how Zombies are coming out of every where, you need something that expands and the Sierra's dont do that. Is this a fair assumption?

I load 178 gr amax with 42.6 gr Varget, fed 210, win brass, OAL 2.835" 10 th off the lands and it's very accurate out of my savage 10 24" bbl, MV according to my chronograph is 2580 fps but it matches shooter app at 2625 fps, I loaded them up to 43.6 gr and didn't have signs of pressure but 42.6 gr was the most consistent of all, I even managed to shoot a 3.5" 3 rd group at 840 yds ( accident I guess because I haven't been able to duplicate it the last 3 trips to the pond )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MBC223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebrask123, 45 grains is to hot of a load if you are shooting that rifle supressed! You will be popping primers, getting a very sticky bolt, and ruining your brass. That is to much powder for 178's. I would not go much higher than where you are now<span style="font-weight: bold">.</div></div> 43.5 gr varget seems to be just about right with the 178's in a 20" 1:10 for me. </div></div></span>

This^^^^^^