• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sig Mosquito

johncamino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2009
Silver Spring, MD
I'm thinking about picking up a Sig Mosquito for the kids to learn to shoot. Does anybody have any thoughts? I like the feel of it over the the Walter P22, but I have heard that they can both be finicky with ammo. I'm thinking about going the threaded barrel, so that I can buy a can for it later.

Re: Sig Mosquito

never owned one or shot one but i have heard that premium and high velocity ammo gets rid of any reliability issues

I have never owned a Mosquito, but I have spent a couple of hours and a few hundred rounds of ammo trying to get a buddy's to run properly. It had failures to eject and to feed with approx. 5 varieties of ammo (Wolf Match Target, Federal GMM (711B), Bulk pack Remington, CCI CB, and Win Wildcat). I never could get it to feed/function reliably.

If you want a high quality .22LR pistol with a threaded barrel, look no further than the Browning Buck Mark (the "Camper" model has the threaded barrel).

The Sig requires HV ammo and I would recommend none of the above that ORD tried. CCI Mini Mags will run the Sig, and that is what is i believe recomended to run in them. I will say that the DA and even the SA pull is very heavy for women and children so keep that in mind. I have one that I bought for my wife, and it barely gets shot due to the trigger pull. There are better plinkers out there for the kids to shoot. The Rugers and Brownings are much more new shooter friendly. The AA .22lr kit is a good option for the Glock if you have one. Might want to look into the GSG 1911 also. Sounds like they are getting some positive reviews also.

I owned one for one range session. If failed to feed 10% of the time and failed to fire more than that. The take down lever drifted down and hung up the trigger. The shop I got it from sent it back for repair and Sig sent a new one. When the new one came in I asked for a refund. I love old Sigs but I will not even look at a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Might want to look into the GSG 1911 also. Sounds like they are getting some positive reviews also. </div></div>

Bingo.

Its a good platform to train since the controls are the same, the frame is full size, and it will operate and get them used to how a normal centerfire handgun operates.

Also, the GSG-1911 is pre-threaded.

It looks like a normal 1911, operates like a normal 1911, accepts 1911 accessories, has tight tolerances with great machining, and its threaded. Whats not to love?

OK, here's how I really feel.
Both the P-22 and Mosquito are miserable POS.
I doubt the GSG and Chiappa 1911s, or the ISSC M-22 (Glock clone, but bizarre lockwork-SAO with decocking slide safety) will last very long. WAY too much zinc.

I really hate to let the secret out any more than it is, but a S&W 422/622 is a very nice pistol. $250-325 on the used market. Suitable for smaller hands, aluminum frame (there's an all SS 2206). Uses M-41 magazines.

I have 2 six inchers (plus the 6" 2206) and am looking for a 4" with adjustable sights, as it should be the perfect suppressor host. /Barrel is fixed with a nut at the muzzle; replace that with HotRod9MMs adapter and the suppressor goes right on.

I've had 2 Ruger Mark 3's and they have always been reliable 22cal pistols. They can be had new between 350-500+ depending on barrel length and size and they arn't finicky with ammo either.

I have had a Mosquito that belongs to a teammate of mine for some time and I don't care for it all that much. Accuracy isnt all that great and it seems to give me feeding issues about 10-20% of the time.

Now I have had a Ruger MKII target for years and absolutely love that pistol. A little on the heavy side being as its all stainless with a 5.5 bull barrel, but I love it none the less.

The Mosquito also has a plastic frame, now I don't have a problem with non metal frames after all cause I am a big HK fan but is just feels much weaker.

i gave my wife a mosquito and she had some problems. the trigger is stiff and has alot of takeup untill it pops even in SA. sou you have to get over that.
never had a failure to feed. i think alot of that is missloaded mags with the rimmed 22lr. but failure to eject.... nothing but problems. untill my last trip to the range. the gun started running smooth. it was my ammo. it was lubricated match lapua.
so i sprayed some rem oil on some federal and it shot too.
i have heard that it takes 2 bricks to break them in and thats about what i am at. so lube your rounds and break it in.
its actually a pretty fun shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about picking up a Sig Mosquito for the kids to learn to shoot. Does anybody have any thoughts? I like the feel of it over the the Walter P22, but I have heard that they can both be finicky with ammo. I'm thinking about going the threaded barrel, so that I can buy a can for it later.

</div></div>

I don't own the Sig but have shot them and personally prefer my P22. You mention however that you prefer the feel of the Sig. If it is primarly for your kids to shoot it might be a good idea if you are able to (such as renting at a local range or such) try them out on both and see which they are more comfortable with. I don't know how far you are going on your kids' instruction with this particular weapon you are looking to purchase but if you were planning on teaching them to strip and reassemble as well you might want to consider that the P22 might possibly lead to a bit of frustation / sore little hands untl they get the hang of it. Aside from that I know my kid likes plinking ok with the P22 but much prefers the P30LS

Just my 2¢

I've own a sig mosquito, in two tone. It look really nice. The gun is so inaccurate. It really like the CCI mini mag. It does not like those cheap bulk ammo. Those thing jammed up every other round on me. I got a sig 226 those thing shoot real nice.

Well, I was also thinking that I could use it to teach my wife to shoot, and then transition her to something that operates similar to the Sig like a P226.

thanks for the inputs guys, I'm going to try and shoot both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 175G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about picking up a Sig Mosquito for the kids to learn to shoot. Does anybody have any thoughts? I like the feel of it over the the Walter P22, but I have heard that they can both be finicky with ammo. I'm thinking about going the threaded barrel, so that I can buy a can for it later.

</div></div>

I don't own the Sig but have shot them and personally prefer my P22. You mention however that you prefer the feel of the Sig. If it is primarly for your kids to shoot it might be a good idea if you are able to (such as renting at a local range or such) try them out on both and see which they are more comfortable with. I don't know how far you are going on your kids' instruction with this particular weapon you are looking to purchase but if you were planning on teaching them to strip and reassemble as well you might want to consider that the P22 might possibly lead to a bit of frustation / sore little hands untl they get the hang of it. Aside from that I know my kid likes plinking ok with the P22 but much prefers the P30LS

Just my 2¢</div></div>

I love the mosquito however its the taticool factor not its accuracy that makes it a great trainer. Its not as accurate as its competitors.
Its size action etc make it a good trainer for future semiauto shooting in bigger calibers.
For accuracy purposes only go with a ruger mark 4 or any bull barrel such as the browning buckmark, those guns both shoot bug holes.
But in my opinion arent as tacticool as the mosquito. Yes they are finnicky with cheap ammo but tap rack bang and its good to go again. They are pretty cheap lately too.

I have both the Sig Mosquito and the P22. The Sig (mine) is 100% with premium HV like CCI Mini-Mags. With bulk HV, not so much. It is accurate enough but it is a plinker/trainer, not a match piece. I got it because it is set up like my 226 for familiarity reasons. Also have the Walther, as mentioned above. Hated it for the first 4-500 rounds, ie: FTF, FTE, stovepipes, all. Since it is broken in it feeds bulk HV reliably, with only occaisional FTF's. The Sig feels more like a CF pistol than the Walther. Take a chance on the Sig. Make sure you get the metal magazines. Bought mine from AIM (the mags).

AG in NC

I have a Mosquito. First trip I got 7 rounds through it then the action didn't even try to work. I put nothing but minimags through it for the first 1k. Constant feeding and extraction problems, very rare to make it through a mag without a jam. It got better over time, so I tried some walmart bulk federal with the lighter spring. I don't think I've had a failure since. Runs pretty well now. That first 1k rounds was terrible though. It has also always shot high, even with the tallest front sight.

It works now, but there is no way I would ever buy another one.

edit: Terrible trigger too.

I bought my wife a Mosquito and it jammed like hell on Winchester Super X. Switched to CCI Minimags and bam not one prob in over 1500 rounds. I would recommend it

I love my mosquitos, only problem with them is they are not reliable out of the box, you have to break them in, 4-500 rds of CCI minimag (only) will do the trick, now I can feed either one whatever ammo I want for 100% reliability. the Sig scope mount is junk and pass on the plastic mags, the metal ones are much better. The triggers are a bit heavy at first but after break in period the pull weight drops to about 5lbs, I know not match quality but for the price a pretty good plinker or kit gun.
Hope this helps.

Mine actually runs OK, on a steady diet of CCI Standards. They come with heavy and light recoil springs for high and low power ammo.

I have the Walther and it is a REAL POS. Only gun that ever broke on me and I have owned over 150 guns. Brought it to the local smith and he tried to work in it and was impossible. Full of microscopic needles and pins and tiny coil and flat springs. JUST HORRIBLE. He finally sent if off to Walther and when it came back it had the worst trigger pull I have ever experienced. Real rough and seems like about 20 lbs!!!! I expect that i will snap the actual trigger off one day. It cured me for trying this cool looking stuff. I understand the SIG is made by the same group. I have over 30 Rugers and HKs pistols and never once have I had to bring one in or send one back. Knock on wood.

I sold my sig and got a GSG1911 and never looked back. After about 2500 rounds and maybe 10 jams i love it.

I saw a guy at the local range try to get his Sig to work for almost an hour before he gave up and headed home.

My brother has one and has nothing but trouble with his. he is stubborn and wont sell it and get something like a Browning. he is slowly getting it to feed with Minimags and not have a bunch of FTE or FTFs. I wish there were some options out there to make this little gun better. I love the feel of it as it replicates a full size 9mm but when it doesnt function right it makes it hard and frustrating to use

I have owned the P22 and it was a POS. I curently own a Mosquito. If I feed it Winchester Hi-Vel it is reliable, but with Remington Bulk (Wal-Mart) it is a Jam-O-Matic. I have shot literally 100sK rounds through a Ruger Mk1 and MkII target pistols. The Walther or Sig either one comes no where near the Rugers. I like the features of the Sig, but they need substancial improvements in reliability and function.

I've got one that I'm not overly impressed with. My Ruger and Buckmark are much more accurate and the magazines don't cost as much. ON the other hand, as some others have said, they have the look and feel of other Sig's and that makes them a viable trainer. High velocity ammo is a must in mine and with that I have no feeding or ejection issues. Lower velocity ammo and you can figure to have massive issues.