• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig sauer p220 and sig v crown problem.

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
Last night I went to load one of my p220 magazines with sig sauer 230 grain v crown.
It would not fit in the mag. Its almost like it is to big
. 20200808_211609.jpg

20200808_211618.jpg

Its 8 round 45 mag.
It held and fired flawless pmc hollow points.
I'm dumfounded. I have ran the same ammo with the same mags in my P220 with no issues. I ended up going the HST route though.

I'd measure the OAL of them and see how the compare to the PMC's you have. It may be my eyes, but that case looks very very long

it's really interesting. i looked at one of the Hickok45 videos and it nicely shows the 220 mag being loaded (5:26)......when i try to visually compare the dimensions of the feed lips to case length(ignoring the projectile) on his magazine as compared to yours it sure look a bit different?
Curious, does your magazine load other brand/model of .45 acp?

.45 acp Case length.898 in (22.8 mm)
Overall cartridge length1.275 (32.4 mm)

Last edited:
i was hoping you might have been able to use the 0-1 inch micrometer to measure just the case length alone..... as the case itself should measure 0.898 inch. Likely i misunderstood.

It's intriguing. you no doubt know that you have the appropriate magazine, and you know that it fits the PMC rounds.....so perhaps the Sig rounds exceed SAAMI?

Is it perhaps possible to lay the PMC hollow points (or other such .45acp round) directly adjoining the Sig V Crown?

Unfortunately i no longer own a p220 so i have nothing here to compare......i do love that pistol, great ergonomics, very accurate and reliable.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of the P220 for a few decades. 230gr golden sabers are notorious for not working in p220 magazines. This is not the first report of the 230gr v-crown not working in p220 magazines.

The original seven round magazines and the mec-gars from the 90's are a different design and may have a better chance of feeding. For what it's worth, Federal 230gr HST +p works in all of my P220 magazines.

Best of luck.

Good luck. I used to be a huge Sig fan. Back when they were a German gun maker that sucked at marketing and sales. Now they are an American marketing company that sells guns. And since Cohen took over SigUSA, stupid shit like this has been the norm. I know he saved Sig from financial ruin, but some of those choices have taken a former top tier brand and made it a joke. Having guns released that have to go through several Gens to get right, QC issues like the OP has on what is supposed to be a premium product, to selling rebranded cheap Chinese accessories to go with your 'high end' gun.

But if you call Sig, let us know how they explain how their ammo doesn't fit in their gun. Total systems provider and all.

I emailed sig sauer before I posted this thread. Got an email yesterday.
Today got a second email stating they will be sending me a new magazine to try.