• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Sighting in an AR for the first time

30calDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
North Idaho
What method are you guys using to sight in your AR? Me and my Pops were talking and he is used to the old school method regarding bolt guns. Is my only option to buy a laser bore sight tool? I am supposed to go to the range on Sunday but it will be a waste shooting all my match ammo if I cant get on target. What do you guys recommend? This is using my new Vortex 1-6x HD in a Spuhr mount on a LWRC REPR.

Re: Sighting in an AR for the first time

if you have a good shooting bag (rest) take the lower off, then remove the bolt carrier. Hold the AR steady and line up the bore with the target at 100 yds. then reference the scope. move the reticle to match the bore sight you have. centering the target in the bore and then moving the reticle to center of the target while maintaining a good steady hold will get you on paper. from there put the AR together and refine your groups to where you want them on the target. i use that method to get me close at 100, then zero the scope at 200. i use a graduated reticle that pretty much matches my loads out to 600. i hope this helps.

start at 25m then out 100m, just remember with a 25m initial zero you'll print high at 100m appx 5" so you can adjust down to compensate. Then it's really up to you what distance you really want to zero at. I would also recommend only doing two shot groups to get you where you need.

Perfect! Thats is exactly what I am looking for. This is why I frequent the Hide, for quality posts like this one.

Start short just to get it on paper and in your objective at about 25-50yds and then move back to get your zero.

Have tried taking the lower off before but in my experience, not nearly as easy as it is with a bolt gun. A simple nudge can throw you completely off if your upper isn't stable enough

Personally, I have never really been a fan of laser bore-sights, because who knows just how straight the laser is aligned.

Leupold bore sight or big target at 50 yards

One shot is all you need at short yardage to determine how much to crank the turrets.

"Groups" are not necessary until you get to range.

Once you get your boresight and sit down at the bench, here are two things that can help you quickly get "on paper" so you can spend your shots/time getting dialed in. So many times I have seen one or two folks sit down and waste 3/4 of a box of ammo w/ no idea where they are hitting. Using one of these methods, you should easily get onto paper in 2-6 shots; then start fine tuning... Try these two tips.

1) Shoot dirt. Most ranges have some kind of berm right behind the target backers. If it is dirt (instead of tires or wood or some fancy bullet stopper material), all the better. Pick out (or place) some easily visible target in the lower 1/3 of the berm. Anything will do from a bright leaf, to a white rock, a spare clay pigeon, soda bottle, sticky note, whatever. You need to SEE it from the bench, and so does your SPOTTER. Take a shot at it. you may not see where you hit; but your spotter should. Adjust the scope to get in the ballpark and take a second shot. Once you're close to your target in the dirt, switch to your paper sight in target.

2) Shoot BIG paper before you move to your fancy sight in targets. Some ranges go berserk if you try that first method; so shoot BIG paper. Lots of folks have those big rolls of craft paper (either because they have kids, butcher deer, or around us - eat lots of steamed crabs). Put a good 4' x 6' sheet of that on the backer, and put a little target (sticky note works fine) to aim at. You can also paste up your fancy rifle sight in target once you're in the vicinity of your target... If you don't have craft paper, swipe a roll of the wife's gift wrapping paper, and use that (white or non-printed side). Again, let your spotter help figure out where you're hitting if you're not on paper immediately.