• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig P226 vs Beretta 92a1 for Accuracy

sprice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Utah
Which do you think is the more accurate handgun out of a Beretta 92a1/m9a1 and a Sig p226 of some sort?

Also, I want to buy a new threaded barrel (use with suppressor)for whichever one I end up buying and the Beretta get's a big +1 because we use that for the marksmanship team.

Re: Sig P226 vs Beretta 92a1 for Accuracy

If acuracy is the tie breaker the 226 win by a narrow margin, there are a few good smith that can make the 92 a tack driver but it is not cheap.
I would go with the beretta because the mags are way cheaper than the sig and the threaded barrels are a lot easier to get.
hope this helps.

Ihave had a 226 elite and around 800 rds through her and must say I STILL can't hit shit with it compaired to others. Great reliable pistol it is but past 20 yds forget it! Wondering if there is somewhere that will tinker with it to tighten things or what have you to allow better accuracy to be achieved. Pistols are funny as we all know. Just because I can't drive it well, some other Joe blow can. Don't have any experience on the 92f so...

My sigs are the best shooters I have ever owned....My TRP was great too.

Just from what I know on the two guns and what i would choose, it would have to be the Sig 226.

The Sig X-5 is the most accurate production pistol period. Mine came with a test target with 5 shots inside 1.5" at 50 yards or meters, can't remember. Try that with 92.
The 226 is a bit cheaper, and the threaded barrels are easy to get, as well as mags. Try sigforum for deals. JPG

Sorry, but I had to go with the Beretta. But then again, I am a Beretta fan.
grin.gif

Ya, sorry thats an easy one, Sig smokes beretta in the accuracy dept.

I've got the Beretta at work, but at home I've got a Sig for a reason.

having used both. sig...

for field work, I would prefer neither and go with a glock or M&P

I had a 92FS as my first gun, didn't like it, shot to the left which was verified by 3 different people and sold it. I'd probably buy a 90-two if the price was right but im not in any hurry.

P-226 with a fitted Bar-Sto barrel would be my suggestion.

Bar-Sto Barrels

they make a threaded match barrel...

Comparing an X5 to a 92 is not fair-----compare at same cost---there is a smith for Berettas that guarantee they are capable of a perfect score across the board---has already been done----I have an old 226 that shoots well and a new Elite that leaves a lot to be desired---at any rate they seem to be equal to me---both have been around long enough to get the bugs out----I like practicing with a 9mm but never considered for any bullseye work

Very close but the Sig by the slightest of margins. Perhaps because of the sights.

i will have to go with the berettz on this one. i have personally shot sub 3" 50 yard five shot groups off a sand bag with mine. out of a ransom rest it does better.

maybe it is a fluke mine shoots well but i go beretta

I tested some today and I think I prefer the beretta's trigger

The HK p30 felt sure felt great though...
laugh.gif

Sig p226 over the Berretta 92 any day. In the military trials, Sig beat out Beretta in reliability, but the Army went with Berretta due to lower costs.

Of course if you bring HK p30 into the equation, the ergonomics are better than either. LEM trigger gives you more consistency than DA/SA as well.

I've shot all three before, and own both a sig p226 as well as a HK p30.

The SigP226!
Myself like most who shoot handguns own both.
I shoot the Sig 90% of the time, it has to do with the feel, fit, for me.
Translates into confidence with that "I would bet my life on" this handgun.
I am impressed with the 92FS but shoot the Sig better.
Thanks, JOE

Ok, I have a Sig P226 and I love it. But sincerely it is very much up to the person's ability at these guns. I have seen a 92FS perform repeatedly in the hand of an Austrian shooter doing trick shots that would be considered impossible for the 9mm cartridge ballistics. If the 92a1/m9a1 is an improvement (I can't say, since I never tried them) it is very much possible to be equal or better then the 226. I am reading this forum the last couple of months and I enjoy the fact that I can learn from other people's experience. I have a strong belief that the man behind the gun is more important than the gun itself (of course only if they are more or less in the same/similar category).

Neither of these pistols is significantly more accurate than the other and one being more "practically" accurate than the other will depend on the shooter.

The first carry pistol that I purchased was a HK USP compact .40 cal with the standard trigger, not the LEM. Dispite mutiple range sessions and over 1000 rounds I did not feel comfortable carrying the pistol based on my ability to shoot it. I went to a local gunstore which had a brand new Beretta 92 custom carry in the display and walked out with her after a striaght up trade. The FIRST time I shot the Beretta I was far more accurate than with the HK. Are Beretta's more accurate than HK's........I doubt it. But <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I</span></span> was more accurate with it.

Not gonna lie, owned both, deployed with both. Sig felt and still feels top heavy. Unwieldy, I'm not a tiny guy, but it just doesnt fit me. But, that wasn't what you asked, accuracy as I read from a few sources seems to be Sigs title- though not by a wide margin. My 226 loved Speer Gold Dots.

I own both, two SIG 226s, actually, one with suppressor. Love 'em. Ergonomically the SIG is a "best fit" for me. I used a Beretta M9 while on active duty, qualified on the combat pistol course with it (pop ups, gas masks, all that fun stuff) and it was far and away a better fit for me then than the Glock 17 I bought as my first SA pistol. Sold the Glock, bought a Beretta 92FS Brigardier, then the SIGS later on.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, but I had to go with the Beretta. But then again, I am a Beretta fan.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Me too!

9-wheel-o-berettacopy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig p226 over the Berretta 92 any day. In the military trials, Sig beat out Beretta in reliability, but the Army went with Berretta due to lower costs.</div></div>

Here is an interesting link… Its a government report investigating issues with the M9 and how the contract was chosen. There are so many rumors and innuendo… Interesting to see the actual government report that was done to investigate any unfairness against the other companies vying for a chance to supply the military pistol.

http://archive.gao.gov/d4t4/130439.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sprice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which do you think is the more accurate handgun out of a Beretta 92a1/m9a1 and a Sig p226 of some sort?

Also, I want to buy a new threaded barrel (use with suppressor)for whichever one I end up buying and the Beretta get's a big +1 because we use that for the marksmanship team. </div></div>

I sold my P220, so I'm not sure how that would compare to a P226. My vote is definately for the 92FS, as for the 92A1, they changed the recoil spring assembly to a new system, so I'm not sure how that would affect recoil impulse or accuracy. I'm nearly as accurate(with adj. 3 dot) at 20 yrds as my 1911's.

Many poo-poo the Beretta, but with adj. 3-dots mine out shot the P220 by far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, sorry thats an easy one, Sig smokes beretta in the accuracy dept. </div></div>

Not the Sig I <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">had</span></span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sprice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tested some today and I think I prefer the beretta's trigger </div></div>

+1, swapping to a D spring greatly reduces travel, or so I'm told. Wife won't let me alter hers though....

I would go with the Sig all day everyday. I will never own another Beretta again.

haven't shot the beretta, but i do own a sp2022, and have shot several 226 and 229 pistols. I like the way they shoot, but they are designed by engineers not shooters. my biggest beef with the sig is the trigger and it not resetting in a consistent manner. my second beef is that the slide release sits right under my strong hand thumb and when it goes to the end of the mag and slide lock the slide goes back forward. that being said...my sig is pretty darn accurate.

SIG. I ditched my Glocks and exclusively use SIGS. My P226 is scary accurate.