• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sierra Match HPBT for hunting? Yes

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
I had some concerns about using them for hunting bullets but I loaded some .270 135 gr for a Pronghorn hunt. They shot very well in my stock Browning after I dialed in a load...single hole at 100 and about 2 inches at 300.

Well, I shot an Antelope at about 280 yds with this bullet and it was devastating. Pin-hole in and the exit wound was as big as my fist. The bullet entered the heart as a pin hole and I saw signs of significant expansion exiting. It took bone out in fragments on the far shoulder. It was an absolutely clean kill.

I would not use this bullet on Elk but I think it would certainly work on Deer, even good sized ones.

Re: Sierra Match HPBT for hunting? Yes

I have some pic of a 175SMk that did the fist size thing on the entrance side. you could look through the hole and see the intact heart still beating.

The old stuff never goes away but I will say it

There are much better choices for hunting. SMks are to inconsistent in terminal performance.

I think there is a thread somewhere on this.

The more posts like this I read the more I'm convincing myself to use the MK for hunting this year.

I used the gamekings which are great.. but I bet the SMK is better accuracy wise...

I would not have a problem using them for hunting, I saw a bunch of deer get hammered by them last year. But I would use the bergers first..

Pulled a 168BTHP out of a doe's neck (200yds)lodged in one of her vertibre, did not expand at all just banana shaped. I load expanding bullets for hunting now.

Countdown till someone whines about this being discussed_____ times...5...4....3...2...
Prefer the amax myself accurate and very good expansion..the 190mk i used didnt do anything other than needle...but coming out of my 300RUM on encountering no bone on entry or exit could have something to do with it. (whitetail)

I ran some 168gr MK outa my 308, just shot rabbits with them to see what they would do. Punched holes right through them. Leave em for paper shooting, Just my 2 cents.

Kc

Any time Sierra Matchkings and Hunting are mentioned in the same sentence, total chaos seems to ensue. I'm not sure why that is, but passions nevertheless seem to get inflamed.

Selection of what bullet to use for hunting game is a very subjective and personal choice.

Again, without fostering any criticism of any hunter, how and where you hunt does have some play in the matter. Hunting conditions on the plains of Montana, or Wyoming, are far different than hunting in the dense woods of Maine, or swamp thickets of South Carolina.

If we are talking about deer, they are surprising easy to kill anywhere with any decent shot placement, and notoriously tough to put down with poor hits. And if you hit a deer poorly, it does not matter if you hit it with a SMK or a Barnes TSX. A poor hit is a poor hit.

On the other hand, if you make a shot on a deer that hits the brain, breaks the neck or spine, breaks one or both shoulders, perforates both lungs, it again does not really matter whether you used a SMK, A-Max or Nosler Partition.

What I'm getting at is contrary to popular mythology, it is not a choice between the Indian and the arrow; but where the SOB lands.

Just to show I'm all for full disclosure. I use mostly Sierra Palma match 155 grs or 155 Hornady A-Max's (depending on availability) in my 308's. But I don't use them for hunting. But I do use the same case, power charge, and primer for my hunting loads. I just simply substitute my match bullet for a 150 Grain Nosler Accubond. I feel better when I use a hunting bullet for hunting. But I also don't expect some magic to take place because I do so.

So please use what you like, when you like. Life is too short to worry about the small shit. And who uses what bullet for hunting, is way down my list of things to worry about.

Thanks,

Bob

In my 300WSM I shoot the 155 grain Siera Palma bullet. It is unbelievably accurate in my Savage rifle that I restocked. My farthest deer so far was 450 yards. And the bullet is totally devastating on deer. I have shot 10 deer with this bullet, and all were bang flops. However I must say that I always hold on the shoulder to break the deer down. A deer going even a few feet can be a nightmare for me. Tom.

IMG_0405.jpg