• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron 20x42 mmd fixed power any reviews?

heavies

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Hawaii
I'm on a tight budget right now and I need a new scope for my target rifle. I am considering the Sightron fixed power 20x42 siii with the modified mil reticule.
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?ac...at_id=6&id=153

Anyone out there have this particular scope and have any comparisons to say a Leupold mkiv optically? Any cons that have been encountered?

I have seen some reviews that this scope is as bright, if not brighter, than the Leupold.
Furthermore, I can't seem to find any cons to this or any other sightron optic.
I will be using this scope for 300-600 f-class.
Thank you for your input.
B

Re: Sightron 20x42 mmd fixed power any reviews?

Any body have any other siii's they can compare to a mk iv?
Like the variable power siii's and the leupold set at 20x?
Lighter, darker, cloudy, not as sharp?
Thanks

I can say that my SIII was just as sharp as a 6.5-20 Mark 4, that I compared it side-by-side to. Mine is the 6-24 mil-dot.

I would imagine the fixed power model would look equally impressive!

I have the 16x42 S3,its a little daker than some leupolds that I have but it has a very sharp image

Sweet.
I was looking for opinions and I could find only good reviews on siii's.
I picked one up and it's on it's way.
Hope it's worth the $500+
thanks
B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavies</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet.
I was looking for opinions and I could find only good reviews on siii's.
I picked one up and it's on it's way.
Hope it's worth the $500+
thanks
B </div></div>

If its not worth the $500 plus I'd be very surprised honestly. Let us know what you think!

the optics are superb but the turrets are WAY too loose. you can put it in a case and get it back out without the zero shifting SIGNIFICANTLY. i only have experience with my 10x but i assume they are all this way.

chuck

Chuck,
Thanks for the heads up I will have to be carful about those turrets.
How do you like those .5 mil hash marks. Does it make is easier to range and hold off?

I too was looking into the SIII 10x42. I talked to someone who was doing a review on it for another forum. He was disappointed in comparison to other SIII's, but it is still a pretty good buy. I opted for the Vortex Viper 6.5x20 w/ mildot as the reticle is true at 12x. I'm going to miss the modified-mildot reticle w/ the half mil hashes on the SIII though.

If you wouldn't mind reporting back once you have the scope, that would be great.

Mark

Sure, as soon as I get it this week, mount it and take it to the range I'll give an honest opinion on it. I'll try and get out this weekend if work allows.

I've had my eye on these scopes for awhile and took the chance to review them rrecently when the UK distributor was at Bisley. I want the scope mainly for McQueens but also for some pest control. When purchased it will be fitted to my .223 Rem 700 LTR.

Initially I looked through the 10x scope and found that was pretty good with a good picture all round and reasonably positive clicks but I wanted more power. The 16x wasnt available so I had a look instead at the 20x and the difference is marked.

You don't get something for nothing and this is shown at a side by side comparison. the 20x is has a darker picture than the 10x, only to be expected I might add, but the main difference is that the eye relief is a lot more difficult to get right on the 20x.

I was still thinking of going for the 20x scope at that stage but something a mate pointed out disuaded me. The field of view is a bit tight at 6.5 feet at 100 yards.

You asked for a comparison to Leups, and I must be honest and say I havent had a look through a Leup recently so cannot give you an honest answer, but have to admit that I am getting to the stage where I am starting to believe that you get what you pay for.

I recently purchased a SB PMII 5-25x56 and am in love with this scope. Yes, it does cost three times what I might have paid for the Sightron, but I consider that money well spent. So much so, in fact, that I am thinking of purchasing a SB -16 for the Remmie, now.

i felt the optics were AT LEAST as good as my variable sIII's and the reticle is awsome. i just pray sightron will start using this reticle in the 6-24. if you can be very careful with the turrets, you WILL NOT be dissappointed in the optics.

chuck

I have the 16X version and love it. Its as bright as any of my Leupolds. It passed the box test with no trouble. I can't pseak for the 20X but I will be in the market for a 10X soon.

Well here we go.
I took my new Siii 20x42 out this weekend and shot it side by side with my brother's mkiv leupold. With the leupold set at 20x the siii was just slightly darker but seemed to be just as crisp. It was kind of hard to get the focus just right at 100yrds but further out at 200 and 300 the siii picture seemed to be easier to focus right. The turrets are kind of easy to turn but the clicks are very crisp. I got zeroed up at 100 then dialed up for a steel plate at 200, banged that a couple times, next dialed in 300 hit that plate a few times, then back to 100 yrd zero right on the money.
Mil dots with the half hash marks looked clean. I used them to hold off at 200 and 300 and they seemed to be accurate.
All in all I didn't get to do too much testing today though.
Is it worth the money? I'm not sure yet. I want to use it in our next f-class outing to make up my mind.
B

Last update..
I took the Sightron SIII 20x42 fixed power out yesterday to a practice match and got to shoot at 200, 500, 600 yards.
I can say that I was impressed by this little scope.
I did not get a chance to rezero after mounting the scope to my rifle, and with a quick bore sight, I was able to get on the X ring in three rounds. The 1/4 moa clicks were very precise. I then proceeded to murder the spotter at that distance. I could see it very easily and had no trouble knocking it through the target board. At 500 X ring and spotter was still very clear and had no trouble holding many X's and ten's. 600 was just as clear, but the mirage started picking up and the wind started acting squirly. (gotta work on my wind skills).
Even though the turrets are quite easy to turn, I did not have any problems with it changing during movements to different yard lines. I just tossed the rifle in my drag bag and humped to the next firing point. I think for quick moving tactical matches the turrets may pose a problem with getting bumped.
The half mil hash marks were great help in holding off with switches in the wind.
Well I have to say I think this scope for the price was worth it! It's not quite as bright as the MKiv at 20x, but it cost half as much. In my book it'll give you a good bang for your buck.
cool.gif