• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig 226 elite or X5 all around

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
I have been looking at the 9mm 226 elite in stainless with the SRT trigger. I Really like the looks of this gun with the wood grips. The price tag is a little over a $1000 dollars new. I also came across a X5 all around for around the same price new. Its a really good deal on the x5 compared to normal price. However, with both being the same price, what would you choose. I know that most people normally shy away from the X5's because of price, but I dont know that many people that have actually fired one.

Re: Sig 226 elite or X5 all around

I would say it matters what your going todo with it .
Had a X5 tac. as a suppressor host and changed to a 226
Blackwater with out any regrets .
just target shooting + X5 ( better trigger )
for all around and carry alittle + 226

I shot an X5 in PPC distinguished matches before the rules changed to allowing 6" guns. As a competitive shooter a would choose the X5 over the 226 all day long. X5 is a tack-driver.

Accuracy is the most important factor in my decision. This will only be used for target shooting. Ive heard that the X5 all around is nothing more than a fancy 226, but what are the key differences.

Although the all-around is the entry level model in the X5 line-up it is still completely produced and hand fitted in Germany. The "Elite" is produced on the same mass production assembly line as the p226. So the "Elite" is really just a fancy p226.

Don't get me wrong the p226 elite is a great gun, but really it is a p226 with a beavertail and a shortened trigger (60% shorter).

The X5 on the other hand is a competition variant of the p226. The hand fitting makes all the difference and puts the X5 in a class of its own. What is the key differences: accuracy accuracy accuracy...there should be a target that comes with your purchase providing a sub 1" group at 25m. Additionally, the X5 is heavier for recoil reduction and comes with adjustable rear sights.

As a note: About 8-9 years ago there were reports of extractor issues with the X5. I never had any problems. Just thought I would throw that out there.

What type of target shooting are you doing? Any competition use or are you just plinking?

mostly just plinking for now until some groups get started in my area

X5 for sure then! Especially if you can get it for $1000. The last time I looked the street value on an all-around X5 started at $1300.

P226 is a great gun, but the X Five is a really great gun. You won't regret getting the X Five, but might quickly regret not doing it...

I own both, and my blackwater that has been worked over by Grey Guns is the cats meow! Best double action I have ever fires, and single action is as good as my Springfiels TRP. Just do like me, and buy both! JPG

Cant buy both. Recently bought a Mark 23 and just killed my savings. I have loads of 9mm ammoand want something accurate to shoot it through. Had to sell my railed Sig STX to fund it. I ordered the X5 today for $1050 shipped.

A while back I listed my 226 Elite for sale to help fund a threaded X5 Tac. If interest in my 226 was higher Id have the X5 today. Unless you prefer the DA/SA setup, get the X5.

Thanks for all the input. The X5 all around version is DA/SA, this fact also kind of helped to sway my decision. I cant wait for it to arrive and get a few rounds through it. Ill post a report when I get to shoot it.

OK,got the X5 all around and really like it. Definately well made, and you can tell it is not a production handgun. Works extremely smooth and well balanced. Recoil is minimal. Printed some nice little 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards with my shaky hands and some old cheap American brand ammo.

Check out the 226 tactical. I enjoy the SRT trigger and the high capacity magazines. Its well worth checking out!

Good call for target work. I have a SA X-5 in 9mm, and Elites in P229, P226 & P220. The all stainless guns are great at taming recoil and well suited to high volume shooting. The Elites are allowed in more comps where size is limited (IDPA and some 3 gun). Fit, finish and accuracy are over and above with the X-5, and you'll get ~30-40 more fps with the .5" longer barrel. Holsters for the X-5 are a bit scarce last I checked. I am a long time Sig junkie in desperate need of help.