• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sig556 add-on advice

Eiebrius

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Texas!!
I need some help deciding on a good stock and optics for my sig... I have an NC Star P3 sniper scope on it right now but the scope won't keep it's zero ( haha I was warned that you get what you pay for)... It's a 3-9x42 Any suggestions would be appreciated, keep in mind though the wifey is not into guns so good pricing with quality equipment is what I'll need!
Thanks in advance!
Btw are CAA stocks any good?

Re: Sig556 add-on advice

Not surprised you have had bad experiences withthe NC Star. I have never owned any of their stuff but I havent heard anything positive about them. If you need an affordable scope that isnt total crap look at the Vortex products. I have been pleased with their stuff so far.

As for the stock. I dont know how many options you have for the SIG platform. CAA tends to not hold up, and they just went out of business if I recall.

EDIT-- I see that the SIGS have two stock types. If you have the folding stock I am not sure what options you will have. If you have a standard M4 type colapsable stock then you should be able to use any stock, provided it is the proper size for your buffer tube (commercial or milspec). If you have colapseable stock look at the MAGPUL stuff.

Thanks guys! I'm in Amarillo... I think I like the VLTOR stocks I'm just trying to decide which one is right now. And I'll check out the vortex scopes too.

questions are: what's your budget? how far do you plan on shooting? is this for target shooting? hunting? are you sure you want a scope? how about a red dot or eotech/aimpoint with magnifier?

as far as the stock goes, you can't go wrong with Magpul PRS, UBR or CTR.

I say the most important part is to figure out what you want to do with your rifle and go from there. Figure out what kind of look/feel you're after. Be a little more detailed and provide more info.

I have Magpul MOEs on both my Sig 556 SWATs. If yours came with the folder (as mine did), you can switch to an AR tube-style stock if you want with the addition of a buffer tube adapter (Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply). The tube stock will still be folding if you want it to be, or you can prevent it from folding by putting in the extra pin.

Budget on the optics and how you intend to use it will help with some answers. Magpul makes nice stuff and the MOE stock should serve you well. I prefer to pay a few bucks more for the CTR for the locking feature but it is not a necessity. I also like the VLTOR stocks, the cheek rests make it more comfortable for shooting with optics.

For about $200 you can get a Bushnell 10x fixed power Mil Dot scope which I find to be one of the best bargains out there for a quality scope. That's if 10x fixed scope will meet your needs/expectations. This is where some info from you will help. Some people find $200 to be a budget price and some think $600 is budget priced. So what budget you have and what your expectations are will help a great deal. I have heard good things about Vortex from others but have no first hand experience. Weaver has some decent scopes in the $300 range as well.

Don't really want to suggest optics unless it's a Eotech XPS or Aimpoint, high mag to me for this particular gun is pointless. due to the skinny barrel, long stroke gas piston and 1:7 barrel. 55 gr patterns are 4"-6", going with heavier bullets (69-77)will bring it down to around 3" @ 100yrds. Using a high manification scope will only frustrate you seeing the pattern (not groups). I called Sig on the accuracy and they said it's within spec (3"@100 yards... what ever happend to 1.5" @100 yards as advertised early when the rifle first came out).

Stocks:
I did change mine over to the CTR stock though a better option is the UBR stock the weight balance the gun out, I would stick to the Diopter sights and Sig fixed. I have hae samson on mine but had to settle on a AR BUIS.

Other than that, enjoy the gun, very well designed and clean shooting, probably the best 223 AK pattern rifle you will ever own. Very reliable and well made.. you just have to sacrifice on the accuracy

Sig 551 handguards and a Magpul CTR stock made a world of difference on my Sig 556. I found the Konus M30 scope a good reliable alternative to the high price spread.