• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 716 picky with ammo?

BadApple

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
Just a quick question. I got a Sig 716 gen 1, put a SSA trigger in and has a Trijicon Accupower on it along with a SiCo Hybrid direct thread. I have a love hate relationship with this rifle, sometimes it shoots excellent, sometimes I'd be more accurate by just yeeting it downrange 100 yards. I bought some premium ammo, Berger 175 OTM Tactical, Hornady 178 ELD-X and 178 BTHP. First shots with the rifle this weekend were the Bergers, 100 yds, 3 shots in 1 raggedy hole, bumped the scope over 1/4" and up 1", bullet hole followed exactly. Next, tried some M80 ball ammo I had, 5 shots, within an inch. Loaded the 178 ELD-X, 3 shot group, 5 inch spread. There is where my troubles started. Let the rifle sit, thought it might be getting hot. After cooling, 3 more shots of the ELD-X, 2 shots within a half inch, last was 1.5" away. Maybe its me? Next day, shot an ELD-X, round went exactly where I held, but the next 2 were 2" away. Tried the 178 BTHP, and had a 3 inch group as well. Is it possible this rifle is that picky with ammo that it just doesn't like the Hornady? There is a 65 fps difference between the two brands. Or shooter error? I haven't put the chrono on it yet, so I can't say if the velocities are consistent. All shots are prone, trying to be as straight and consistent as possible. Let me know if I need to get the .22lr out and go back to Rifle for Beginners class. Or link to another thread about this if there is one, I haven't seen anything like this. At $2 a shot, I'd like to know if I'm headed the right direction.

Is the SIG your first Large Frame AR ?
Large Frame AR's tend to require a different set of bench technique.

Have you shot precision gas gun before? It's a very different technique from what you can get away with on a bolt action. You need to HOLD the gun like you mean it, brace it into your shoulder, hold firm on the grip and keep it from rotating, be lined up straight behind the gun, and hold the crosshairs on the target as the hammer falls. There's moving parts in the AR that affect it in ways you don't experience with a bolt gun.

Are you cleaning your gun between sessions? The gun needs to be fouled for accuracy's sake.

Frankly if M80 shot sub-MOA I'd jump with joy and stop buying the match stuff unless I wanted to shoot past 600yds. If the Berger shoots one ragged hole I'd call it done and shoot the Berger for my long range stuff. Not every ammo works wonderfully in each gun.

What magnification is your Accupower? I like the glass in them but the 1-8's have a really thick center reticle that's tough to use for precise bench shooting.

First piston gun, first AR 10. I shoot an AR 15 with an ACOG, but never bench it, just free hand at ground squirrels at 100 yards, otherwise I have a .338LM I’m working with, haven’t shot it much this season. I have not cleaned the barrel for almost 100 rounds.

Since the barrel is fouled and it sounds like you're used to shooting .338LM (I'm assuming you're a good shooter with it?), and you've got consistent technique, I'd just find what ammo your rifle shoots well and stick with it. Focus on gas gun shooting techniques and just for kicks try single-feeding ammo instead of loading magazines and see if that does anything.

Sounds like you should buy more Berger ammo and go back to the range. I’d also run FGMM 168 and 175 as they’re the gold standard for 308 match ammo. My experience with Hornady match ammo has been less than stellar.

Sounds like you should buy more Berger ammo and go back to the range. I’d also run FGMM 168 and 175 as they’re the gold standard for 308 match ammo. My experience with Hornady match ammo has been less than stellar.
Same experience I have had with Hornady. Won’t buy anymore unless it’s cheap and I’m desperate for brass.

agree, I am definitely NOT a hornady fan

Really? I’ve had good luck with the VMax and 338 A-tips. One reason I was trying to make hornady work is it’s more readily available in stores around here than the Bergers, unless I’m hand loading, which I will be soon for the .308.