• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig SSG 3000 info

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well my rifle a.d.d. is kicking in and i am finding myself looking at the sig ssg 3000 and was wondering what experiences you guys have with them basic pros and cons. i like the stock design alot and the 3 lug action looks awesome, but have never seen one in person.

thanks scott

Re: Sig SSG 3000 info

IIRC, it's a 6 lug bolt.

The stock is very comfortable, the action is very smooth, short bolt through, locks up like a vault, and the factory trigger breaks very nicely.

It was a bitch to shoot, but it wasn't my rifle so I didn't adjust anything other than the cheek piece.

The trigger felt awkward to me, but it wasn't my rifle and it was setup for the owner. I mentioned it to him and he said that the trigger position was adjustable (never heard of that before).

I only fired 10 rounds through it but all of them went through one ragged 0.5" hole.

Very nice rifle.

i am confused it was a bitch to shoot but it grouped 1/2moa?

what did you think about the mag system?

is the barrel threaded onto reciever, by reading the description ti kinda sounds like the bolt actually locks into the barrel and not the reciever which i am guessing would make rebarreling a fucking nightmare.

trigger position is also adjustable on trg's, anschutz, cg jackson, rpa, very common in europe.

It is true, the bolt locks into the barrel. Which means no headspacing issues. You can change a barrel in less that 2 minutes. Install the bolt and lock down the 3 barrel screws,done.
    I wish I still had mine. Had to sell it to fix my truck.
    The mags are great. They are almost 3.5" front to back. You can seat a very long bullet with no problems. Barrels are expensive, but no gunsmith costs at all.
    Good luck.
    Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am confused it was a bitch to shoot but it grouped 1/2moa?

</div></div>

it was a bitch to shoot because the stock was too short for me and the trigger was in an awkward position/angle.

the nice man who let me shoot his rifle (and i hope isn't reading this) was about 5'8 and built like a t-rex.

if i would've played with the stock and trigger, it would've fit me better.

i don't remember much a about the magazine system other than the release was recessed in the stock in front of the magazine.

yeah that would pose a problem for me to i am 6'6" and part monkey i think.

really to bad the barrels aren't easier to swap out sounds like a awesome system other than that. to bad i have no real use for a 308, because the stock looks like a great combonation of kmw sentinel and mcmillan a3

after shooting that SSG 3000, i looked into purchasing one.

the barrel is definitely unique and has one big advantage: you can change your own barrel in minutes

and it poses two big disadvantages: you can only get 308 barrels from sig and barrels cost more than $700

Changing my own barrel would be nice, but $700 is a little steep for me.

At one time I was looking into the SSG 3000 as well as the European competition version known as the Sauer STR 200. If I remember correctly, there is a company that makes "barrel extensions" for lack of a better term where the bolt lugs would lock into. This allows conventional barrels to be fitted to the extension at a more reasonable price. I'll try to see if I can find a link to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    you can only get 308 barrels from sig
    </div></div>

That's unfortunate because Sig (Sauer?) makes 6.5x55 and 6mmBR barrels for the 200 STR that will fit the SSG 3000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerpilot750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    If I remember correctly, there is a company that makes "barrel extensions"</div></div>

"Sauer pipe adapter"
    http://www.ahlarsen.dk/sortiment/diverse-tilbeh-r-2/

I have read that some people have used old 200STR/SSG3000 barrels to make their own barrel extensions for the STR/SSG.

It should also be possible to use Sauer S202 barrels with SSG 3000 with a slight modification.

Scott,

Our SWAT/Sniper Unit shoots SSG 3000s. We've had them (7 rifles)for about 6 years. They came with a McMillan stock--I think they still do. I love the stock, however, you have to drop the cheek rest to remove the bolt. This is is a pain in the butt and adds an unnecessary variable if you shoot a cold bore shot from a clean barrel or if you swab your barrel before shooting or deploying.

The rifle is very well built--of course, it's a Sig. The trigger is ajustable for distance from the grip, and for pull weight. Its a two stage trigger. I had always shot Remington before being exposed to the Sig and it took me a while to get used to the trigger, but, I love the trigger now. The safety release is located in the top of the trigger housing; never have gotten used to that. The barrel/receiver has a picitany rail build in that is really slick. They are slightly heavy but no big deal.

I have nearly 5000 rounds down my barrel, some of them fired in quick 20 round strings--we are pretty hard on the barrels. It still shoots 1/2 moa all day long. I've shot 5 round sub 1/2 inch groups recently.

The receiver is designed to take Sig barrels which, as mentioned above, are expensive.

All in all I really like the rifle for its accuracy and durability.

I can give you pics or more detail if you'd like.

Interestingly, these rifles came with a Sig muzzle brake/hider that was later "recalled" by Sig. It seems that the brake had a tendecy to catch rain which ended up pooling water in the barrel for a shooter laying prone in the rain. Pressure issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: entelodont</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    you can only get 308 barrels from sig
    </div></div>

That's unfortunate because Sig (Sauer?) makes 6.5x55 and 6mmBR barrels for the 200 STR that will fit the SSG 3000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerpilot750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    If I remember correctly, there is a company that makes "barrel extensions"</div></div>

"Sauer pipe adapter"
    http://www.ahlarsen.dk/sortiment/diverse-tilbeh-r-2/

I have read that some people have used old 200STR/SSG3000 barrels to make their own barrel extensions for the STR/SSG.

It should also be possible to use Sauer S202 barrels with SSG 3000 with a slight modification.</div></div>

any idea on how i could order one of those barrel extensions i have no idea how to even read the language the website is written in. shit i don't even know what they cost by the ad. kinda makes me feel retarded honestly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    any idea on how i could order one of those barrel extensions i have no idea how to even read the language the website is written in. shit i don't even know what they cost by the ad. kinda makes me feel retarded honestly. </div></div>

It works out to about $230 at current exchange rates. Denmark doesn't use the Euro. I'd try emailing the guy in English.

—Andreas

Scott,

It's time for the ADD to end. Suck it up, buy an AX, and be done with it. I have, and I haven't bought another precision rifle since, no need to.

Just sayin',

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

It's time for the ADD to end. Suck it up, buy an AX, and be done with it. I have, and I haven't bought another precision rifle since, no need to.

Just sayin',

-Bob</div></div>

the a.d.d. will never end, however that being said i absolutely love my trg and dont have any intentions of letting go of the trg platform, but it doesn't mean i can't play with other platforms also.

Hey if you end up getting that Sig I may be able to help you get a barrel extension if you're willing to part with the Sig for a bit while I take a bunch of measurements on it, it's not like you need it with all those TRG's... just sayin.
    Justin

SSG 3K barrels.

Price all barrels app $500.

Sauer, rifleing and chamber hammerforged.

S406 Sauer STR 670mm/19mm 7,62x51 Nato
    S407 Sauer STR 670mm/19mm 6,5x55 Skan
    S408 Sauer STR 740mm/22mm 7,62x51 Nato
    S409 Sauer STR 740mm/22mm 6,5x55 Skan
    S410 Sauer STR 700mm/22mm 6,5x55 Skan
    S411 Sauer STR 700mm/22mm 7,62x51 Nato

Heym and Schultz&Larsen barrels:

Heym hammerforged, S&L cut rifled.

PIPE S&L 700/21-210 Blue
    PIPE S&L 670/19-210 Blue
    PIPE HEYM KAL.6,5-730/21-225-6 lands blue
    PIPE HEYM KAL. 6,5-700/21-225-6 lands blue
    PIPE HEYM KAL.6,5-730/21-225-6B lands coated
    PIPE S&L KAL.6,5-670/19-210
    PIPE S&L KAL.6,5-700/21-210
    PIPE S&L KAL.6,5-670/19-210 coated
    PIPE S&L KAL.6,5-700/21-210 coated

PIPE HEYM/S&L KAL.6,5-620/18mm-Hunting/target
    PIPE HEYM KAL.6,5-700/21-225-6B-Coated

Coated barrel:
    pipe_s&l700c1.JPG

Thick layer of acrylic "paint". Reduces vibration in barrel. Verified by mesuring in machine rest.

Yeah I saw that. It gave me hope that they were at least still interested in the rifle. They said it was part of the PSR.

500 dollars for a barrel that you can swap out yourself isn't outrageous, considering a blank price here, gunsmithing, and the wait for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I saw that. It gave me hope that they were at least still interested in the rifle. They said it was part of the PSR.

500 dollars for a barrel that you can swap out yourself isn't outrageous, considering a blank price here, gunsmithing, and the wait for both.</div></div>

$500 seems like a steal compared to what DTA charges for their replacement barrels.

I bought an SSG 3000 yesterday that is in great condition at 6 years old. I've googled until my fingers are sore to find not much info. Using this post, I've looked into the couple of leads and also some info from the SH search. Mine is .308 and I'd like to find the 6.5 barrel. I have emailed the guy in Denmark and hope he speaks English or has someone he can get to translate. I talked directly to Sig today. They have .22 conversions for $1900 (no thank you). The do have a few magazines in stock here in the US and I ordered an extra for $90 shipped. The customer service guy was very helpful but the rifle is not real popular here so the info was limited. He added that the only barrel available was in .308. He was able to send me an original owners manual as well. I don't need anything for my rifle but would like more info about the 6.5 barrel. If it's possible to get one, I want it. If anyone has more info I'd appreciate it.

I too have fought off the urge to buy one also. I have shot one but only 15 or 20 rounds. The action and trigger is right on par w/ the TRG. I liked the stock all but the pistol grip is too short for my hand, it didnt feel as long as the A2 or A4 Mcmillan that I have owned so that was a draw back for me. Also as mentioned you have to lower the cheek peice to remove the bolt, not the best design. But for me the bigest draw back is the mag capacity is only 5 rounds and for me the mag was difficult to insert, now this would proably be resolved with some time with the rifle but my TRG, all the Badger, Mcree, and AIAW/AIAX that I have shot have all been intuitive for me and the ssg 3000 wasnt. That is the main reason that I dont own one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey if you end up getting that Sig I may be able to help you get a barrel extension if you're willing to part with the Sig for a bit while I take a bunch of measurements on it, it's not like you need it with all those TRG's... just sayin.
    Justin </div></div>

PM me some details to discuss further (over the weekend maybe). I'm in the market for a barrel too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSG 3K barrels.

Price all barrels app $500.

Sauer, rifleing and chamber hammerforged.

Heym and Schultz&Larsen barrels:

Heym hammerforged, S&L cut rifled.

</div></div>

Anyone know the costs and hassles getting a barrel from Europe through customs and ITAR rules imported into the USA? A 6.5x55 isn't my first choice but, a good choice all the same.

Thanks!
    Sid

I used a google translator to understand the description of the adapter from the company in Denmark. It says the adapter allows you to use any (pipe) barrel to the sig. I'm hoping to hear from this guy about getting one. If it works, my SSG will have a Rock 5R in .260. Sweet......

Barrel adapter maker contacted me from Denmark. Said it works great. No magnum calibers but most anything else. Allows you to change from Sig barrel to custom with the adapter. Hope it works. He can ship and does paypal. Spoke with Stacy at Mile High in Colorado. He is waiting for me to send pics and measurements of my receiver but it looks like the AI factory 1 piece scope mount will work with the Sig dovetail. Cheaper than Spuhr and US Optics. He has 30 and 34mm with 18 or 28 MOA cant as well as 30mm adapters for 34 mm rings. I'll post what I find out.

Updated with pic. Original AI dovetail mount with 28MOA cant and 30mm rings. Had to knock out the pin on bottom of the mount. With the mount and scope all the way forward, the eye relief is ok but not much room to adjust more forward without modifications. Also still working on the .260 barrel. Had phone call from Denmark and several emails. Getting close.
    sig3jbp.jpg

More good news. I've been in contact with the owner of Border Barrels in the UK. They make SSG barrels. I can't import the barrel. Border does make an adapter that will allow a regular barrel to be used. The adapter is on the way and cost is $97 US, shipped. This adapter is the same as the factory Sig bolt but has threads on the other end like a Rem700 or other receiver. Your new barrel will be threaded and screwed onto the adapter then attached to the Sig receiver as normal. The only difference is the threads are 22-x1.5 metric. Im going to have a .260 chambered for this. Anyone wanting more info feel free to email.

That's great news! I also have a SSG3000. I love the rifle but would also like a barrel in 260. I will be watching for updates.
    So Border can not send barrels to the US?

Long story short, I've talked to Geoffrey, owner of Border Barrels and he said the importation laws and regulations hampers dealers or gunsmiths from importing 1 or just a few barrels. If they had a market for large volumes of barrel imports it might be worth buying and importing to USA. The adapter is the way to go in this situation. I ordered them today. Another member requested 2 as well. Should have them soon.

Unfortunately us SSG 3000 owner's cant order barrels from overseas but we can order the adapter from border barrels for 100 bucks a piece but finding a smith to do the barrel mating to the adapter since it is metric threaded is almost impossible. If an American barrel maker started making SSG 3000 barrels he would be a billionaire, LOL. If any of you guys have used the adapter can you give me your gunsmiths contact info. I own 3 SSG 3000's and it is the nicest rifle on the planet. As a prior sniper working over seas I noticed everyone competing with the ssg 3000/Saur STR200 in fact its the most used rifle for sniping and competition overseas. In Iraq I noticed some CIA officials we did a raid with also used the SSG 3000 as their primary sniper rifle and as a sniper I asked them about it. They told me that they use them because they use hammer forged barrels that maintain half MOA up to 30,000 rounds and the barrel can be swapped for a different caliber or shorter barrel in minutes. He also pointed out that the m24 I carried had to be rebarreled every 10 to 12 thousand rounds with the rock barrel and the m40 needing to be rebarreled every 15 thousand rounds, they also pointed out all the extra cost like rebluprinting a barrel, fitting the barrel and truing and reglass bedding an action cost just as much as an ssg 3000. He also said the guys in Europe shoot SSG 3000 with 100 hundreds of thousand on the action and only having to swap out thextractor and firing pin and spring about every 15 thousand rounds. You can only rebarrel a remmy 700 few times.

Well since this thread is back from the grave I might as well update it. Last summer I found a Sauer 200STR and have been shooting it as a 22lr. I have to say it is bad ass! It matches the ergonomics of my TRG almost 100% and the trigger is almost identical. The action is super smooth, just a very well built rifle! I have been trying to get some more 22lr mags for it threw Sauer USA but have had no luck. If anyone here knows of where or how I can get some I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone in Europe can get me one or two I would make it worth you time ;).

Here are a few pics of my Sauer as a 22lr:

any info or experience on the new SSG3000 patrol? it's listed at under $1500 on their site, that's ridiculously priced compared to the German made rifles for the difference in losing the MCM and taking on their own stock configuration

I actually called Sig in New Hampshire a few weeks back to get some more details on that rifle. The 2 different people I spoke with had no clue, they both read verbatim off the website.

Did anyone find a smith or barrel maker To make barrels to fit the rifles or the adapters? My rifle ships Monday. Thanks!

I have given up dealing with Sig USA, the front line CS have shit for brains. I also struck out with the higher level of CS, I was told the Sauer rifles and the SSG3000 were serviced threw J. P. Sauer who I have been working with for almost a year trying to get an extra 22lr mag for my conversion and they finally told me to contact Sig USA.

Joe,
    Is that your SSG? How do you like it? I think they are a true sleeper for factory tactical style rifles. Especially when Cabelas had them on sale a year or two ago for $2200. I still kick myself for not getting one... Are you interested in selling it if it is yours?

I have given up dealing with Sig USA, the front line CS have shit for brains. I also struck out with the higher level of CS, I was told the Sauer rifles and the SSG3000 were serviced threw J. P. Sauer who I have been working with for almost a year trying to get an extra 22lr mag for my conversion and they finally told me to contact Sig USA.

Joe,
    Is that your SSG? How do you like it? I think they are a true sleeper for factory tactical style rifles. Especially when Cabelas had them on sale a year or two ago for $2200. I still kick myself for not getting one... Are you interested in selling it if it is yours?

The SSG3000 is apparently retailing for $1499 now...