• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns sig 1911 quality

Re: sig 1911 quality

I had one. It was a good shooter, probably the most reliable 1911 I've owned (but I'm not a 1911 aficionado). Beware...a "normal" 1911 holster will NOT work. The shape of the slide on the Sig is more squared at the top requiring it have a holster design all of its own. Oh, and I found out the front sight was loose when the buyer pointed that out when I sold it....that's probably why it shot so good for me!

Current Sig QC sucks, so expecting them to get a design that is notorious for needing hand-fitting correct is like hoping that you'll win the lottery. They can't make their P220/P226 series guns correctly these days, I would definitely pass on their 1911's, as well.

For the money, look at the Colt XSE/Rail guns (new or used) or some of the Springfield Armory TRP/MC Operator series guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Current Sig QC sucks, so expecting them to get a design that is notorious for needing hand-fitting correct is like hoping that you'll win the lottery. They can't make their P220/P226 series guns correctly these days, I would definitely pass on their 1911's, as well.

For the money, look at the Colt XSE/Rail guns (new or used) or some of the Springfield Armory TRP/MC Operator series guns. </div></div>

My SIG 1911 is much better IMO than my Gold Cup or my SA and cost much less. I would recommend SIG over both brands, especially SA which is junk along with Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Current Sig QC sucks, so expecting them to get a design that is notorious for needing hand-fitting correct is like hoping that you'll win the lottery. They can't make their P220/P226 series guns correctly these days, I would definitely pass on their 1911's, as well.

For the money, look at the Colt XSE/Rail guns (new or used) or some of the Springfield Armory TRP/MC Operator series guns. </div></div>

My SIG 1911 is much better IMO than my Gold Cup or my SA and cost much less. I would recommend SIG over both brands, especially SA which is junk along with Kimber.</div></div>

Ok. Virtually every 1911 smith would disagree with you though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Current Sig QC sucks, so expecting them to get a design that is notorious for needing hand-fitting correct is like hoping that you'll win the lottery. They can't make their P220/P226 series guns correctly these days, I would definitely pass on their 1911's, as well.

My SIG 1911 is much better IMO than my Gold Cup or my SA and cost much less. I would recommend SIG over both brands, especially SA which is junk along with Kimber.</div></div>

Ok. Virtually every 1911 smith would disagree with you though. </div></div>

There are only 2 MIM parts in my SIG, the slide stop and disconnector. My Colt has 4 and the SA virtually every small part is MIM and it has never run right from day 1. Everyone will have a different experience with various brands but this is the luck I've had. As far as SA and Kimber go I thought it was pretty much common knowledge these days that their quality is extremely hit or miss. None of the smiths in my neck of the woods recommend either brand (unless they are a dealer for one of them) and scanning various gun forums it is pretty easy to see they have a very high failure rate.

9jgas4.jpg

24pds2b.jpg

I'm not making shit up, I do have 1911s from several makers. Guess which one has the most features, cost the least, and shoots the best? The SIG. ALthough accuracy wise I'd put the Gold Cup right there with it, but it has far less other things going for it and it cost more. I will never buy another Sprinfield Armory pistol. MIM all over the place and it is mostly made in Brazil even though they bought the rights to the Springfield Armory name hoping to cash in off it.

I have the SIG 1911 TAC-OPS One of the most accurate Pistols I have used,Reliable so far,500 rounds threw it.

If I could Find a Mole Holster that would accept the TLR-2 mounted,It would replace My G22 on My TAC rig..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Current Sig QC sucks, so expecting them to get a design that is notorious for needing hand-fitting correct is like hoping that you'll win the lottery. They can't make their P220/P226 series guns correctly these days, I would definitely pass on their 1911's, as well.

Ok. Virtually every 1911 smith would disagree with you though. </div></div>

There are only 2 MIM parts in my SIG, the slide stop and disconnector. My Colt has 4 and the SA virtually every small part is MIM and it has never run right from day 1. Everyone will have a different experience with various brands but this is the luck I've had. As far as SA and Kimber go I thought it was pretty much common knowledge these days that their quality is extremely hit or miss. None of the smiths in my neck of the woods recommend either brand (unless they are a dealer for one of them) and scanning various gun forums it is pretty easy to see they have a very high failure rate.

9jgas4.jpg

24pds2b.jpg

I'm not making shit up, I do have 1911s from several makers. Guess which one has the most features, cost the least, and shoots the best? The SIG. ALthough accuracy wise I'd put the Gold Cup right there with it, but it has far less other things going for it and it cost more. I will never buy another Sprinfield Armory pistol. MIM all over the place and it is mostly made in Brazil even though they bought the rights to the Springfield Armory name hoping to cash in off it.</div></div>

Who is they? What are your references? As far as I know SA builds everything except for some of their frames which are machined by a Brazillian company called Imbel. Not to mention SA QC is high and their customer service is rock solid. You would be hard pressed to find a higher quality, better supported, non-custom 1911. If ANYTHING is wrong with it they will take care of it.

+1 to Jim D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is they? What are your references? As far as I know SA builds everything except for some of their frames which are machined by a Brazillian company called Imbel. Not to mention SA QC is high and their customer service is rock solid. You would be hard pressed to find a higher quality, better supported, non-custom 1911. If ANYTHING is wrong with it they will take care of it.

+1 to Jim D </div></div>

"They" is the current entity known as Springfield Armory. The actual Springfield Armory was closed by the Government in 1968 and a few years later the company that exists today bought the rights to use the name. Their QC can't be that good with the amount of guns they have to perform warranty work on. Looking across the various gun forums it is pretty clear they have more issues than probably anyone but Kimber. I can't count how many "my SA is fucked up but they took care of it" threads I've seen. That sounds like the Leupold business model to me. I don't care how great their customer service is, it better be great if a large % of buyers are having to use it. My SA was the first 1911 (and first pistol period) I ever bought and is the only purchase I've ever regretted. Not only has it always had issues but discovering the foreign produced parts and MIM and to me it looks like a company trying to pass mostly foreign produced low quality stuff off underneath an old American name.

My Blackwater SIg is a TAC driver 100% reliable and its my carry gun. I went to Larry Vicker 1911 Armorer class last summer and the pistol which has never been tweaked by a smith ran flawlessly. A hell of a lot of high dollar big name customs could not make that claim.

As an old Jar Head I like kit that works if it does not I shitcan it like my K...... I plan on shooting my Sig tomorrow at the range

Forgot to comment only negative is finding a holster and I recently got the Garret silent Thunder OWB so in my opinion only issue has been solved

My early (7xxx serial) Sig Revolution is fantastic. Feeds anything, and has been flawless. Has zero MIM parts.

SIGs warranty and service is GREAT! Don't be led to believe Sig won't take care of an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is they? What are your references? As far as I know SA builds everything except for some of their frames which are machined by a Brazillian company called Imbel. Not to mention SA QC is high and their customer service is rock solid. You would be hard pressed to find a higher quality, better supported, non-custom 1911. If ANYTHING is wrong with it they will take care of it.

+1 to Jim D </div></div>

"They" is the current entity known as Springfield Armory. The actual Springfield Armory was closed by the Government in 1968 and a few years later the company that exists today bought the rights to use the name. Their QC can't be that good with the amount of guns they have to perform warranty work on. Looking across the various gun forums it is pretty clear they have more issues than probably anyone but Kimber. I can't count how many "my SA is fucked up but they took care of it" threads I've seen. That sounds like the Leupold business model to me. I don't care how great their customer service is, it better be great if a large % of buyers are having to use it. My SA was the first 1911 (and first pistol period) I ever bought and is the only purchase I've ever regretted. Not only has it always had issues but discovering the foreign produced parts and MIM and to me it looks like a company trying to pass mostly foreign produced low quality stuff off underneath an old American name. </div></div>

First, I've not seen an Imbel receiver that wasn't spec. I've actually been damn impressed. I suspect that if your SA has issues, it's extractor related. I'm merely guessing since you haven't explained what the malf is. I've dealt with a number of SAs over the years and the only issue I've found is extractor tension is sometimes too light or too heavy.

On a side note, MIM parts in and of themselves aren't necessarily bad. The only people I hear bitch about them are 1911 owners, despite the fact that many gun internals these days are in fact produced using MIM. I've never seen a single MIM part failure. Everyone bitches, but rare are the people who have actually had breakages.

Since when does Sig have QC issues? Let's see a link with some info or something?

There is a reason that a ton of LEO's, swat teams, and militaries carry this as their duty pistol.

I'm a 1911 beleiver but my carry gun was a p226r in .357 sig. I never had a single failure ever that was not due to me (I failed to lock the mag in on 2 occasions in 6 years).

Anyone else heard that Sig is having issues? Are they having problems with their new style assault rifles?? I haven't heard about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since when does Sig have QC issues? Let's see a link with some info or something?

There is a reason that a ton of LEO's, swat teams, and militaries carry this as their duty pistol.

I'm a 1911 beleiver but my carry gun was a p226r in .357 sig. I never had a single failure ever that was not due to me (I failed to lock the mag in on 2 occasions in 6 years).

Anyone else heard that Sig is having issues? Are they having problems with their new style assault rifles?? I haven't heard about it. </div></div>

The early Sig 1911s had issues. In some cases, Sig gave customers new pistols. The "in question" models are the pre-8000 serials. Mine is a 7xxx one. I bought it used. Before plunking my cash, I called Sig and was absolutely reassured they would stand behind it 100%.

I know Sig moved operations from West Germany to Exeter NH. Just like rvery other time a company changes something, the quality/goodness factor of the new product is called into question. Us precision rifle folks have JUST seen this occur with Surgeon actions. I have a bunch of Sig friends, and have been around literally dozens of Exeter Sigs, and have yet to see one fail. Sigs are quality, but I am just not a sig pistol guy....the sig 1911 isnt really a "sig pistol".

The one thing that Sig IS totally guilty of however, is coming out with something "new", and then ditching it shortly thereafter and all associated support. Two examples: The Sig trailside 22, and the STR (Sig Target Rifle). Doesn't really give someone the warm fuzzies about buying a product, when the company might just quit "dealing" with that product in a year or two. I think the Sig 1911 is well enough established now though, that it won't happen, but who knows? Luckily, that product is 99% interchangable with classic 1911s, and suppirt for those surely isn't going away. Come to think of it, I oughtta order a spare extractor and extractor spring!

I have owned a sig GSR fullsize for about a year and have shot the hell out of it, mainly hornady xtp 230gr. I have not had any failures except a few shooter errors (limp wristing, mag not fully seated, etc.)

I absolutely love my GSR and recommend it highly to anyone shopping for a 1911 in the $800-$900 price range.

Ern

500 pus rounds last weekend in a class using 50 year old military surplus ball I took in as part of a consignemnt (dirty as hell burning) not a single malfunction. As a note it had several hundred rounds through it before the class since the last cleaning. It feeds everything flawlessly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
First, I've not seen an Imbel receiver that wasn't spec. I've actually been damn impressed. I suspect that if your SA has issues, it's extractor related. I'm merely guessing since you haven't explained what the malf is. I've dealt with a number of SAs over the years and the only issue I've found is extractor tension is sometimes too light or too heavy.

On a side note, MIM parts in and of themselves aren't necessarily bad. The only people I hear bitch about them are 1911 owners, despite the fact that many gun internals these days are in fact produced using MIM. I've never seen a single MIM part failure. Everyone bitches, but rare are the people who have actually had breakages. </div></div>

You've never seen an Imbrel frame out of spec? Take a look at a Taurus PT1911 sometime. Even the front strap is obviously not even close to "spec,"--whatever "spec" means anyway.

Bragging that one's slide stop is MIM and regarding MIM as problematic are both probably not intelligent arguments. The slide stop is basically the most important part in the whole gun, as without it, the barrel would never lock up at all.

MIM is not an issue anyway. The connecting rods in your car are probably made from it.

While almost everything sig builds is complete and utter shit these days, I owned a GSR C3 1911 last year and was actually very pleased with it. Only 1911 I've liked more than it is my Wilson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While almost everything sig builds is complete and utter shit these days. </div></div>

This statement is complete utter shit. I own and have sold a ton of Sigs and nothing leads me to believe their build quality is not on par or better than most companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While almost everything sig builds is complete and utter shit these days. </div></div>

This statement is complete utter shit. I own and have sold a ton of Sigs and nothing leads me to believe their build quality is not on par or better than most companies. </div></div>

So their cheap israeli furniture on their rifles with the top rails coming unbolted isn't an issue? Their well known decline in QC since cohen (eta, the same guy who shit all over kimber when he was in charge there) took over isn't real? The feeding problems on US made guns like the ones occuring in the SP2022 that never existed in the German guns aren't real? I could go on...feel free to keep fooling yourself into thing the current abortion up in NH is anything like the Swiss company, that's your decision to make.