• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sig Tango4 vs Vortex Strike Eagle

Which scope for my entry in PRS / long range shooting?

• Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 Mrad EBR7-c

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Sig Sauer Tango 4 6-24x50mm Mrad - D-lev

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReachMedic

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2020
Alright, I have tried to narrow down my choice for my first scope/rifle setup while getting into this long range scene. I had a buddy ask me to partner with him for some team classes and probably some PRS events. I am new on this side of things. While the platform choice changes by the hour, I have the glass down to really two choices:

The new Vortex Strike Eagle … I like the 34mm tube, massive elevation (when used without the stop), and the company itself (VIP warranty). The PST gen2 was on the list but price has just bumped it off unless it can really out shine the Sig or Eagle for the extra money.

Sig Tango 4 - It can be found for so much cheaper and seems to hold a good comparison to the PST g2

I can get a Sig Tango4 6-24x50 Mrad, with D-lev for under $580 to door and I will be paying the normal street price $699 +tax on the Vortex.

So my main question is what is you guys professional opinion? Any trouble with the Sig line? Is the Vortex worth the extra money? From my research these should be dead even except for a few bells and whistles. The savings would go towards more ammo in the long run and make setup cost more enjoyable, but only if the Sig performs as well.

Here is my thoughts on the setup

Platform: Bolt gun : most likely a Bergara B-14 HMR but the Ruger, Savage, & TC LRR are in the mix (the Bergara seems like a solid entry under $1000 which is why it is winning) I expect to shot this first platform for at least two years before any further upgrades... just ammo and training and fun

Cartridge: 6.5 creedmoor is my first choice but my buddy shoots 308 so I may just match him to keep things simple and that would help in bulk orders
We should be shooting daylight, out to 1000 yards or so and in multiple conditions of weather and shooting position.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
I'd say Strike Eagle for the same reason I'm looking at getting one for my trainer: it's the same basic layout and feature set as the G2 Razor, which is on my long range rifle. Quality and feel are less but the turret design (locking, size, etc) is roughly the same and if you go with the EBR-7c reticle it IS the same.

Pretty much everyone and their mom uses a Vortex Razor G2 in PRS. If you really enjoy it and go to upgrade your glass, you'll likely go to one of those. There won't be any learning curve going from the Strike Eagle to the Razor, it'll just feel like a super upgraded version of the SE.

I can get a Sig Tango4 6-24x50 Mrad, with D-lev for under $580 to door and I will be paying the normal street price $699 +tax on the Vortex.

There are currently 2 open-box ones on eBay for under $400 and another under $500. Or you can give Scott at Liberty Optics a call, or Doug at Cameraland. You shouldn't have to pay $700 for the Strike Eagle if you look even a little bit. I'd call the price between the two even.

Reactions: ReachMedic
Alright, I have tried to narrow down my choice for my first scope/rifle setup while getting into this long range scene. I had a buddy ask me to partner with him for some team classes and probably some PRS events. I am new on this side of things. While the platform choice changes by the hour, I have the glass down to really two choices:

The new Vortex Strike Eagle … I like the 34mm tube, massive elevation (when used without the stop), and the company itself (VIP warranty). The PST gen2 was on the list but price has just bumped it off unless it can really out shine the Sig or Eagle for the extra money.

Sig Tango 4 - It can be found for so much cheaper and seems to hold a good comparison to the PST g2

So my main question is what is you guys professional opinion? Any trouble with the Sig line? Is the Vortex worth the extra money? From my research these should be dead even except for a few bells and whistles. The savings would go towards more ammo in the long run and make setup cost more enjoyable, but only if the Sig performs as well.

Here is my thoughts on the setup

Platform: Bolt gun : most likely a Bergara B-14 HMR but the Ruger, Savage, & TC LRR are in the mix (the Bergara seems like a solid entry under $1000 which is why it is winning) I expect to shot this first platform for at least two years before any further upgrades... just ammo and training and fun

Cartridge: 6.5 creedmoor is my first choice but my buddy shoots 308 so I may just match him to keep things simple and that would help in bulk orders
We should be shooting daylight, out to 1000 yards or so and in multiple conditions of weather and shooting position.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Medic, check around if you are mil, ret, vet or first responder., the SE can be had for under 480.00.. There are sellers on here who give the discount

Hey Guy's, Thanks but I am not Mil or LEO... I am a former Civi-Paramedic and my wife is a nurse but we just got back into the states from a year+ missions trip to PNG... so neither are current "first responders"

However it does look like the Vortex SE is the way people are leaning and really me too, I just like saving money which is not conducive to this setting.

Up front, I haven't used a Strike Eagle on any rifle I've owned so I can't compare the two, but I'll give you my impressions of the Sig Tango4 6-24x50. I had the Sig on my Savage 12FV for about 18 months, and it is now my backup scope (replaced with an Optika6 5-30x56). It's been a good scope for me for the price and I haven't had any problems or failues. There's lots to like about it and a only a few minor complaints (but given the price they can be had for they're really more of a wish list).

• Really decent glass. Appears to resolve well and exhibits minimal distortion to my eye. I had no problem spotting my own 6.5 groups at 200 yards and hits on steel out past 500. I do see a little chromatic aberration at high power that becomes more pronounced as you move off optical center, but it's really not bad at all for scope in this range. Color seems a touch warm to my eye with pretty good rendition and decent contrast. No complaints with the glass in this tier of scope.
  • The DEV-L reticle is, IMO, a great design and is one of the strengths of this optic. The lines are fine with a small center dot, and the tree doesn't get in the way. I'm a fan of this design.
  • Overall I like the turrets. The clicks are good IMO, but a little different - tactile and audible but somewhat subdued or "softened" with "deep" detents. They are well spaced with very little play in between clicks, and easy to hit your count without overrunning. I like the lock-at-zero system where the turret "clicks" in at zero and then must be lifted to move above or below (left or right for windage). Zero stop system is bit fiddly but it works fine. They also have an interesting and usable rev indicator and good markings (in a small font).
  • Fit and finish is great. It feels solid and everything moves with just about the right amount of resistance (again, IMO). The knurling is super-extra-grippy and very clean. I like the gray color, myself. I like the use of fiber optic rods in the power ring also, very easy to spot from behind the scope.
  • The illumination does this thing where it turns off after 5 minutes of motionlessness and then turns back on when it detects motion again. Saves battery if you forget that you left it on when you go downrange or start jaw-jacking with your buddies. That feature seems to work fine, but if you spend a long time waiting out the wind or something you might find that your illumination has turned off. I think it's cool, but opinions vary.

Gripes:
  • Eyebox feels pretty tight as you approach max power. It's certainly usable, but you have to be careful with body mechanics if you're running it at higher mag.
  • FOV feels a little constricted at max power to me. It's not bad by any means, but it's not remarkably great either. Probably I'm spoiled to the 34mm optics.
  • There's a lot of "scope ring" visible around the sight picture. It kind of feels like you're looking down the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels.
  • 5 mil turrets aren't my favorite. They are perfectly usable, I just prefer 10 mil turrets.
  • I get about 16.5 mils of elevation adjustment from mine. Sig says 15 mils. That's not as much as other competitors get from the 30mm tube.
  • Sig doesn't sell a sunshade or give the thread specs for one. I found that the Vortex 50mm one for the Viper line works on this scope (I took a chance since both optics are sourced from the Philippines, and it appears I was right).
Overall I don't have any real issues with the scope for the price I paid (~ $600), but I would expect a few improvements from an optic at the price they were originally asking (~ $1K+). On paper the Vortex looks better to me, as it should since it's a newer design, but without spending much time behind one I can't make a fair comparison. Based on my experience, I wouldn't steer anyone away from the Sig if you like the reticle and the styling and the price is right. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Strike Eagle has a way better field of view and eye box.
hands down a better optic.

I voted for the Tango4 because there's no way I'm buying Chinese stuff if I have even semi-viable alternatives, but I do think that the Strike Eagle is currently the better scope overall. I suspect Sig is prepping for an optics line-up refresh based on how I've seen some of their pricing, so a Tango4 Gen III or Tango5 might present a better value (albeit not at the $400 pricing we're seeing currently).

I just bought a Strike Eagle last week. It's going on a trainer.
It's frighteningly good for "inexpensive" Chinese glass.
Good in all aspects. Clear glass, no detectable distortion (still need to put a grid in front of it) , very positive detents and nice locking turrets. Zero stop is a breeze.
I'm tempted to shoot it in a local match, on a known rifle, to see how it performs with my brain.

I voted for the Tango4 because there's no way I'm buying Chinese stuff if I have even semi-viable alternatives, but I do think that the Strike Eagle is currently the better scope overall. I suspect Sig is prepping for an optics line-up refresh based on how I've seen some of their pricing, so a Tango4 Gen III or Tango5 might present a better value (albeit not at the $400 pricing we're seeing currently).
Where is the Sig tango 4 made?

Sig.

Philippines vs China.

Same warranty.

10 mil turrets.

I love my Tango4. The glass isn’t like that of a high end scope but it’s very serviceable. It’s reasonably robust for the intended use cases, holds zero and tracks well. The DEV-L reticle is also pretty nice if you don’t mind it being a little busy.

I would go for the PST Viper Gen 2 and just buy a lightly used one in the PX here. There are two in the right now for $700 shipped for the 5x25x50. Then you are getting better glass for the same price. Just my opinion though

I bought a strike eagle and sold it the next month, You'll be disappointed if you are used to quality glasses. went ahead and bought me an accupower. the Accupower has a better glass clarity.