• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sig Tango 4 Thoughts? Esp 4-14x44

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
AZ
Hey guys, there's not much info on these scopes on here.

I want a scope for a hunting rig, and it want it to be 20oz or less, MRAD and FFP - theres not many options that fit all these categories.

You can get these for 460-500 new right now, so before everyone and their mother tells me PST G2, that scope is heavier and more expensive.

I have a Sig Tango 6 that I'm pretty happy with, but I know the Tango 4 is a Philippine made scope. I prefer the ability to dial, but since its a hunting scope I prefer glass quality over great turrets and precise clicks. Also, my eyes prefer edge to edge clarity over a really nice sweet spot - which is actually why I often have issues with any Vortex that isnt a Razor. TBH with you I have been trying to stick to low end LOW scopes or better, but I was thinking of taking a flyer on this one. The scope will go on a hunting rig that will most likely be limited to 450ish shots or less.

Any opinions?

I have the Sig Tango 4 4x16x44mm except in MOA. The scope' glass is very clear edge to edge no distortion that I could notice. The scopes adjustments are repeatable w/ zero stop on the elevation. For a hunting scope: IMO It's good quality for the price point. eye relief is 3.3 inches, parallax adjustable, revolution counter. Illuminated reticle 10 settings, I set my magnification 12x for open country shooting. The scope weighs 25oz, a little more than you wanted but it's minor IMO.
One of the nice things that came with my scope. As an option; if you send in your Bullet/Cartridge details and what elevation you shoot at. Sig will make you a specific elevation turret to your load. so all you have to do is dial up.

Didn't know if you have this information or not, but here it is.

Specs from the manual:

4x16x44mm FFP
Exit Pupil mm (low) 22.9 (high) 5.1
Linear FOV FT@100yds (low )24.1 (high)6.3
Meters@100M (low)8.0 (high) 2.1
Eye Relief is 3.3" or 84mm
Objective filter thread M 46 x 0.75
Objective Clear Aperture 1.8"/44mm
Weight 25oz./709 grams
Windage 78MOA/22MRAD
Elevation 78MOA/22MRAD
Max Rotation 6.5MOA/4.5MRAD
Illumination 8 daytime/2NV
Length 13.6"/346.4mm
Electronics and the tritium is warranted for 5 years.
Their Infinite Guarantee/warranty offered: "We will repair or replace your Sig Sauer product in the event it becomes damaged or defective, at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition. it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it."
SIG SAUER Infinite Guarantee:
*Unlimited lifetime guarantee
*Fully transferable
*No warranty card required
*No receipt required
*No time limit applies
*No Charge

Last edited:
Reactions: R_Swanson
I have the Sig Tango 4 except in MOA. The scope' glass is very clear edge to edge. The scopes adjustments are repeatable, zero stop. For a hunting scope: IMO It's good quality for the price point you've indicated. Do you need the specs?
Specs as in size and weight, no, that's on the website (unless you've found it to be wrong on their site, then yes).

Thanks for the feedback. Is yours the Gen 1 or 2?

I'm especially happy to hear about the glass. As I said in my OP, it's really hard for me to use glass that doesn't have good edge to edge clarity, even if that means it's not as clear as the sweet spot of something else.

Gen 1, it doesn't have the internal level. I purchased it more than a few years back from Amazon for about $800 and change (New). $460-$500 is a great price. I'm still very happy with the purchase I made regardless of the price. As far as the glass goes I was lucky and got a very good one. NO regrets here.

Gen 1, it doesn't have the internal level. I purchased it more than a few years back from Amazon for about $800 and change (New). $460-$500 is a great price. I'm still very happy with the purchase I made regardless of the price. As far as the glass goes I was lucky and got a very good one. NO regrets here.
I see your edit with all the specs, that's interesting because the website shows the Gen2 as 20.5oz.

I see your edit with all the specs, that's interesting because the website shows the Gen2 as 20.5oz.

I never personally weighed the scope, I just copied what was in the enclosed manual for my scope. I did double check the manual and yes mine says 25oz. I noticed the available elevation increased from Gen1 (78MOA) to Gen2 (90MOA) ...even better.

I’ve got the gen 1 tango4 in 4-16 and 6-24. In 4-16, I have both the moa milling and dev-l reticle. The tango 4 is not a bad scope for the money. I am bad at reviewing glass, but I don’t have any complaints. The turrets on my scopes have been repeatable and track well.

I was in this same boat a few months ago and ended up buying a Gen 2 Sig Tango 4 4-16 for my Tikka T3X light hunting rifle. Great combination. Very happy with the glass quality and reticle. I wish the turrets were locking... They are stiff, so I don't forsee having issues with them for my purposes, but it might be a consideration. Overall, I am very happy with it.

I was in this same boat a few months ago and ended up buying a Gen 2 Sig Tango 4 4-16 for my Tikka T3X light hunting rifle. Great combination. Very happy with the glass quality and reticle. I wish the turrets were locking... They are stiff, so I don't forsee having issues with them for my purposes, but it might be a consideration. Overall, I am very happy with it.
Thanks man. I pulled the trigger on one, so I'll update the thread when it arrives.

Funny enough I'll have the same setup as you, its going on my T3x. Out of curiosity, what rings did you choose? I'm thinking of taking the rail off it and going with some lightweight rings.

I also bought one off EuroOptic, and it should be coming in a day or two. I have a couple of gen2 Tango6s to compare it to.

Thanks man. I pulled the trigger on one, so I'll update the thread when it arrives.

Funny enough I'll have the same setup as you, its going on my T3x. Out of curiosity, what rings did you choose? I'm thinking of taking the rail off it and going with some lightweight rings.

Lightweight Talley's are my go to for Tika.

My Tango4 4-16x gen2 came in. I paid $440 for it from EuroOptic. It is marked as made in the Philippines.

Optically, I'd say the PST Gen II comparison is pretty good. It's not as clear as my Tango6 scopes, but peering around the neighborhood a bit, I thought the level of detail it was resolving was better than I expected. Clarity seemed fairly constant through the entire magnification range, with 16x perhaps being slightly less than 8x (which is pretty normal, to my understanding). At no time did it become cloudy, blurry, or so on, which is more than I can say for many other lower budget scopes I've had.

Illumination is modestly daylight visible, not daylight bright. It was a slightly overcast day (plenty of sun, just a bit hidden behind clouds), and the illumination on max washed out when pointing the scope straight up at the sky, so I am a bit skeptical it would be visible on a target directly reflecting/glinting the sun. It was visible on every other scenario I tried. Illumination quality was quite good, no bleed that I noticed - put me in the mind of the Tango6, just not as bright. I have high standards with illumination, so I try to be conservative. Obviously, daylight bright illumination is somewhat less critical on this sort of scope, at least for my usage.

Turrets were as expected for the price point. There's some resistance when turning, and the clicks are audible. The elevation turret had less resistance going forward than backward; I'm not sure why. They are not locking, which is disappointing, but there are zero reset and zero stop features. Parallax and illumination needed firm, but not harsh, movement.

I am a big fan of the DEV-L FFP reticles, and it looks identical to the one on my Tango6. Obviously, if you want to use those .2 mil hashes, you will need to be at a minimum of 8x zoom, and probably more like 12x. I'd say the 1 mil hashes are usable through the entire magnification range.

Physically, I think it's a fairly handsome scope. It's in black (thankfully), with a flawless finish on the 30mm tube. The zoom ring has a pair of fiber optic rods, which, IMHO, don't do much of anything. It does, however, come with a magnification lever, which is a nice touch.

Next step is to get it mounted to a rifle and do some shooting!

I got mine today - I got a dud, so Euro optic is replacing it.

Out of the box the turrets were the stiffest thing I had ever felt especially the elevation turret- so I thought something was probably up. Then after dialing a little it wouldnt dial down, then started again - then stopped dialing all together. I could twist the elevation turret but the internal dial was getting no purchase, it just spun.

Glass was nice for its price, so I was happy with that. CA was fairly well controlled and it had fairly good edge to edge clarity. I will try another one. These things happen with every company, especially at these lower price points.

The reliability of the turrets does seem to be the weak spot in the line. Hopefully Sig works that out in the next go-around. I was otherwise pretty impressed.

Any updates on how these Gen2 are working out? This year has absolutely killed my play budget and I need to scope a rifle. I really liked the Tango6 I had for awhile, so I'm considering these 4-16x to finish a rifle off but was hoping someone had more time behind the Gen2s. It's either this, or a used SWFA 3-15x, which while they still have 5mil turrets, no ZS, and no illumination, they do have a stellar record of reliable and accurate tracking. Thanks!

Been way too busy to haul mine out, between classes and matches. Hoping to do so by the end of the year.

I've got a couple of gen 2's on a bolt gun 223 and semi-auto 6.5 Creed. They do what they are supposed to. I've got no complaints, but since I got them the 5-25 strike eagle came out and is now my preferred low tier optic for the money.

I've got several of the Gen 2 4-16s. For the money I really like them, find them on sale and I personally think they are a steal. Turrets are decent enough, but being first focal plane I don't plane on using them too much. Best value I've found in a non chinese made optic for my uses (made in phillipines). Not all that heavy, decent enough glass. I havn't found anything better yet in the sub $500 range. I like Vortex Razor (japan) and PST (phillipines) lines , but I"ve seen several of the chinese made ones fail, I no longer trust them at all. Warranty is great, but there is also a really good chance your going to need it.

I have a Sig Tango 4 4-16X mounted on my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a very very good scope however QC isn't up there but good customer care I recommend the Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 seems to tick all the boxes 19Oz , extremely good glass, MRAD
eurooptic has for sale at a bargain price $799.99 great deal if you ask me.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I can get a Tango4 for less than a used SWFA 3-15x, but the SWFAs, while being dated and simple by comparison, are proven performers. And if I settled for a 10x, I'd save even more and allow myself to boost back up into DMR2/PST2/XTR2 territory faster, which is better overall anyway. We'll see...

I've got several of the Gen 2 4-16s. For the money I really like them, find them on sale and I personally think they are a steal. Turrets are decent enough, but being first focal plane I don't plane on using them too much. Best value I've found in a non chinese made optic for my uses (made in phillipines). Not all that heavy, decent enough glass. I havn't found anything better yet in the sub $500 range. I like Vortex Razor (japan) and PST (phillipines) lines , but I"ve seen several of the chinese made ones fail, I no longer trust them at all. Warranty is great, but there is also a really good chance your going to need it.
Isn't it actually made in S Korea?

Turrets are just ok, they are pretty stiff and how the zero stop is setup is weird to me, but it's FFP and the glass is pretty damn nice for the money. It's also light. I bought it for a 308 hunting gun that I won't stretch out past 500 and I'm pretty happy with it.

OK, I finally managed to get my Tango4 4-16x (DEV-L MRAD) out to the range, riding my Kel-Tec RFB. In a funny coincidence, I also had my 6.5 Grendel bolt gun with Tango6 3-18x (DEV-L MOA). Now, I had a malfunction with my mount that kept me from zeroing it (the ADM mount was being canted upwards by my front BUIS), but I did manage to get some hands-on with it.

It's not as clear as the Tango6. I could easily tell the difference, even at 100yds. You'd sort of expect this, the Tango6 is like 3-4x the price of the Tango4. I don't know if this makes sense, but I had more trouble distinguishing holes from the reticle with the Tango4 than the Tango6, and I don't think 16x vs 18x was the difference.

The turrets... ugh, I have such mixed feelings about them. The clicks and rotation counter are OK, they're not mushy. Integrating the zero stop so you always stop at zero seems genius in theory, but the reality is that there are sometimes situations where you might not really want that (eg, integrating offsets for different ammo). But lack of locking absolutely sucks. I know, the PST Gen II doesn't have locking turret, so some marketing guy at Sig decided to shave a few bucks of production costs, but it simply wasn't a great decision. The counter-point to all this is that the Tango6's zero stop is a real PITA to set, so I think maybe Sig still has some engineering work in general to do on this front.

Parallax only goes down to 50yds. The Tango6 does to 25. I don't know if this really matters to anyone. Side adjust parallax was quite nice, though. Also enjoyed the built-in throw lever, enough so that I was wishing for it on the Tango6.

I'm happy so far. We'll see how it holds up in terms of durability. The RFB is not a particularly hard kicking platform, but it's still 308.

ETA: 1/1/2021: my second attempt at zeroing still was like 8" high at 50yds. I spent some time trying to diagnose this, and it turns out that what I _thought_ was the bottom of the turret's rotation was not quite the bottom at all! Apparently, when you get to the halfway mark, you run into some real resistance (or I did), and you have to power through a bit. This was not a zero stop issue, the cap was still on like "5" at this point. My suggestion for zeroing is to get the turret set up so you've got a full ~26 MRAD of rotation available and then rotate it to ~13 to start. Scope is otherwise performing well, albeit the RFB is hardly a precision platform...

Last edited:
OK, I finally managed to get my Tango4 4-16x (DEV-L MRAD) out to the range, riding my Kel-Tec RFB. In a funny coincidence, I also had my 6.5 Grendel bolt gun with Tango6 3-18x (DEV-L MOA). Now, I had a malfunction with my mount that kept me from zeroing it (the ADM mount was being canted upwards by my front BUIS), but I did manage to make some hands-on with it.

It's not as clear as the Tango6. I could easily tell the difference, even at 100yds. You'd sort of expect this, the Tango6 is like 3-4x the price of the Tango4. I don't know if this makes sense, but I had more trouble distinguishing holes from the reticle with the Tango4 than the Tango6, and I don't think 16x vs 18x was the difference.

The turrets... ugh, I have such mixed feelings about them. The clicks and rotation counter are OK, they're not mushy. Integrating the zero stop so you always stop at zero seems genius in theory, but the reality is that there are sometimes situations where you might not really want that (eg, integrating offsets for different ammo). But lack of locking absolutely sucks. I know, the PST Gen II doesn't have locking turret, so some marketing guy at Sig decided to shave a few bucks of production costs, but it simply wasn't a great decision. The counter-point to all this is that the Tango6's zero stop is a real PITA to set, so I think maybe Sig still has some engineering work in general to do on this front.

Parallax only goes down to 50yds. The Tango6 does to 25. I don't know if this really matters to anyone. Side adjust parallax was quite nice, though. Also enjoyed the built-in throw lever, enough so that I was wishing for it on the Tango6.

I'm happy so far. We'll see how it holds up in terms of durability. The RFB is not a particularly hard kicking platform, but it's still 308.
Yea I have both the Tango 4 and Tango 6 with magnification topping out at 24x. The tango 6 reticle is much crisper and the optics are definitely better, but those are both unfair comparisons. They are different tier scopes. The tango 4 compared to a vortex viper, I'd take the tango.

OK, I finally managed to get my Tango4 4-16x (DEV-L MRAD) out to the range, riding my Kel-Tec RFB. In a funny coincidence, I also had my 6.5 Grendel bolt gun with Tango6 3-18x (DEV-L MOA). Now, I had a malfunction with my mount that kept me from zeroing it (the ADM mount was being canted upwards by my front BUIS), but I did manage to get some hands-on with it.

ETA: 1/1/2021: my second attempt at zeroing still was like 8" high at 50yds. I spent some time trying to diagnose this, and it turns out that what I _thought_ was the bottom of the turret's rotation was not quite the bottom at all! Apparently, when you get to the halfway mark, you run into some real resistance (or I did), and you have to power through a bit. This was not a zero stop issue, the cap was still on like "5" at this point. My suggestion for zeroing is to get the turret set up so you've got a full ~26 MRAD of rotation available and then rotate it to ~13 to start. Scope is otherwise performing well, albeit the RFB is hardly a precision platform...
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone in the future wanting to zero this tango 4 gen2. I found it easier to take off the turrets and zero your scope using a dime for making the adjustments needed. Then place the turret back on once confirmed.

Now, if you want a little (roughly .5 mils impact down) adjustment instead of complete zero stop. Float the turret a hair or as needed instead of bottoming the turret down to the scope body and then tighten the set screws. It might take a little messing around with, but it does work that way. I learned this from a Sig sauer rep a couple years ago.

erwos, if I’m not mistaken they have the “lockdown” locking system on the turrets correct ? You have to pull them up from zero and can dial from there but if you’re dialed up you can’t lock in that elevation ? I hope so cause I just ordered one to put on a coyote 223 and that’s how I interpreted it !

Tango4 4-16 vs SWFA 3-15? Who's run both?
I’ve had the SWFA and it was great . Glass was pretty clear, maybe not edge to edge clarity. Tracking was 100% and very rugged. Sold it to get an XRS II and that thing is amazing.

will have the tango 4 in a week or so I’ll let you know !

I had the 6-25 Gen 2. The turrets reminds a lot like the xtr2. Both made in the Philippines. (Hmm….)
It was limited to 17 mils total travel, it wasn’t enough for what I needed.
Decent scope for the money you can get them for now.

Reactions: Dgtrnr
Sorry for the late reply. The turrets are not locking. They do have a configurable zero stop. My understanding is that the locking turrets went away after the first gen Tango4 release. Personally, I'd appreciate locking turrets a lot more than a zero stop...

I have 2 gen 1. A 4-16 and 6-24. I think the glass is great for what it is. The turrets are ok and I love the zero lock down. I was considering buying a new one because I like the DEV-L, but I’m hesitant because they removed the zero lock down. I have the zero lock down set for my suppressed zero and the zero stop set for un suppressed.