• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SIG 556

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm in search of a rifle that fits the bill for Michigan's Pistol laws (basically it will have a folded length between 26" and 30" as I understand it). What this allows is for me to own and carry concealed in my vehicle under my CPL, a rifle that michigan considers a pistol.

The more common solution is an AK folder...

I'm looking at other options and I see the SIG 556 rifles just about all fold into a package less than 30".

Looking at the Classic Swat and the Swat Patrol rifles... along with the 556R (7.62x39).

Just curious what the members here on the hide think about the specific models I mentioned and if they'd be worth looking into for my purposes.

Re: SIG 556

Also giving the 551-A1 a look as well

Don't need a pistol... I need a rifle that folds to between 26-30". In Michigan, that is called a pistol and licensed as such... there for we can carry it under our concealed pistol license.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't need a pistol... I need a rifle that folds to between 26-30". In Michigan, that is called a pistol and licensed as such... there for we can carry it under our concealed pistol license.</div></div>

Ironically the entire full length of the FS2000 fits under 30", but it doesn't fold so I guess you can't use it.

Actually I think that would work... but it seems a bit higher priced than I was looking for.

Oh, well if it doesn't have to fold, then bullpups should work.

You can get a Microtech STG-556 for much less than an FS-2000. The 16" barrel model I believe is well under 30" OAL but you should verify.

Didn't have much luck looking for the STG-556. The ones I did find were well over the cost of the SIG 556...

I have two Sig 556s. One is a pistol converted to an SBR. Both run 100%. It is a reliable platform in my experience. Triggers are pretty good for a battle carbine.

Some of the early ones had canted rails and a few other early QC issues. Anything you find with a folding stock should be GTG, as they came out later. I like the Swiss folder much better than the collapsible folder. The Swiss stock is rock solid and the collapsible folder seems a little flimsy to me.

I had a 556 it ran smooth and no complaints, traded it and to this day wonder why? Someday I will get another one but the 551-A1 has my attention though over priced at the moment, I will hold out.

Yeah I think I've decided to go with the 556. I've not really heard much bad about it and it should fit my needs perfectly! Thanks guys!

Hey Nate, I heard that things were getting a little bit rough over your way, but didn't know they'd gotten that bad...just the malls, or everywhere?

I have both SIG 556 Pistol and rifles, and while the triggers aren't exactly great, they are stone reliable. The pistol is fun to shoot, but at anything over a short distance is almost useless without a butt stock, which would require registration as an SBR, which I think under our odd Michigan gun laws would no longer allow it to be carried concealed as a pistol, gotta love it.

LOL yeah... it's mostly around the malls and and that slum East Lansing... Need the heavy guns around here! Seriously, it's just a what if type thing...

Yeah I'm about 99.9% positive SBR's are not legal in MI anyway... so we deff wouldn't be able to carry concealed. I really hope that gets changed.

There is a bill that is likely to pass our state legislator that will change what Michigan consider's pistols to be in-line with what the fed law is. That means there won't be anymore "Michigan Pistols". But as it is written currently, if it was owned before Jan 2013, it will be grandfathered in as a pistol. So I need to buy now if I want to be able to carry a rifle as a "pistol" under our CPL.

I have a SIG 556 and run it with 55gr ball ammo and its a solid shooter. The trigger is different (not bad, not good, just feels different than a good AR trigger) and its reasonably accurate. I did not like the diopeter sight, so I mounted an EoTech. The other poster is correct that the swiss folding stock is solid as granite.

All in all, its an AK built like a swiss watch, runs like a champ but pretty accurate and good lookin too.

Good luck with your 556.

I have never owned a 556, but have seriously considered buying one about a year ago. Then I started reading about many of the terrible QC issues people were facing. It seems like if you get a good one you are set, otherwise get ready for a world of not fun.

I have had three sig 556s. Two pistols and one early carbine. LIked them all. Always worked well. I sold them all off. They don't do anything any better than the ak would for cheaper. Accuracy was NOT there for me. Liked that they took ar mags and fed .223. Pistols would make nice sbr pdws but beyond 100 they are a waste. back to ars now. Good luck!

Okay my local LE dealer does not have any in stock and there is a good chance I won't have more than about 90-100 days before the law changes in MI, which would defeat the intent here if I don't get it before the change. Interstate Arms does not have any in stock and is check on wait time for ordering from SIG. Does anyone know of any LE dealers who has or may have any of the 556's in stock? I could make due with any but the DM version

Thanks!!

Top Gun Supply had one in stock on the officer purchase program- All set!