• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SIG Spear-H vs Scar 17

Cswedeen

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
With the upcoming release of the Sig Spear heavy in 308/6.5creed/.277 I am seriously considering buying one in .308 when it's available.
I currently have a scar 17 with kdg rail, mototech adjustable gas plug, etc. that is topped with a vortex 1-10 to fill the battle rifle role, with a JP LRP-07 .308 topped with a mk5hd for a dmr-type role.
Would the ar-type ergonomics, side-charging handle (similar to JPs for consistency across platforms), and ease of shooting suppressed for the Spear-H- at the expense being a little heavier- be enough to switch platforms? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230129_182143.jpg
    20230129_182143.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: MK7
Planning on a Spear myself. To answer your question: IMO the Spear will serve the same role as your SCAR. If you’re bored with it then I say go for it. I suspect that Sig, despite their history, will give real support to the platform. Unlike FN

Reactions: Cswedeen
Would certainly fill the same role for me. With the history of Sig dropping support for rifle platforms in the past it makes me a little leery, but perhaps since the platform won the ngsw competition future support and parts (bcgs, barrels, bolts, etc.) will be more easily found. And I have definitely noticed FN's complete lack of support for the Scar- $1k for an extra bcg is just insane. With the Scars proven reliability I'd probably never need one, but that doesn't help the small voice in the back of my mind.

I get it. I’m a fan of the original MCX and now the Spear LT. Virtus not so much. Love the flexibility and innovation.
If the Spear LT is a look at the fit and finish of the Spear I’ll be happy with that at a minimum. I dont expect much when it comes to accuracy in either new platform. Happy enough if it’s close to MOA.
Sig takes a lot of shit for the public beta testing etc but my experiences with their products and CS has been phenomenal. If the support for the 320’s and the 365 is any is any sign, it’ll be good. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Cswedeen
I’ve had a SCAR-17 since 2013 and put 10,000rds through it with no degradation in accuracy or appreciable parts/receiver wear.

In that time I’ve had 6 malfunctions in 10,000rds and 4 of those were due to old surplus ammo.
Scar 17 has my vote.
Whereas my SCAR 17S had constant malfunctions and was beating itself to death as visible by the galling on the bolt carrier rails in the extruded receiver.

Reactions: BurtG
Whereas my SCAR 17S had constant malfunctions and was beating itself to death as visible by the galling on the bolt carrier rails in the extruded receiver.
I’ve had a SCAR-17 since 2013 and put 10,000rds through it with no degradation in accuracy or appreciable parts/receiver wear.

In that time I’ve had 6 malfunctions in 10,000rds and 4 of those were due to old surplus ammo.
Scar 17 has my vote.
I bought my scar 17 in 2013 and i’ve kept it leaning in my closet ever since. No failures ever and no galling on the extruded receiver. Checkmate, atheists

With the upcoming release of the Sig Spear heavy in 308/6.5creed/.277 I am seriously considering buying one in .308 when it's available.
I currently have a scar 17 with kdg rail, mototech adjustable gas plug, etc. that is topped with a vortex 1-10 to fill the battle rifle role, with a JP LRP-07 .308 topped with a mk5hd for a dmr-type role.
Would the ar-type ergonomics, side-charging handle (similar to JPs for consistency across platforms), and ease of shooting suppressed for the Spear-H- at the expense being a little heavier- be enough to switch platforms? What are your thoughts?

I had a Scar 17 set up similar to yours and sold it last year. I didn't have any issues with it, I just felt my SR25, and MWS's worked better for me.

I think my main issue with the Scar is that its really not supported by FN. For example, They have never really updated the gas system or shoulder thickness to accommodate suppressors. They still have this weird stance on suppressors voiding warranty, Its not available in 6.5cm unless you want to invest in the mk20. The non reciprocating charging handle is a nice improvement, but its very much so the same rifle that released almost 15 years ago.

In regard to the Spear H, I think that its essentially a product improved Scar which is a product improved AR18. I like that it can accommodate suppressors, I like that its multi-caliber, I like that it has a modern length hand guard.

Would certainly fill the same role for me. With the history of Sig dropping support for rifle platforms in the past it makes me a little leery, but perhaps since the platform won the ngsw competition future support and parts (bcgs, barrels, bolts, etc.) will be more easily found. And I have definitely noticed FN's complete lack of support for the Scar- $1k for an extra bcg is just insane. With the Scars proven reliability I'd probably never need one, but that doesn't help the small voice in the back of my mind.

This is pretty close to where I am.

I've bagged on Sigs history of product support, BUT, i really do think that Sig USA figured out who they are. While I don't have an MCX, I think they have the most refined modern AR18 on the market, and I think that says a lot considering the competition.

The company armorer determined that they were binding due to grit and sand. We switched out to PWS Mk216's and the problems went away 🤷‍♂️
Wierd...

How were the 216's? I hear pws has a really good piston system.

Wierd...

How were the 216's? I hear pws has a really good piston system.
Easily my favorite rifle EVER! Ive been considering the 18" version and may pick one up. My 16" will regularly shoot .5moa with my handloads using the 185 VLDs. Ive had it to 1000 but not often. My farm range maxes out at 500.

17S has been my go-to for years, I love the thing. Accurate, reliable, in 13" can handle shoot house drills and then immediately step outside with a useful 700m dope. Stock folds and you can swap barrels with one tool in 5 minutes for longer range applications. Neat piece of kit. (Although short barrel feels like it's how it was meant to be; somewhat do-all configuration).

Nevertheless, if the army embraces the sig and the new caliber, I'll definitely get one of those. Seems like a natural iterative evolution of the same concept.

Here's the general purpose config as described for any interested:
scar17-13.png

My SCAR17 is set up very similar to GreenJavelin's. I set up the 13" barrel with the KDG 4.5" rail and mototech regulator. I then set up the 16" barrel with the 6.5" KDG rail and its own Mototech regulator. Of course Geissele trigger and a couple other necessities. I absolutely love the platform in every respect. The Mototech regulators solve the suppressor backpressure issue and the piston system stays remarkably clean. I haven't shot a ton of ammo through it. A few hundred 147 grain stuff, some 150 Hornady handloads, and some 125 grain SST Hornady handloads, but never the slightest hiccup. Im constantly amazed at how well it shoots mil-spec 147 grain stuff. Im switching to the SCAR from my Vltor/ADM/Criterion/Geissele 14.5" system for rifle course nights. I actually purchased my Dillon 750 so I could load 308 in quantities to keep up with rifle night demands. In my experience I'd want a piston setup in a gun that I really relied on. I plan on picking up a PWS MK111 soon for rifle night. If I couldnt have the SCAR, it would be PWS or LMT piston. Nothing else.
I dont know much about the Sig, but based on MY SCAR, there is nothing in the world that would bring me to part with it in its current configuration. Obviously I'm not including cost/value into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisLH
My SCAR17 is set up very similar to GreenJavelin's. I set up the 13" barrel with the KDG 4.5" rail and mototech regulator. I then set up the 16" barrel with the 6.5" KDG rail and its own Mototech regulator. Of course Geissele trigger and a couple other necessities. I absolutely love the platform in every respect. The Mototech regulators solve the suppressor backpressure issue and the piston system stays remarkably clean. I haven't shot a ton of ammo through it. A few hundred 147 grain stuff, some 150 Hornady handloads, and some 125 grain SST Hornady handloads, but never the slightest hiccup. Im constantly amazed at how well it shoots mil-spec 147 grain stuff. Im switching to the SCAR from my Vltor/ADM/Criterion/Geissele 14.5" system for rifle course nights. I actually purchased my Dillon 750 so I could load 308 in quantities to keep up with rifle night demands. In my experience I'd want a piston setup in a gun that I really relied on. I plan on picking up a PWS MK111 soon for rifle night. If I couldnt have the SCAR, it would be PWS or LMT piston. Nothing else.
I dont know much about the Sig, but based on MY SCAR, there is nothing in the world that would bring me to part with it in its current configuration. Obviously I'm not including cost/value into this.
All those words and no pictures! Come on!

My SCAR in its 13" gear ready to shoot at the rifle range. They REQUIRE you to sit so I snap on my Atlas and do all my load development here. I absolutely love this thing. I do wish I was able to score the FDE version though. Maybe I'll try for the SCAR 20 in FDE

Attachments

• 20221004_114720.jpg
    20221004_114720.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Dendro and PBWalsh