• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sight advice needed

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
To start off, I am new to AR15 rifles, so I do not have any experience with them or what type of sights would be best suited to use.I mainly shoot and compete in long range shooting, but I decided to get a Daniel Defense rifle with a 7 twist ,16" barrel, before the communist state I live in passes new legistlation restricting more of my rights. I will be using the rifle to mainly shoot steel from 50-400 yards in the desert and was wandering what type of sight system works best for that purpose. I was wandering if an acog scope, or 1-4 or 1-6 power scope would be best suited. Would a red dot system work, or are they for close quarters only? Thank you in advance and any input is appreciated. On a different note, what type of dies would you recommend for reloading, bushing or non bushing? I also read that some people use small base dies.

DS.

I'm not an enormous ACOG fan on an AR unless it's the models with the 3.5MOA RMR on top (I hope I remember the dot size) simply because the 4x magnification isn't what I want up close, BUT if you're doing mostly static type shooting and not a ton of run and gun at varying ranges from VERY close to the distances mentioned it's not a bad option.
I like the 1-4 or 1-6 options if you can find a versatile reticle. I used a Leupold CQT overseas and it was versatile in that I could use it both eyes open on 1x similar to a dot sight or could put a little magnification on it when necessary, the drawback to the CQT I had was that the dot was WAY too big. There's now a number of manufacturers making scopes in that mag range that should offer you all the zoom you need to 400 (open sights "work" out to at least 600 and longer so any mag is ahead of the game) while still offering a good reticle that's useful up close and at range.
I would NOT go with a dot sight (eotech/aimpoint) at that range simply because you're going to run into issues of the dot being too big at that distance OR the difficulty of adjusting your point of aim rapidly (exception would be the Eotech 556 model which I've never tried) but you're still going to need an expensive add-on magnifier.
I refrained from offering specific suggestions because there's a pretty wide range in price and you didn't mention a budget but Leupold and Nightforce are both making some nice AR scopes that would serve your needs well. I think Vortex is making one also but I can't keep up.
The Exchange here would be a great place to browse some options.

I own a TA-31F ACOG and while I like its ruggedness and reliability, I would rather have a good quality 1-6X in a throw lever mount.
The ACOG does have excellent optics and is built like a tank. However, it has very very little eye relief, is fixed on 4X, and not ideal to use close up or indoors.

If you got the cash I have a Swarovski Z6i 1x-6x brt scope that is awesome, it is a true 1x magnification which means at point blank you can use the 1x just like a red dot scope and if you want to reach out to 600 yards you just throw the lever over to 6x and shoot away. But if you don't have the cash there are other options like a Razor or Leupold or ect. But bottom line is it is nice to have the option to do that where as a ACOG is a set magnification.

I put my money on a USO 1-8X back in January. I hope I chose right. Its now just a matter of waiting.

Im shooting an LMT CQB with 1/7 chrome lined. With BUIS it is plenty accurate. I'm thinking the high end of the magnification will come in useful based on what I have seen so far with 77 grain Nosler CC's.

I would get a 2.5 to 10 scope if all you are doing is slapping steel and punching holes in paper. Will give you the best of both worlds without being too big. It really is all about purpose. Fast and quick = low power or red dot..... More precise and small groups = higher power scope.

This is just my opinion, and the op said up to 400yards, but my 1-4 vortex pst dot covers an entire 6" circle at 300yards at full max 4x power, and im sure it would cover an 8inch circle at 400yards easy.... That would drive my ass crazy but then again im sure many on here would say im crazy also. Dont get me wrong, i love my red dot and 1-4power vortex up to about 200yards and then after 200yards i wish i was shooting my 4-16x vortex once i hit 300yards plus. I cant stand shooting my red dot past 200yards. Just my 2cent. Btw, with that twist your barrel will like a heavier bullet = longer ranges.

Let the flaming begin! Yeah!

Last edited:
I'd just echo what everyone has said- variable magnification is available to you, so go that route if you can afford it. Some options:

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x
Vortex Razor HD 1-6x
Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x
Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x
Leupold Mark6 1-6x
Weaver Tactical 1-5x
SWFA SS 1-4x
SWFA SS 1-6x
Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x
Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5x
US Optics SR6 DFP 1.5x/6x
US Optics SR-8 1-8x
Steiner Military Tactical 1-5x
Trijicon VCOG 1-6x
Kahles K16i 1-6x

Just to name a few..

1-4 or 1-6 would get my vote. Preferably the 1-6.
I have a 2.5-10 on my Maten and it does well out to 800+. I also have a set of offset sights for closer shots.
I full length size my brass. Your rifle will tell you if you need a small base die. In my opinion SB will overwork the brass. Set your FL die to bump the shoulder 0.003 to 0.004 and roll with it.