• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Sightron Scope choices...

You-Two

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Pocatello, ID
Recently picked up a used Savage F-TR .308 rifle and am looking to put a solid scope on it. Currently using a Weaver T24 off another Savage .308 I was shooting previously. This has been a decent scope for the few 600 yd matches I've shot, but I know it has limits. Would like to start attending some of the long range matches at Sac Valley next year and have the opportunity to use my dealer account with Grafs to save some coin on a nice Sightron.

Originally was going to get the 8-32 SIII with TGT DOT for the 1/8 MOA adjustments, but they have been out of stock for a while. Started thinking about the 10-50 model since it is about $820. Not sure if I should go with the DOT or Fine Cross hair model? The 10-50 MOA-2 is a couple hundred more, so not really looking to spend that much. The 8-32 MOA-2 is about $745 though, so I could swing that. Only issue is the 1/4 MOA adjustments. Is that a big deal?

What do you think?
10-50 with DOT or FCH....or the 8-32 with MOA-2 or FCH? Again, this will be mounted on my Savage F-TR purely for F-class matches.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Sightron Scope choices...

I could be wrong but I think most who run the 10-50 use the dot. Plus you really need the 1/8 adjustments.

personnaly I do prefer the FCH, I never liked the dot covering any part of the target i am aiming at, the fine crosshair let me pick the exact spot i want to aim at and if the correction is less than 2 clicks it is easy to hold over.
other than that glass is great and tracking superb on both my SIII

Is the 1/4 inch versus 1/8 inch clicks a limiting factor when one considers hold over? Wouldn't it be easier to hold over, versus dialing in every time conditions change?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 1/4 inch versus 1/8 inch clicks a limiting factor when one considers hold over? Wouldn't it be easier to hold over, versus dialing in every time conditions change?</div></div>

Not sure about 1/4 vs 1/8, but I did learn a valuable lesson at the last match I shot to hold over and not chase with the dials. Much easier for this new shooter to pay attention to the winds looking downrange.

I'm leaning towards the 10-50 with FCH right now...

tried 4 10 x 50 my choicd was to sell and buy a march sent one back to sightron and they sent a target they said they shot with it about 1 1/4 at 100 said that was good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 1/4 inch versus 1/8 inch clicks a limiting factor when one considers hold over? Wouldn't it be easier to hold over, versus dialing in every time conditions change? </div></div>

When shooting F class you will find that you don't want to "hold over". Hold off for wind, sure, but start trying to hold elevation and wind for a 20 shot string and you're not going to be happy with the result week in and week out.

The X ring is only 5" at 1000 yards(~0.5MOA), and the 10 ring is 10", a 1/4MOA click moves you 1/2 the height of the X ring. Your ammo and rifle should hold approx X ring vertical, so if your group looks like it's forming high a 1/4moa click puts it in the same place only low. Trust me, you want 1/8 on your elevation if you are shooting F class. You want to keep the group in the fat part of the circle.

Thanks for the advice and info on 1/8 vs 1/4.

I ended up ordering two 8-32 scopes with the intention of deciding which reticle works best for me - the MOA-2 or the FCH. My current scope is a T24 with Dot, so that type is covered. Want to experiment with the three reticles and see which one I like. Should be able to get most of the money back on either scope selling used, so figured it was a good way to try them out. Downside is the 1/4 clicks, but I am a solid amateur and it probably won't make a difference right now. Bigger fish to fry with my shooting techniques. If or when the 1/4 starts holding me back I'll upgrade.

I'll try to post some pics of the setup when I get the scopes. Hopefully before the Folsom Special on Dec 8th!

I just bought the 8-32x56 TDT SIII and I'm still excited about it. Took a shot at 400 yards and then dialed it for 100 yards and hit dead center 1st shot. Tracks perfect and the 1/8 moa dot doesn't cover much.

I have the 8-32 MOA reticle. Didn't think I would like the dot in the center but at 32x @ 1000 yds the dot covers maybe 1/2 the x ring. The glass is great and clear.
Good Luck !

I have 3 10-50 siii's and I love the MOA reticle with the floating dot. The target dot is good if you need 1/8 clicks. I see the MOA as a tactical reticle/scope and the TD benchrest/Fclass.
Just as an aside, when comparing my 10-50 siii's and my 12-42 nightforce the NF is just BARELY better at resolution at 600.

anyone know what Butler Creek (or other) caps fit the objective for the 10x50 SIII 60mm? Like the optics, hate the cheap caps.

Well...got the opportunity to shoot the FTR at Sac Valley a couple weeks ago in a "Folsom Special" match. Ten shots at 300/500/600/800 for 40 total. Worked well to build some confidence at 300 with the rifle, scope, and my own performance before moving to the longer range lines. Finished 4th out of 8 FTR shooters with a 378-11X. The wind wasn't bad, but I missed the small changes and only got a 90-0X at 600. It was cool when my first two convertable sighters at 500 were Xs though! Shooting Nosler 175CCs with 44.1gr Varget at about 2760fps...which the rifle seems to like. Have a stockpile of the Noslers (1k) and 8 lbs of Varget, so lots of good practice and experience before moving to the 185 Bergers. Great day shooting and fun all around!

Very happy with the MOA-2. Might try the FCH next time just to see the difference.

Here are a few pics of the rifle (Harris is for pics, normally use a Sinclair bipod):

8293674822_a911f2774e_c.jpg

8293674770_fff49abb40_c.jpg

Waiting for the 8-32x was a good decision. I had one for a couple of years on an f-class rifle. Best value for money scope you can buy IMHO. Was really impressed with the reliability and tracking.

I shoot FTR with a Sightron SIII 8 x 32 x 50 with mil dot reticle with MOA adjustments and it works fine for me.

Ill be shooting the 8-32/2MOA this year at the local 600yd comps.
IMG_0798_zpsb70d45f1.jpg

I was always gonna get me one of those scopes..

I had to chance to look through one at a shoot and
I thought it looked terrible fogie.Maybe it was my
eyes,but I wasn't happy with it at all.So I bought
myself a weaver.T 36 clear as crystle...

I like my T24 also...it is a nice piece of glass! The 8-32 just offers more flexibility with mirage and what not.