• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sig 556

R37

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
West St Paul MN
I am seeing alot of sig 556's out ther for incredible price reductions-I am thinking about buying one to paint- Why the price reduction ?- Any answers would be great- I want to put one on my website

Re: Sig 556

IMO when they first were released they were shooting for unreasonable MSRP due to the 551, 552 heritage.

I beleive they soon discovered few were willing to pay those prices for a rifle more comparable to an AR.

At any rate they are very fine rifles withe more than acceptable accuracy and outstanding reliability. I regret selling mine and its on my list to get another when funds allow.

They are heavy, the balance of the rifle is so bad I would rather have an AK-74. They are ok but nothing great.

Some that you see are cheaper as they had them on sale through distributors. I got one at the sale price and can actually retail it for a profit for less than what they sell for now wholesale.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: damitboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some that you see are cheaper as they had them on sale through distributors. I got one at the sale price and can actually retail it for a profit for less than what they sell for now wholesale.

Dave </div></div>

This is pretty much the answer. They are excellent rifles, front heavy like any other gas/piston driven system and they produce phenominal accuracy. It's a great rifle that I love shooting and it shoots well.

I have had one for a few years now. It has proven to be very reliable, though not particularly accurate. I would say 2 MOA+ with most ammo. Fine for combat, but not very good for target work.

You can shave some weight off the front if you add the 551 handguards. Makes a noticeable difference in handling vs the "fish gill" unit that the gun ships with.

Some of the early ones came with Swiss parts, and are considered to be a bit more "valuable" as a result. You might hunt for a used one. For more info, you can check out the sigforum or sigarms556 web sites.

I like mine. It is a bit heavy, even with mods, and probably wouldn't be my "go to gun", but it is fun to shoot and as I said, seems to be reliable.

I am a big fan of the Stgw 90, and this is probably as close as I will ever get to owning one unless I hit the lottery or something.

Greg

I have several and my experience has been similar to GCHK91's with regard to accuracy. ~2.0 MOA, maybe a hair better under optimal conditions. As noted, they are front heavy, but also very reliable. About 8 months ago I paid close to $1300 (each) for a pair of 556 SWATs to add to the collection. At some of the current prices I've seen, I could have gotten three for that same total amount.

I know there also was some price reduction in response to the new 516. My local dealer had 556 Swat's going for $1065 in order to make retail space for the new 516's coming in.