• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sierra Pro Hunter 110/115gr 6.8 SPC ammo for hogs?

Pigman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Katy, TX
Hey everyone, my new 6.8 is coming in in a couple of weeks and I need to decide on some ammo to run through it. I'm going to be using it mainly for hogs and maybe deer. I'd like to use Barnes 95 or 110gr TTSX, but it's too expensive($27/box). I found Sierra Pro Hunter 110/115gr on SSA's website for $17/box. I can definitely live with that price but I'm not sure how effective it would be on hogs. I know that shot placement is key, but most of the time we're shooting at packs of 20+ hogs so the first shot will always be a perfect ear shot on a non-moving hog, but after that you can't really place your shots that well when they're running. I'm open to any other suggestions but I'd like to keep it under $20/box. Thanks.

Re: Sierra Pro Hunter 110/115gr 6.8 SPC ammo for hogs?

Dont shoot barnes unless you are REQUIRED to shoot lead-free bullets. Even then, there are other options. Most of CA is lead-free for hunting. Barnes was behind the Lead-ban here, so there are many Ca hunters that boycott them.
They are good bullets, but there are better lead free bullets out there if you like em. Hornady GMX and Nosler E-tips.
Lead still works fine though. Any soft point that shoots well out of your gun will kill pigs.
$17 a box is a great price for those rounds. I'd buy a bunch of them and blast the piggies

I load 100gr Nosler Accubonds in my 6.8. Works great on deer and hogs. Shot 3 hogs last weekend. One between the eyes, one behind the ear, and one running quartering away passthrough. I'd say the Sierra will work fine if you avoid the shoulders.

The TSX should have better penetration but im sure either will work well. My friend uses the 85gr tsx and takes deer with it. I prefer the 110gr though.

I run 95g TTSX handloads
they are just the perfect bullet for deer or hogs

of course, behind the ear with just about anything will drop them

do you care if you retrieve all of them or just trying to thin them out?

The Barnes 95 TTSX shot like shit in my rifle, my go to hunting bullet is the Hornady 120 SST's. They are very effective on deer and inexpesive. They also shoot lights out in my rifle.

I would go with Barnes but they're too expensive. I wanna try to spend at the most $20/box but I'd really prefer to keep it around $15-18/box.

Ccoker - the members on our deer lease are paying me and my cousin $7/tail, maybe more, so we have to drop them. Oh and just so you know, I ended up getting a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 for the 6.8. I was gonna get a Leupold VXR but the price on the Vortex was too good to pass up.

I've shot several hogs with the Pro Hunters with good results.

I now use the 110 Accubonds, seem to be performing better on shots that are taken at less than optimal angles.

Well, traditional softpoints work fine with good shot placement. They have been doing so for a long time...

There is a higher chance they may not make good penetration on a big hog's shoulder should you hit it, especially at close ranges than a monolithic bullet like the Barnes.

So, you MAY lose one every once in a while with a Pro Hunter that you MAY have had better outcome with a Barnes

I would suggest buying a box of Pro Hunters and the Accubonds and see what groups better.

I haven' shot a hog with the 115 OTM but I have been tempted to test.

We eat most of the hogs we shoot but sometimes, like this past weekend, a big boar is just too damned nasty smelling to deal with.... Maybe the next time I come across one like it I will try a 115 OTM Tac Load from SSA into the shoulder and see what happens...

I assume you know a hog's heart is located further forward than a deers and is centered between the shoulders and about a 1/3 of the way up.. I always go for behind the ear and that always drops them in their tracks, last year I got a big boar about 300 lbs with my 6.8 and the 95g TTSX at about 30 yards on the run, I hit the shoulder and it dropped right in it's tracks, bullet went through the heart and exited far side...

hey, wait a minute, they are paying you?
shit, get some of the Wilson Combat 95g TTSX loads and go to town
it's free ammo if you are getting paid