• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sig Tango6 2-12 discontinued?

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
I just purchased in the Optics Exchange a Sig Tango6 2-12 optic, and while doing research on it, I found a couple of things:

1) There aren't very many reviews of the 2-12 that I can find
2) It looks like the 2-12 has been discontinued (at least the mil version, if not the MOA version)

Does anyone know why? Is it just not a big seller for them, or...? I bought it to go on a 16" hunter-weight Grendel AR, and it seems like it'll be a pretty good fit for that application. As I previously mentioned, I couldn't find many reviews or other information about them which leads me to believe that it's just not a popular product rather than a troubled one.

I don't believe that the 2-12 has been discontinued, as I can still find that scope online from distributors. Sig's website shows that both MOA/Mil versions are available as well. I believe the popularity of the 3-18 probably keeps the 2-12 as much less popular.

I don't believe that the 2-12 has been discontinued, as I can still find that scope online from distributors. Sig's website shows that both MOA/Mil versions are available as well. I believe the popularity of the 3-18 probably keeps the 2-12 as much less popular.

Interesting... I thought that at least the Mil version had been discontinued because it's not on the Sig Optics website, and when searching Google for the part number I see some vendors showing it as discontinued: http://www.eurooptic.com/sig-sauer-...lling-illuminated-glass-reticle-sot62002.aspx

I see the more "magnification has to be better" syndrome is still going strong. And that's too bad, because Sig's 2-12x40mm is about ideal for an all-around AR15 platform or hunting platform. Field of view of 53 ft @2x on the bottom end about obviates the need for a side mounted red dot, and 12x on the top end maximizes the full effective range of the 223/5.56mm and most hunting cartridges. Oh, well....

I see the more "magnification has to be better" syndrome is still going strong. And that's too bad, because Sig's 2-12x40mm is about ideal for an all-around AR15 platform or hunting platform. Field of view of 53 ft @2x on the bottom end about obviates the need for a side mounted red dot, and 12x on the top end maximizes the full effective range of the 223/5.56mm and most hunting cartridges. Oh, well....

I'll be honest, I am usually in the "more is better" camp when it comes to both magnification and objective size, but I'm really trying to limit the weight on this build (within reason; no hyper-exotic parts have been used). The original plan was for a Trijicon 1-8, but I came to realize that my odds of actually leaving the optic on 1x are slim, and I can certainly use the extra magnification up top; aside from that, the Sig 2-12 is "only" 5 ounces heavier than the Trijicon.

I'm really looking forward to playing with this optic, as it'll be my first experience with both the Tango6 line and an optic in this power range.

I almost couldn't resist buying the scope so I'm glad you did. You got a steal on it. I have a couple of the Tango 6 scopes and like them a lot. I always find myself wishing for more magnification too so I can't criticize that.

It has been discontinued from what I've been told. I have a 2-12 and like it. The glass is nice and I like the simple reticle although some might find it a little thick, which I believe they changed it this year. The illumination is fantastic as well. I wish the turret had a more "clicky" feel but they are decent.

I still have it but replaced it for an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 as I too wanted more magnification as my eyes aren't as good as they once were and it gives me a wider range to play with.

Last edited:
I keep feeling the draw toward Sig optics, but their product line has changed how many times in the last 2 years? I understand the need to make revisions and trim the fat, but it's almost getting to the point that it's hard to be sure which scopes they actually make....

I keep feeling the draw toward Sig optics, but their product line has changed how many times in the last 2 years? I understand the need to make revisions and trim the fat, but it's almost getting to the point that it's hard to be sure which scopes they actually make....

I hear ya, and generally have the same feeling... if I had to guess, some of it is that they're trying to find their niche/place in the market. Another part of it may be business-related... it's one thing to be a dedicated optics company and have the execs understand that it will take some time to gain traction/brand recognition; it's another thing to be a separate business unit of a larger, established company where the execs may not necessarily be 100% committed to giving the product line the time it needs to mature in the marketplace.

I will say that I have an appreciation for what Sig is trying to do... be a one-stop shop for shooting solutions: gun, ammo, optic, and suppressor. I can see that holding a LOT of appeal for the various agencies around the country/world; either the solution works, or it doesn't. You deal with one company/rep to order the whole kit, and if there's a problem there's no finger pointing or other bullshit; you make one phone call to say that something broke, and there's no question that it is that company's problem to resolve. That said, single-sourcing always has the potential to bite you in the ass if things go sideways for whatever reason in the business relationship.

Yep, I agree as well. I think that they are 90% there with their Tango 6 scopes. The glass is good, made in Japan and the have some really nice features. If they could get the turrets down, there close but not as clicky as I like, and settle in, I think they'll sell more. They sure don't advertise their scopes, maybe because they are changing them as much as they are, but it is for the better.
I like mine and would buy another if I found a good deal on a 6-24 black version, which is like a unicorn.