• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig Sauer P229 or H&K P30

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I am down to deciding between these two. One day I lean Sig and the next HK. They both feel good in the hand. Which would you get and why? Thanks

Re: Sig Sauer P229 or H&K P30

P229.

I had had the H&K and now I am glad I have the sig. I feel the parts are more readily available. but that is my opinion.

Take it FWIW.

KS308 can you give me a little more input on your feelings about them. Thanks!! I truly appreciate the reply.

Handle and shoot both and pick the one that fits you best. You can't go wrong with either choice!

I'm not a big advocate of either, because I'm a Glock fanboi...

However, I'd choose the 229 any day over the P30, if for no other reason than the oddball decocker on the P30. A left-thumb actuated lever on the back of the slide? WTF!?

While HK has ever made some very cool stuff (MP5 for example), they just never get it right with their handguns. The P7 is the closest they've come, but even that is an odd duck with the grip-cock feature. Still, I could rock a P7. But the USP is just a huge, high bore-center clunky beast with a moderately decent trigger. The MK23 - jeeeesus... The P2000 was a step in the right direction, but still just bigger and heavier than it needed to be, and it true HK style - high bore center. The evolution of the P2000, the P30, is just doctored up with grip panel inserts and that godawful decocking arrangement. No thanks. And WTF is wrong with HK and their mag release placement?

Meanwhile, the Sig is a sweet, well balanced and proven pistol with ergos that most everybody loves (not me, but I'm in the minority for sure). All controls placed within nice easy reach so you've never got to shift the pistol around in your hand to manipulate.

I have both, and while the HK P30 would appear to fit better in my hand, the Sig 229 is definitely where you want to be. By all accounts the HK should work better as it fits really nice. But it doesn't.

I can show you my broken pic rail too on my P30 from where it hit the ground and chipped.

For some reason too, I notice if you back up on a target the HK shoots a bit high after about 12-15 yards.

I tend to use my Sigs and Glocks more than anything, and HKs sit in the safe.

I have both, they both shoot extremely well but the P30 is my go to gun, it seems to fit my hands better and it's the one I feel most confident with. You on the other hand may feel differently.

My vote is 229. Not too experienced with HK after owning just one and several sigs, but that USP45 was pretty much over hype and under deliver. Now these are different guns of course but I have never been disappointed in a sig. I have found that I prefer metal frames over plastic. The way the HK "shot" didnt do much for me, it has a good deal more muzzle flip than a 220, and while the accuracy was raved about, I found it sub-par compared to an older sig 220. They both have a similar operating system but the aluminum frame, I feel, provides a better base for a serious firearm. If you want plastic get a glock, they are the plastic gun to beat. The sig 229 is my winter carry weapon and also lives in my nightstand. Definition of "Go-To" gun.

On another note, have you considered any offerings by CZ? I am becoming a bigger and bigger CZ fan everyday. Try the CZ-75 and SP-01 in your hands and tell me it doesnt feel right...

I vote p30. great weapon. no issues. mine has no "funny decocker"

I agree with Lowlight. The HK feels like it should be the better shooter, but in my hands it isn't compared the the Sig 229. I sold the HK and kept the Sig.

I have the P30L and love it. It is more accurate than I am and functions flawlessly. I will say that if you get a H&K the only trigger worth a dam is the LEM V1.

I had an HK for a bit. Never fell in love. Mag release is simply a training issue, but it is different from all my other pistols. Trigger sucks, but isn't as bad in the LEM version. Accuracy is fine. High bore axis means it will be harder to control vs a comparable pistol with a lower bore axis.

However, if you do lean toward the HK, do yourself a favor and shoot a Walther PPQ first. While it is striker fired (not sure if you require a hammer.) the gun is at least as comfy, the trigger is far better, and Walther doesn't have an ill concept of what their weapons are worth. If the HK was $599 it might be worth the price but at $900+ it makes ZERO sense.

All this said, I have 1911s and Gen4 Glocks exclusively. I might think of tossing a Sig in their later, but I have no want at the moment. Glocks never fit me until the Gen4 came out and they seem to have the initial bugs fixed. I have no FTEs or FTFs through either my G19 or G17 through almost 1000 rounds (they are relatively new).

Josh

My experience has been just the opposite. Now I am a long range rifle guy, and never use my handguns as much as I shoot the rifles. So keep that in consideration here...

I have owned Sigs exclusively for the past 20 years. They are all very well made, smooth and refined. I started with a plain Jane P220, and put thousands of rounds through it over 15 years. I have 2 P220 Elite Darks (one reg, one compact), a P229, and 2 P226's.

I have never been a fan of the "striker" design of pistols, but that is purely MY preference.

I never liked the USP series and they never fit my hand well.

Then I tried the HK45. It does not feel anywhere near as smooth, or refined as any of the Sigs. However, the HK45 is far more accurate in my hands than any of the Sigs I have ever used. I am more confident I can hit what I am aiming at with the HK45, than I am with the Sigs, and I have used the Sigs exclusively for almost 20 years. I prefer the V1 fire control mechanism, and can carry it in any configuration desired, including "cocked and locked" as a 1911. I do plan on eventually having a trigger job done on it, but even without, I am still far more accurate and confident I will hit what I am aiming at than any of the Sigs in my safe. Yes, it does have a somewhat higher bore center, but it isn't that much different than any of the Sigs. I am not a big guy, and do not have big hands, but the grip on the HK45 and HK45C just fit my hand so well, it makes the natural point of aim for me virtually perfect. As far as the magazine release, it is far easier for me to actuate it with my dominant index finger, than to reach the release on the Sig with my thumb. I know the HK45's are somewhat different than both the P2000 and P30, but my only point is to try it out for yourself.

The fact that I discovered a specific variant of the HK45C was the pistol of choice of our Dam Neck operators didn't exactly make me second guess my assessment.

I love Sigs, but if I have to grab one pistol, depend on it to fire no matter what, muddy, sandy wet, whatever, it will be the HK45. Just my 2 cents.

A handgun is for fighting your way back to your rifle.

I forget where I first heard that, but it sounds good.

I'm an NRA pistol instructor, have given personal attention to close to a hundred people (lots and lots of women) over the past 12 years (I do it for fun, and personal commitment, not profit).

ALWAYS use/carry the gun with the highest caliber, highest capacity, with the ergonomics which work for YOU. If you carry the gun, it needs to be the right size/shape for comfort, too.

I love SIGs. They just fit. Draw, and the gun feels like an extension of my hand, comes right up to my face with the sights lined up on target. It was that way from the first time I picked one up. Now I own a half dozen.

Second are 1911s.

For fun I have wheel guns, lots of 'em.

Owned a Glock once, just didn't work for me. At all. As much as I wanted it to, it just didn't fit me. Ditto with the HK plastic grip gun, forget which model. But I LOVE my P7M8. It's compact, sexy, and if I'm on my game I can sometimes get groups under an inch at 7 yards.

Find your best fit and stick with it.

+ 1 on going with the Sig.

I have a pair of Sig P229s and love them both. One is a P229R in .40 and the other is a P229 SAS in .357 Sig - both guns have been flawlessly reliable and robust as hell through 1000s of rounds each.

Downside to Sigs is that most people I know who have bought one end up buying another...and then another...and so on. No wonder they call it a "Signess"

My two P226 Sigs have been flawless, and as someone above posted, they feel like an extension of your hand. With action shooting, I never use the sights, I just point and rarely miss. Some of this is from years of spearfishing, where everything is "instinctive".

The P30 I shot at the range was not as smooth as my Sigs, and did not feel right or "automatic" to me. I plan to buy a M&P9, a CZ Kadet, then another Sig.

s

My vote is the sig I have never owned a p30 but i did have an HK45 which has the same texturing on the grips. I dont wear an under shirt and after an hour it was like sandpaper. It rubbed my side raw! I have owned many sigs including several 229's and love them my favorite is the 229 dark elite.

I've never handled a P229 so I can't speak to which one to get. I will say however that I like the rear decocker on the P30. It's one less item on the side of the gun, making it slimmer and easier to conceal.

I've shot the Sig you mention and it's a fine gun, but just wasn't for me. I've owned a P30 for about 4 years now, and carry it often. I think it's a fantastic gun. Some on here have mentioned the "odd" placement of the decocker and/or mag release. While it did take a brief adjustment period, I now really like the placement of both. the decocker next to the hammer and mag release as part of the trigger guard really stream-lines the profile, making for a quick draw and nothing there for clothing to snag on. Shoots soft and plenty accurate, and I've let plenty others shoot it that thought the same.
I have respect for SIg and know a lot of people like them, but the grips have always felt large in my hand (know they've addressed that some as of late), and all the releases/levers on the left side of the gun just seem like a Rube Goldberg machine.

Get a sig and never look back. I bought a P30 when they first came out, loved the feel, but was horribly inaccurate. One of my smiths has a Ransom rest, and I put every kind of ammo I could find through it. The best groups of 10 shots was 2 1/8 at 15 yards. This was very depressing as I just spent 900+ of my hard earned on this pistol. I sold that pistol and bought a M&P 9mm. I have had many sig pistols, but my favorite is a Blackwater 226 that I had Bruce Grey of Grey Guns in Oregon work over, trigger compares to my custom 1911. Utter reliable, and will print 1 1/4" groups of 10 shots at 25 yards. This may be not the norm my experience with the P30, but HK's customer service is a JOKE! If your not the Military, you can go to the back of the line. Even my buddys Police Dept gets shit for customer care. Crazy that a PD with 450+ officers that are all issued USP.40s get the one finger salute. I'm saying I will never buy any pistol with a HK on it. Good luck

I would save money and get a Glock over both of these pistols. If the grip and feel is an issue then there are plenty of options for grip modifications out there. The Sig is heavy and I currently am issued an HK45 which I am less than impressed with.

No choice in my opinion. Injection molded plastic vs machined 7075 alloy?

I work for a very large agency that issues HK pistols. They have thier problems, take my word for it. Ours are all the same make/model/caliber and have the same common failures. The P2000 .40 LEM, and the most common part to break is the trigger reset spring, followed by the trigger bar, recoil spring tab on the slide and the hammer strut.

If the P30 comes in a version other than the LEM, it may be good to go, otherwise i say go with the sig.

It would appear the Sig Sauer P229 is a good pistol and I have another question about them. I see that with a simple change of parts, one can shoot 22 LR, 357 Sig, 40 S&W and 9mm Parabellum in them. Obviously a kit would be required in going from 22 LR to the others but if one has one in say 40 S&W, would one have to get a kit to shoot 357 Sig or would a simple barrel change suffice?

Out of the guns I have in that same size and caliber I choose 1). M&P 9, 2) G17, 3) Sig 229 Elite 4) H&K P30. The first three are all pretty much neck and neck with the P30 a way distant second or 4th to be precise. The thing I don't like about the H&K is the slide stop gets very loose over time and the slightest touch while firing will cause the slide to not lock back when the magazine is empty. It's also not as accurate as my other guns or lets just say "I am not as accurate with it". Its is a beautiful gun indeed, ergonomics are just amazing but simple things like the slide stop, the finish coming off easily, parts are extremely expensive, H&K customer service is not good at all, finding a certified H&K armorer is few and far between and the price tag make it not worth it IMHO.

Funny how you can go from one forum to another and have opposite recommendations on manufacturers. Either way I like to see Sig getting some love.

While I have little experience with the P30, I've had plenty of range time with USP's and a P2000 that I owned. I also own a 229 in 40. If picking between those 3 guns, I would choose a 229.

The Sig is without a doubt the handgun that I shoot most accurately. Above a m&p or any HK. Love the fit and feel, but mostly the recoil control. It just plain feels so smooth. Perhaps, it's the weight but it is balances much better than any HK has form. Plus, it and my m&p are the only guns that I've ever owned which have functioned 100%. I understand that this is a sample of one, but those are my experiences.

As for Sig's customer service. When I purchased the gun at Bass Pro, I took a quick peek in the box, but didn't inspect it. Got it home and took off all of the factory goup that they plaster on it and discovered a heavily tarnished slide release and take down lever. Tried polishing it out, but no luck. Bass Pro wouldn't do a thing for me (tried getting a replacement or a couple bucks off). Called Sig and they happily Fed Ex'd me replacement parts and some Sig swag.

My agency issues the P229. In the last 5 years we have had zero issues with any of our pistols. Its a medium size agency. Prior to the P229 we had the P226. No issues with them either.

I had a buddy who had the P30. I didn't care for the trigger in it one bit. Seemed like it had a long reset.

I have both a sig p229 as well as HK p30 and glock 19.

The sig is finely crafted and built like a tank, but carries like a brick. I shot it well and it is great for precision work in my hands, but I shot it noticeably slower than my Glock and HK. DA/SA is a disadvantage to me, now if they could come up with a better DAK that would be a dream.

The HK grip fits like a glove and shoots right on for me. I have a LEM trigger and I really like it. If you can get use to the mag release it is very functional and truly ambidextrous.

Glock ergonomics sucks to me and feels strange in my hands, but I shoot it the fastest.

P30 but only if you get the LEM. I dumped all my other pistols. I now compete with a 9mm P30L, have regular P30s in 9 and 40, and an HK45C, all in LEM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a big advocate of either, because I'm a Glock fanboi...

However, I'd choose the 229 any day over the P30, if for no other reason than the oddball decocker on the P30. A left-thumb actuated lever on the back of the slide? WTF!?

While HK has ever made some very cool stuff (MP5 for example), they just never get it right with their handguns. The P7 is the closest they've come, but even that is an odd duck with the grip-cock feature. Still, I could rock a P7. But the USP is just a huge, high bore-center clunky beast with a moderately decent trigger. The MK23 - jeeeesus... The P2000 was a step in the right direction, but still just bigger and heavier than it needed to be, and it true HK style - high bore center. The evolution of the P2000, the P30, is just doctored up with grip panel inserts and that godawful decocking arrangement. No thanks. And WTF is wrong with HK and their mag release placement?

Meanwhile, the Sig is a sweet, well balanced and proven pistol with ergos that most everybody loves (not me, but I'm in the minority for sure). All controls placed within nice easy reach so you've never got to shift the pistol around in your hand to manipulate. </div></div>

To each their own. Bout to get a p30 next week. Sold every Sig I had, and glad. See more and more of them going back to Sig, especially the 716. Sigs don't have very good ergos, and I'd like to see a 229 go 93,000 rds without a major part failure, +p or not. Sig just ain't what they used to be years ago, and I mean years ago. Hk45 and 45c is a leap in the right direction.

By the way, the hk mag release is actually faster when you actually take it to the range. No more rotating the gun so your thumb can reach the side button. And who need to decock while aiming? It's quite easy to decock an hk while holstering. Furthermore, you can carry condition one. Do that on a Sig. With the decocker separate from the safety, there's no chance of decocking while taking the safety off, like on the FNX for instance.

But if you like the Sig, more power to you. The hk is just more refined....