• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sightron New releases and other info

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    Sightron has finally updated their excellent SIII line to be more competitive.
    For those that don't know, Sightron has been a favorite of many of the benchrest and f class types because of the high quality, but no frills approach.
    They have very good glass, an excellent reputation for tracking, but have been limited.
    They came out with the excellent SV 4.5-24, but that has been suspended for now, they are redesigning the internals/zero stop feature.
    What WILL be released sometime this summer is the new SIII Precision Long range series, featuring new reticles, illumination, 10 mil turrets (or 20 MOA) and an internal zero stop.
    I really like their products, they seem to have finally gotten the idea that there is a cross over market between tactical shooters and target shooters.
    Here is a link to the 6-24, they also have an 8-32 and a 10-50 for you magnification whores.

https://sightron.com/collections/si...ii-precision-long-range-ffp-6-24x50-zero-stop

Reactions: DIBBS
    I too enjoy the s3 stuff, hard to believe it took them this long to figure out that a bunch of people like zero stops and tree style mil reticles.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    Sweet. I've long been a fan. I have a 20 year old SII 3-12x44 on my hunting rifle.

I don't think they were getting or listening to feedback from their dealers about what would sell. My favorite target scope is a 1/8moa dot, but it's preety useless beyond the 50' indoor rimfire matches I use it for. 1/8moa adjustments are a bitch to try and dial with any speed.

What's really surprising to me, at least looking at their website, is I don't see a single scope geared for hunting.

About time. Glass on them has always been great for the $$, definitely need some new blood in the line though.

Minimum parallax also decreased from 40 to 20 yards... Weight is up about 5 oz over the current, non-illuminated FFP versions.

Just bought the 6-24x50, and sold my PST 2. The glass is much clearer, and brighter on the siii than my vortex was.

It’s a step in the right direction, but I think they could have done much better on the reticle design.

I have an older SIII 6-24x50 that is one of my "load development" scopes. Never had a problem with it. Glass quality is subjective to a point when apples to apples comparisons are made in price categories...but I think optical clarity is better than the Leupold Mark 4s I was using at the time. I still have the Sightron.

I agree that the reticle here might be the limiting factor in sales.

Had SV 4.5-24 prototype in testing for a month or two a while ago and while the glass was excellent,at the price point they simply lacked the features folks expect both in terms of turret and reticle. Offered to do the reticle for them to get them into 21st century,but the management changed a while ago and i kind of, lost touch.

Last edited:
    I like it! Even if it did take way too long to arrive. I’d take this over a Vortex PST 2 any day. I still have my first SIII.

I have a couple older (8-10 yr old ?) SIII 6-24's with MH reticle. They have tracked well and the glass is clear. I liked them better than the PST my son had. Definitely would like to take a look through the new model and zero stop setup..

Had SV 4.5-24 prototype in testing for a month or two a while ago and while the glass was excellent,at the price point they simply lacked the features folks expect both in terms of turret and reticle. Offered to do the reticle for them to get them into 21st century,but the management changed a while ago and i kind of, lost touch.
    I have a 4-5-24, i actually like the reticle very much.
    They are redesigning the guts apparently, so we should see a more traditional zero stop

This looks very good, especially the Mil-Hash reticle. I have a NXS now, but i would certainly give this a try.

Tempting for sure. I may pick one up or wait for the reintroduction of the SV series

Wonder what the street price of the new SIII will be after they have been out for a while?

Wonder what the street price of the new SIII will be after they have been out for a while?
    It looks like the distributors have some of the MOA versions in stock. Looks like the cheap drop shippers have them at:

6-24: $1007
    8-32: $1095
    10-50: $1182

Were the 10-50 SVSS' the only ones with ED glass?

Reactions: DIBBS
    The 4.5-24x56 SVSS also has ED glass. Thanks for the pricing.

the 4.5-24 has been discontinued for the time being.
    shame, it was an awesome scope.

Interesting. It sounds like there has been some sort of a change in personnel at Sightron in the US. I sent them a couple of e-mails and did not get a reply. That has never happened in all the years I've known them.

Ultimately, sticking to a line-up of mid-range FFP scopes may be the right strategy for them. This new PLR 6-24x50 looks like an interesting design and I wonder about the new turrets. The reticle from the SVSS is an improvement over earlier option, but all the dots every half mrad might be busy.

The inexpensive FFP 3-16x42 is also worth glancing at. I did not like the 4-20x too much due to narrow FOV. The 3-16x is also on the narrow side, but wider than the 4-20x. Seems like a step in the right direction, but it is really weird they did not put a tree reticle in it.

Given that they are ignoring me, I will probably hold off digging into it until next year's SHOT and go talk to them there.

ILya

Reactions: lash and ohmosy
    the 4.5-24 has been discontinued for the time being.
    shame, it was an awesome scope.
    Let's hope they bring it back with the improvements it needs to be more competitive.

...Ultimately, sticking to a line-up of mid-range FFP scopes may be the right strategy for them.

ILya
    I don't disagree with you at all in a business sense, but it would be a shame if Sightron were to drop the SVSS before it was fully developed. Do you know if it is their own proprietary design, or is it possibly related to a scope marketed by other brands? If Sightron doesn't have a lot of their own resources and design effort sunk into it, then dropping it might be a more reasonable decision.

Let's hope they bring it back with the improvements it needs to be more competitive.

I don't disagree with you at all in a business sense, but it would be a shame if Sightron were to drop the SVSS before it was fully developed. Do you know if it is their own proprietary design, or is it possibly related to a scope marketed by other brands? If Sightron doesn't have a lot of their own resources and design effort sunk into it, then dropping it might be a more reasonable decision.

Sightron has their own design and manufacturing facility. To the best of my knowledge their 4.5-24x56 design is not used by any other company at the moment. I am not privy to what is coming out so it might be in the future for all I know.

ILya

Reactions: rhsc
    I have one of the 3-16 FFP/ZS S-TACs. It has a narrow field of view with a larger than average outer black ring; so, it presents a small image that appears far away. I wonder if they're blocking the outside of the image to cover edge distortion or tunneling. The touch surfaces are fairly aggressive for bare hands, but should work great with gloves.

Other than those detractors, it's really nice. The image quality is pretty close to the SIIIs I have.