• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sierra matchkings

briarwallace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
pa
i know whatthe box says but can you use sierra match kings to hunt whitetail?? and get a good clean kill...

Re: sierra matchkings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briar wallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i know whatthe box says but can you use sierra match kings to hunt whitetail?? and get a good clean kill... </div></div>

You are bound to get a bunch of answers and mostly negative from those who haven't tried them for this purpose. Steve at stevespages.com has used them for years for hunting and military sniper ammo is loaded with them. They're not what I usually use but I would without a second thought.

As noted above, placement is the key.

A rock at 2700fps will kill a deer too...........

Too many other good options to mess with a match boolet on something I'm going to eat. Most SMK's have a clone of some nature designed for killing stuff.

After observing 1/2 dozen deer shot with them, the terminal effect results are too unpredictable. Some are pencil holes others are grenades. I prefer more consistent and "planned" results.

JMHO, YRMV, etc etc.......

Cheers,

Doc

The only two deer that got away from me wounded (they were harvested by someone else) were shot with SMKs. I am using Nosler Partitions right now because I bought a bunch of them some time ago. But I'm really curious about the Barnes bullets.

I was told that the sierra game king and the sierra mk are the same,one with a soft nose one a hollow point.and if the mk gets something in the hollow point it will pass through rather than expand.I have always loaded a hunt'n bullet and not take a chance.and I make sure it's a well placed shot.John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R milspec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told that the sierra game king and the sierra mk are the same,one with a soft nose one a hollow point. John </div></div>

They do fly very similarly for the first 400 yards, give or take. Then again MOST boolets of the same weight range at similar velocities will do the same. After 400 is where boolet design and type begin to make a difference. If you choose to hunt at the 400+ yard ranges you wou ........... nah, not going there.

Cheers,

Doc

A) I see little value to handloading hunting ammo. The factory stuff works fine, is readily avilable, and there's no load development. It's zero and go.

B)As factory ammo goes, hunting ammo is at least as available, and at least as affordable. So what's the point?

I had said a few other, more critical, things here, but on reflection, I decided they might be excessive.

Buy a box or two of Core-Lokts. You'll be happier in the end.

Greg

165gr. Gameking as stated above would be a good choice. It does fly pretty close to a 168 SMK out to 400. They have predictable expansion that will harvest deer humanly with proper bullet placement.

Greg hasn't bought a goood box of ammo in some time I'm thinking.remington corelokt 18-22 bucks.anything loaded in a better bullet you can x's that by 2 or even more when you own a weatherby,or just think Nosler is better.also working up a load lets you shoot them in the HEAD.and when you find that load just keep 5 or so no need to have more.a man or house hold of 5 want eat no more that 3 deer if thats all they eat.or even mixing up their meat diet.one should only kill to feed his family.not just bone [antlers].__________ I can't eat bone.
John

I am not a deer hunter.

However seeing how well 168gr Amax's shoot, I can't imagine why you wouldn't use a game specific bullet.

Keep the Match Kings for the target range and the battlefield.

Do people actually shoot deer in the head? We absolutely do not shoot moose in the head (just large deer). There heart will continue to pump blood through the body that is full of adrenaline, and it makes the meat nasty. A clean double lung/heart shot will cause the blood to be pumped out of the blood vessels which will minimize the amount of adrenaline that reaches the meat. Carry on

Jeremiah

hey when you shot one in the head you see the dog part don't have to kick in.I likes it when they faaallll in their tracks.also keeps from messing up the rest of the meat.think of it this way when you pull the plug on a running drill it quits right.then when you put a 168g bullet in a deer head it quits also.and when I fix deer to eat I soke it in cold water to drain the blood from it and it want have the richness [ wild taste ]peolpe say the meat has.let me fix some deer and you will think it came from the Pig or any other store.
all so to the post.it's not really what you shot at the deer it's how good you place it.just like another gent said,put a rock at 2700fps and aim it at a deer and watch it die.a good placed bullet of about any kind will put a deer down.I like to hunt with a 223 when deer hunt'n.and all I shoot is a 55 grain nbt.it'll take them out to 200.just work up a good load and put some time in with it and go hunt'n.if you can work up a load that'll shoot in the .2's or .3's then you should be able to drill one in the head.
John

I did a headshot on a doe some years back after I had gotten out of the Army. It was with a .308 168gr Combined Technology (basically a ballistic tip). She was bedded down in the middle of a field about 150yards or so in a small low area, and the only thing I could see was her head. Fearing that if I waited for her to stand, that she would just stand up and run, I took the head shot. It was a light switch on her, bang, whack, dead.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A rock at 2700fps will kill a deer too...........

Too many other good options to mess with a match boolet on something I'm going to eat. Most SMK's have a clone of some nature designed for killing stuff.

After observing 1/2 dozen deer shot with them, the terminal effect results are too unpredictable. Some are pencil holes others are grenades. I prefer more consistent and "planned" results.

JMHO, YRMV, etc etc.......

This Should be a pop up ad that automatically comes up when you log on! It mirrors our findings exactly. Some look like Bow kills others look like well placed C4, with no rhyme or reason.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

I killed a couple of whitetail doe two years ago with 168 SMK's. I normally shoot TSX's and will continue to do so.

About 20 years ago I took a head shot on a doe. It wasn't a square hit, more glancing. She spun in freakin' circles for at least a minute. There was about 6" of fresh snow and it looked like an axe murdering contest had taken place.

Last head shot I have ever tried.

Of course you will get mixed reviews but I can say I have shot whitetails when I lived back east with matchkings. I used a 22-250 back then and shot a whitetail with one shot in the heart/lung area. He was dead instantly. Never had any problems.
LBH

The last 5 deer I have taken have been neck shot. It is a instant kill, no meat loss. I have been hunting with a .300wm with factory loaded Hornady SST. Those bullets are so soft I would be afraid to take a heart or lung shot. Either loose too much meat or blow up and never make it to the vital zone. Last season my shot was 196 yards into the upper neck of a buck. The SST bullet did not exit, blew up compleatly in the neck. Buck went down as if struck by lightning. Using the neck shot, I have never noticed a off taste to the meat. I also do not like tracking a blood trail in the dark.

When I was real young I remember once having to throw out a whole shoudler because the meat was so blood shot and had bullet fragments in it. I think we were using Remington core lockts and winchester power points back then.

This season I will be using my own handloads, using Nosler Accubonds.