• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Sighting in my LWTS

bikeracer

Formerly Robb57
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2011
I was finally able to get time to sight in my new-ish LWTS that I bought a few weeks ago at MHSA. Apologies for my ignorance - is there any reason why I can’t sight in during daylight hours? I started on paper - in the foreground - and then went to steel - the two plates in the background are 4” and 6”.

Attachments

• EC890F06-C908-4F0C-A78A-0FBAC7549695.jpeg
    EC890F06-C908-4F0C-A78A-0FBAC7549695.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 52
  • D0A8E8BC-252B-499E-A307-0CC52B5C4E66.jpeg
    D0A8E8BC-252B-499E-A307-0CC52B5C4E66.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: deersniper
No reason at all, I zeroed mine in daylight. You will typically get better contrast on standard black and white targets in good sunlight since the black portions of the target heat up a bit more than the plain white paper. Congrats on your purchase, they are great scopes. The controls are just so well thought out and yow that sexy image :p

Thanks. Yeah I was really pleased with how well the reticle tracked. The UI on the menu systems is so straightforward too. Next I will try it with a day scope - likely a NF ATACR 1-8.

Got the LWTS sighted in with my NF 2x10 - 24. Was surprised how easy this was to do.

Attachments

• 319C6AC6-EB62-40E1-97AC-9EF8FB9F04DC.jpeg
    319C6AC6-EB62-40E1-97AC-9EF8FB9F04DC.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 3C4D852E-0033-4F7B-8F12-E8265B3D2113.jpeg
    3C4D852E-0033-4F7B-8F12-E8265B3D2113.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 34
Did you do anything other than mount it in front of the day scope?

Maybe he meant he was measuring the POI shift? If so, I did the same thing when I got mine. Aside from the tiny vertical offset caused by the periscope design, the POI shift was negligible. Great scopes, I loved mine.

Maybe he meant he was measuring the POI shift? If so, I did the same thing when I got mine. Aside from the tiny vertical offset caused by the periscope design, the POI shift was negligible. Great scopes, I loved mine.

Reason I ask is I am experiencing a substantial impact shift with mine. I’m assuming it’s something simple, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

Well, it does look like with the LWTS in front of the NF I am about 1/2 mil high - is this typical? I double checked the NF and it’s spot on. I do need to get back and double check the LWTS as a dedicated unit - I think it was also a bit high - I had to hold low but I don’t know by how much because the manual doesn’t have any info on the M4/M16 reticle. Any ideas?

Well, it does look like with the LWTS in front of the NF I am about 1/2 mil high - is this typical? I double checked the NF and it’s spot on. I do need to get back and double check the LWTS as a dedicated unit - I think it was also a bit high - I had to hold low but I don’t know by how much because the manual doesn’t have any info on the M4/M16 reticle. Any ideas?

Mine is more like 5 moa

Ok - so about 1.5 mils. I could be a 1 mil high - I was back on the bottom of the 6’” plate about a third of the way up to center by dialing .5 down but it started snowing so I stopped.

is this a typical or a known issue?

Mine is more like 5 moa

Ok - so about 1.5 mils. I could be a 1 mil high - I was back on the bottom of the 6’” plate about a third of the way up to center by dialing .5 down but it started snowing so I stopped.

is this a typical or a known issue?

No. Normally they are with in 1 moa or .3-.4 mills. I’ve been back and forth emailing l3 the last few days. I’ll let you know what I come up with.

Is it possible that the reticle has to be zeroed in dedicated mode in order for the thermal to be POI aligned in clip-on mode even though the reticle isn’t in use?

I zeroed the reticle in NFOV or 3X which means that the center dot is 300 yds. but I’m zeroing at 100 yds. I had a tough time zeroing at WFOV/1X.

Is it possible that the reticle has to be zeroed in dedicated mode in order for the thermal to be POI aligned in clip-on mode even though the reticle isn’t in use?

I zeroed the reticle in NFOV or 3X which means that the center dot is 300 yds. but I’m zeroing at 100 yds. I had a tough time zeroing at WFOV/1X.

Are you talking about zeroing the lwts as a stand-alone scope or you moving the lwts reticle to line up with the reticle in your day optic?

Are you talking about zeroing the lwts as a stand-alone scope or you moving the lwts reticle to line up with the reticle in your day optic?

Sorry I should have been more clear - I’m talking about how zeroing the LWTS in stand-alone might effect how this impacts POI in clip-on mode. When you set it to clip-on mode the reticle goes away and I’m using the day scope reticle. But I’m still wondering if even though there’s not a reticle in view zeroing still matters - because could explain why I’m off by 1 mil in clip on mode.

From what I understand the reticle moves on the screen when you sight it in so the adjustments are not relevant to your poi when used in clip on mode with a day optic.