• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Sightron S-TAC 2.5-17.5X56 IR4A Reticle 26009

dasundas

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2018
According to Sightron catalogue 2016 the S-Tac series was new. Sightron 2016 A mix of sorts w/1-7x24, 2-10x42, 3-16x42, 4-20x50 & 2.5-17.5x56. Naturally, I wondered if the 3-16 was a clone of sorts to the 2.5x17.5. The length & FOV appears to have ruled that notion out along w/claim of ED glass in the 7X erector scope. I see a bit here and there on the 4-20, but precious little on the 2.5x17.5. One gent in UK gushed w/rave though for the most part all I hear are crickets.

It would seem that the 2.5-17.5x56 is the only S-Tac w/ED glass. The SV SS ED 10-50x60 & SIII Competition Series 45X45 ED, both in 2018 catalogue are the only other Sightron scopes I see w/ED. Sightron 2018 I'm curious how the S-Tac stacks up against the SIII ED or naught. In the catalouges the S-Tac is listed after the SIII though it was avaialable w/ED glass a year before the only SIII ED offering in the 45x45. Sightron 2017

Granted w/top mag of 17.5X it's hard to compare against glass of 32/45/50/60X. Still, the usual price tag on the S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 isn't far behind some of the larger mag SIII offerings. On one vendor site I seem to recall the 2.5-17.5x56 IR4A reticle as already being discontinued though I have not verified the claim. The oddball of the bunch I suppose, sans typical MRAD/MOA ranging reticle, yet for 631 simoleons & change TTD how could I say no?

As a rule the low-medium mag range doesn't seem to be the cup o' tea du jour, but what the 'ey I thought I'd ask anyway.

4A IR.jpg

I love the German #4 reticle, so I'm sure I'll be a happy camper. Plus, the big claim to fame of ED is reduction of chromatic aberration. This time of year that's easy to check. At times it's hard to quantify a better view, but CA is easy to judge. Going hand in hand if CA is suppressed then the view should be improved as well all other things being equal.

Anywho the IR4A kinda stuck out and I figured that was the reason behind the deal. S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 IR4A

Since the 2.5-17.5 S-Tac came after the SIII, and it had ED from the get go, I wondered how it compared. The SIIISS LR Series 6-24X50 would overlap about 2/3. I also pondered why the 7X erector wasn't offered in a higher range. Such as 4-28 or 5-35. I can see where they might not wish to compete w/10-50 models.

Thanks for the reply & mum's the word though I do not know what the word is to date. I'm sure it's all good.

That reticle would appeal to more than ye auld #4. A 4.5-24X56 would also fit the bill a mite better for the long ranger. For me w/#4 Sightron could've could have used a 1" tube w/less adjustment. Not that I'm complaining I'm just sayin' for short-mid range that would've been fine & dandy. Thing of is had they done just that the ED would never appeared. It's all or nothing. And I'm not knockin' the. #4 it's merely that it was designed to aquire quickly targets larger than a little bullseye.

As I recall a vendor was out & had posted that the model was discontinued. As I checked other sites I noted several listing limited numbers.

ETA: From information gleaned I presumed the #4 was on the way out in the 2.5-17.5x56. Haven't the foggiest what 2019 catalogue might bring, but there's only five deviations shown in 2018. Being IRMOA, IRMH, IRMOA/TT, IRMH/TT & IR4A. Not sure if one could special order a reticle.

Speaking of reticles that is my main concern. At 100yds/2.5x the dot is 5.25 MOA & at 17.5 only shrinks to .75. By comparison the SIII 6-24x50 RD .25 dot comes in at .12 & .03. Time will tell, yet lest me eyes play tricks on me within the illustration of reticle dimensions the red dot appears smaller than the actual measurements listed. The post is listed at 5.95/.85 though those & dot measurements do not jive with what I see online in the catalogue. I do not think it an optical illusion.

ETA II:
From five years ago: " ... 3.5-10×56 is the only model in Sightrons line-up that offers an illuminated dot to go with its German #4 reticle."
From almost nine yrs ago a classified ad for 3.5-10×56 IR4A.
Perhaps premonition of #4 demise in the 2.5-17.5 was premature at best.

ETA III: Lovin' the extended edit. I prefer not to bump me own thread. Granted the #4 is the no frills version, but for a few bucks over six bills from the vendor seemed a fair enough deal. Better than average glass, decent FOV for the price combined w/healthy range of zoom. I've never used illuminating dot, so I'll reserve judgement on that for the time being. Some time this week it should arrive.

ETA IV: For those that stumble upon this thread in searcn of everything Sightron I suggest searching, "why no love Sightron?". Anywho, I found quite a few differing threads that didn't come up w/merely Sightron review. Seems to be a bit of bias about the brand. My scope is as good/better/better value/will own yours etc. The worst example to date: http://www.snipercentral.com/sightron-s-tac-3-16x42mm-full-review/

Here we have a gent do a review in 2014 on a 6-24x50MD that not only was discontinued at the time, but from 2007. I added a comment that I'll wager will not be printed. Howevah, I do not mind sharing that comment here:

http://www.snipercentral.com/sightron-siii-6-24x50mm-side-focus-mildot-scope/#comment-25773

"October 27, 2014, So we ordered a new Sightron 6-24x50mm Side Focus scope with the mildot reticule and have given it a review here."

After the fact when called out in Comments by another:

"This review (written in 2007) was done on the SS624x50MD model"

Who reviews a seven year old scope as ordered new & why? Why wouldn't they announce up front that this "new" purchase was made seven years earlier? The 2014 LRMD also had a larger FOV 16.1-3.9' w/ER of 3.6-3.8" . To add insult to injury you are giving advice in comparing other manufacturers scopes, available in 2017, against a Sightron scope from 2007 that was already discontinued. It's called bias by some & BS by others. Now, 2018, the SV model is available w/ED glass & illumination. BTW, Sightron catalogues are available online in PDF from 2012 to present.

I will give you credit for comparing a discontinued ten yr old Sightron to a Burris XTR II & NF NXS in 2017.
-----------
The review came complete w/hot link to Buy Here scamazon for purchase. The acclaimed street price of $800, circa 2014, is now just under 8 bills, yet for at the very least current 2018 model 25126 SIIISS624X50LRMD/CM instead. Although this review was from 2014 some comments are as late as 2018.

I can appreciate individuals having loyalty to a brand that has served them well. He didn't beat up on the Sightron he just sorta graded a seven yr old model. Not sure when that model was discontinued, but it is no longer in the 2012 catalogue though the very popular SII Blue Sky was still listed.

By not coming out of chute announcing the review was from 2007 at time of posting in 2014 the author discredits the seven yr old Sightron & Sightron in general by default. Maybe he felt he needed to handicap Burris & NF against Sightron ...

YMMV, but that's how it looks to me ...

Last edited: