• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chad3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2006
Anyone on here deal with Sig on a regular basis that can help me with an issue with my 226? Had it returned once for shooting about 3.5 low at 7 yards. Sent it back with a 10 back sight. I can't shoot the thing now with point and shoot as front sight is way too low. Wondering if someone can talk to them about a new slide. Need to cock wrist to get proper sight alignment.
Thanks if someone can help before CS.
Chad

Re: Sig help

What caliber and what model Sig? 226 Elite, Extreme, Combat, etc?
I ask because I just picked up a P226 Enhanced Elite and took it shooting for the first time yesterday and had about the same results as you.
Evan

get those side mounted sights.....
wink.gif

the 226 should have a set of 8 an 8 sights on it as I just had a set of Truglo TFO sights put on a 9mm 226 slide

How are you shooting it? Sights below your target, or sights ON your target (combat sight). Sigs are combat sights.

.40 S&W should have a 6 front and 8 rear. I have also found what ubet says to be true. Sights on target, not 6 o'clock hold.

Sig 226 Combat model. Holding on target. Sig did change out the sights as it was hitting low. Now it will hit where aim, but have to cock wrist to rear in order to get correct sight picture. As rear sight is that much higher than before. Something is wrong in the slide barrel area and was wondering what steps can be taken.

I shoot my Glock at point of aim. One of the main reasons why I both notice the difference and find it an annoyance that the Sig is different.

The Sig is made to shoot where the white dot on the front sight is when the three dots are lined up, not to the top of the sight bar. As others have mentioned, you can swap out the front and/or rear sights to move the point of impact if you don't like it, but changing the slide won't achieve anything.

If you don't like the standard sight picture and don't like a shorter front sight, try a taller rear sight perhaps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now it will hit where aim, but have to cock wrist </div></div>

Does the pistol hit POA?

It sounds like the problem is your grip. To quote Steve Jobs:

"You're holding it wrong."

Why would you need a new slide????????

Ive had 2 sigs that the sights didnt hit point of aim,along with $30-40 mags and the grip angle I wont own another sig,Glock and 1911 FTW lol

Reactions: WATERWALKER

If the sights needed to be changed out, there is an issue somewhere with the pistol(if standard is 8 and they needed to put on a 10, this means all other sights will be messed up as well for that gun). Its not my grip as I said, both my glock and other sig shoot fine. It is this gun only. Should not be changing my grip from one pistol to another.

An 8 year old post resuscitated. Outstanding. The topic itself however seems to be quite prevalent on various pistol forums......."my pistol shoots low at 3-10 yards". That is true. However the understanding for the observation often times seems to be mystical.

The modern factory sights of the full size standard Sig pistols , e.g. P226 are set up to have point of aim = point of impact @ 25 meters.

The Sig P226 with a 6.3” radius, sighted in at 25 meters, the bullet trajectory has to climb ~ 11” above the muzzle height in order that point of aim = point of impact @ 25 meters. The old Sig adage "float the dot, shoot the shot".

Anytime you desire a POI at a distance closer than your gun sights are zeroed at, you will have to use a POA that is higher at that closer target. The extent that you have to hold high will depend on your cartridge ballistics, sight radius length and distance to target. The Sig's @ 7-10 meters POI will be ~ 2/3 low of the factory sight zeroing; 10/25 x 11 “ = 4” of climb has occurred.

Remember:
Any deflection of the sight line during trigger manipulation will have the same magnitude of effect on POI as your sights being misaligned by an equivalent magnitude.
For the P226 every 0.007" deflection of sight picture (thickness of common index card) the result is a change of 1" in point of impact. That means if you disturb the sights 0.1" it results in a 14" miss @ 25 yards or 3/4 the width of average male torso.

The fixed sight-bore axis angle differential determines the vertical launch angle of the bullet; the launch angle can be adjusted by changing sight heights .

It must be understood that the instant the bullet leaves the muzzle it is moving downrange and UPWARD AT A DETERMINED VELOCITY!

In the case of the P226 the angle is~ 0.69 degrees which imparts a vertical velocity to the bullet the instant it leaves the muzzle. As a first order approximation, for a muzzle velocity of 1140 fps, this angle imparts a vertical velocity of 13.7 fps at the muzzle; time for the bullet to traverse 25 yards (75 feet) is 0.066 sec, at which time the bullet has risen 0.066 sec x 13.7 fps = 0.9 feet (10.8”)……there is your 11” at 25 meters; the downward force of gravity is not considered here, however can be used to precisely determine at what time in the flight path the bullet will reach its apex (vertical velocity = zero). It is easy to see how just muzzle velocity alone will impact vertical impact on the target.

Importantly, it is important to understand the one can change their front-sight ratios all day long but IF one is shooting at a target INSIDE the distance that the sights are zeroed at they point of impact will always be low!......unless one cock's their wrist into some goofy convolution.
Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.29.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.24.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.23.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.23.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.21.28 PM.png