• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sig 516 Patrol Rifle ? - UPDATE

87Burban

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2009
Burbank, WA
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Sig 516 Patrol - Anyone have any experience with one of these ?

I can get my hands on one for $1299.

Go or No Go ??</span>

Re: Sig 516 Patrol Rifle ?

There are much better options out there. Sigs quality is very questionable. Look at a 6920, LMT, BCM or Daniel Defense and you will be much better served.

IMHO, No-Go. There is something to be said for having a weapon everybody knows how to use. You probably work with some non-gun types like I do that wouldn't have the first idea how to run one if needed. I'd rather carry an AR so my backup could use it in an emergency.

In my opinion the Sig 516 will make a fine primary carbine. They have hired key people to help in the development of the 516 piston system. One in particular is Robert Hirt formerly an HK Germany employee who intimately knows the 416 series of rifles. If you can score a 516 for under $1500 go for it. I didn't even know they were out yet.

Wait a tick OP. Are you talking about the 556? or the 516? There is a substantial difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion the Sig 516 will make a fine primary carbine. They have hired key people to help in the development of the 516 piston system. One in particular is Robert Hirt formerly an HK Germany employee who intimately knows the 416 series of rifles. If you can score a 516 for under $1500 go for it. I didn't even know they were out yet. </div></div>

They also have Ron Cohen at the helm... Research what he has done to every company's QC after taking over...

Yes, 516 (ar style).

There are a few dealers that have them. I believe this would be a better option than a 556 (swiss style). This way, I can put on a 7.62X39 or a 6.8 upper if I choose.

Buds has them, as well as Impact Guns.

I can get a patrol rifle with sopmod for 1299, or a precision marksman for slightly less than $1600.

Don't be too concerned hearing about how bad Sig QC is, especially if it's from people that don't actually own one. You will see a lot of that type of opinion being batted around on the internet, and it's meaningless. I have five Sig 556s in three different flavors, and they are all excellent weapons. I don't have a 516 (yet), so I can't offer you an informed opinion. The best places to go to get reliable info from someone that actually owns one is either SigForum:

http://sigforum.com/

Or SigArms556:

http://www.sigarms556.com/index.php

I have only read a few owner reports on the 516 as it's been out just a few months, but most have seemed pretty favorable. If you can contact someone that has posted about their 516 that also has an AR, that would be ideal so you could get a direct comparison.

Correction - can't get a precision marksman yet.

I am going to order the 516. I'll post pics when it arrives.

I haven't seen any bad reports on the 516 and I've been looking for reorts on them since they came out. Maybe SIG has finally gotten their act together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 87Burban</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correction - can't get a precision marksman yet.

I am going to order the 516. I'll post pics when it arrives. </div></div>

Thought for sure that I seen one yesterday. Didn't ask, but could have swore it was a precision marksmen. With the PRS stock and sig blue label around the grip. It was at wades in bellevue, if your from the seattle area.

I have almost 1000 rounds of all variety ammo through mine.

everything from Tulammo to lake city m193

My own "Range report" on Sigforum

The only issue I have had was magazine related and my fault for not paying attention. this was on 3 instances.

Pmags may be questionable, as I am having difficulty with 4 of the 10 I have. They just drop out, if I hold them in, they function fine. All other GI spec mags I have function fine.

I have a Vortex 1-4pst incoming as well as a set of troys

At the $1300 price point I'd say functionally its as good as any of them within the range. Looking at the setup, I'd say comparable to a $1700 offering (but $200 of that is in the Troy BUIS provided already)

Accuracy, with the BS red dot it came with I'm getting about ~2MOA at 100 off bench

I'd not be afraid to recommend to anyone to purchase one.

I'm very happy

I'm impressed with it enough I plan to put an IOR 2-12 on it soon to let it stretch a bit

You guys are aware that the Sig is nothing but a MEGA AR right?

I love all the debate about the great engineering or mediocre engineering when they are doing the exact same thing S&W is doing. Contracting them out to an established AR manufacture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are aware that the Sig is nothing but a MEGA AR right?

I love all the debate about the great engineering or mediocre engineering when they are doing the exact same thing S&W is doing. Contracting them out to an established AR manufacture. </div></div>

Not to be antagonistic...

But do you own one...

Have you shot one...

I answered the OP as an owner, as they asked

I just speak from someone that purchased one after handling and shooting LMT, LWRC, DD comparable versions (that cost more) and opted for what I have and very much like it.

I do admit there has been some QC issues in Exeter on some releases. (every company does that produces vast amounts of anything) Hell I watched and shot a G19 that stove piped every round today

I personally have had absolutely zero issues in regards to QC from any Sig product I own.

My 229 SAS built 12/09 has absolutely no rail wear after 2000+ rounds (mobil 1 is a great lube) put 100 through it today (WWB, reload HP and reload lead bullets)

My 09/01 P6 rails look as new as it probably left the factory possibly 11 years ago.

And as stated almost 1000 through he 516 with no issues except I or an aftermarket mag caused

Yes there are comparable quality AR variants out there coming from very reputable companies, that is not denied

question answered by an owner......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are aware that the Sig is nothing but a MEGA AR right?

I love all the debate about the great engineering or mediocre engineering when they are doing the exact same thing S&W is doing. Contracting them out to an established AR manufacture. </div></div>

s-w is all in house at this point i believe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snwghst</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are aware that the Sig is nothing but a MEGA AR right?

Not to be antagonistic...

But do you own one...

Have you shot one...

I answered the OP as an owner, as they asked

I just speak from someone that purchased one after handling and shooting LMT, LWRC, DD comparable versions (that cost more) and opted for what I have and very much like it.

I do admit there has been some QC issues in Exeter on some releases. (every company does that produces vast amounts of anything) Hell I watched and shot a G19 that stove piped every round today

I personally have had absolutely zero issues in regards to QC from any Sig product I own.

My 229 SAS built 12/09 has absolutely no rail wear after 2000+ rounds (mobil 1 is a great lube) put 100 through it today (WWB, reload HP and reload lead bullets)

My 09/01 P6 rails look as new as it probably left the factory possibly 11 years ago.

And as stated almost 1000 through he 516 with no issues except I or an aftermarket mag caused

Yes there are comparable quality AR variants out there coming from very reputable companies, that is not denied

question answered by an owner...... </div></div>

Good for you I have been a SIG owner for over 20 years that still does not negate the fact they are not building the rifles. As for AR rifles I own more than a few that have well in excess of 1000 rounds with no failures. Yes I have shot a 516 and no it is not worth the advertised price IMO. Glad you like yours and I hope you continue to do so. Just as I hope that the S&W (Stag) owners continue to like theirs.

Re: Sig 516 Patrol Rifle ? - UPDATE

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Update:

Ordered one from a local gun shop and - to my suprise - the older model with the ctr stock and the mil spec trigger showed up. This is not what was presented from the distributor.

So - after being in communication with Sig and several large suppliers - here's what I know:

The model with the SOPMOD stock and two stage trigger will not be released until the summer time frame. Sig said that they had not anticipated the demand and are behind (which is common to new models in many manufacturers).

If you are looking at one of these - even if the photo and description from the distributor are of the newer model - beware. NOT YET AVAILABLE. The model number and order number are identical. Don't order a 516 and expect the new one.

Waiting stinks. I'll press on looking for a good piston gun.</span>

I picked a 516 patol today. Ran 250 round and will do the same on Sat and Sun. And report back.

Well ran 100 rounds tonight. Believe it or not Hornady steel cased match. No failures at all. It is a better shooter than my Stag Model 3 (will be taking the 6940 with me this weekend). True 10 shot 1 inch groups. I will be shooting all weekend and will report back. Tomorrow will be IRI 855, Federal 855 and Hornady TAP Leo. I did run a few patches through the barrel and that is all. So we will see if I can make it through my 800 rounds without any failures.
Gun is set up with a Harris BRMS and a Vortex PST 1-4X24.